Peter T Chattaway

Wall-E

You can poke fun at me as much as you care to, but I will still always be an admirer of your reviews.

No no. It's a good thing. (Have you read my sentences???)

At least with regard to your website, I'm not sure there is anything you've written that I haven't read, but your comment here was capable of being read as an ironic construction referring to poor prose style on my part, and in dealing with such a situation, I thought it safer to assume the worst and possibly be surprised when being informed of the best than the other way round.

Edited by bowen

At least with regard to your website, I'm not sure there is anything you've written that I haven't read, but your comment here was capable of being read as an ironic construction referring to poor prose style on my part, and in dealing with such a situation, I thought it safer to assume the worst and possibly be surprised when being informed of the best than the other way round.

If you're that familiar with my writing, you know I have a penchant for elaborate, sometimes almost Rube Goldberg-like constructions and complications. I love tonal contrasts, statistically improbable phrases and jargon. I also greatly enjoy sometimes stepping back from discussing a particular topic to contemplate aspects of the discussion itself. I love being able to observe with confidence that a particular sentence has never before been uttered in human history; and while I wouldn't quite put your sentence in that class, it is still striking enough (even just the phrase "brand equity damage theory", especially in a discussion of an animated film) to warrant the attention and affection directed toward it.

We now return to your regularly scheduled discussion of WALL*E.

Edited by SDG

"Buy" the way... stay through the credits... ALL THE WAY through the credits... if you want to see a funny closing image.

Have you seen the buy'n'large website?

http://www.buynlarge.com/

It is there. Pixar put it there, but I can't find a link to it from the Disney website.

No -- I hadn't seen it! It's a hoot.

Is there a link to this from the WALL-E site?

Not that I have been able to find. I only know about it because of a link to it I saw posted somewhere else. (I don't remember where – it has been a while.) Obviously significant effort went into the site, and it is very funny, but I think it has a rather shadowy existence. Nothing in the press kit referred to it, I assume?

Edited by bowen

Nothing in the press kit referred to it, I assume?

Not that I noticed -- and I'm pretty thorough about going through those things, though I certainly could have missed it. There was certainly no mention of the site during the press conferences, while I was in the hospitality suite, or by other journalists.

"Buy" the way... stay through the credits... ALL THE WAY through the credits... if you want to see a funny closing image.

Heh. Yeah.

OOOH! Nick Fury shows up???? ;)

Oh, my gosh... The Buy N Large site link to the Buy N Large Store is actually functional, and takes you to a Zazzle store. You can actually buy BnL logoed items. Wunner who gets the proceeds?

The Hulk shows up, smashing piles of junk into small cubes alongside WALL-E. WALL-E is so impressed that he agrees to sign up. Turns out the Avengers have stayed on earth to try and eliminate various scourges and contagions...

The Hulk shows up, smashing piles of junk into small cubes alongside WALL-E. WALL-E is so impressed that he agrees to sign up. Turns out the Avengers have stayed on earth to try and eliminate various scourges and contagions...

Actually, that WAS going to be after the credits, but then they moved it to BEFORE the credits.

NOW, after the credits, we see Wall-E and Eve sitting and eating a bowl of dumplings, then the camera pulls back and we see a green shoot rising from the ground.

Oh, my gosh... The Buy N Large site link to the Buy N Large Store is actually functional, and takes you to a Zazzle store. You can actually buy BnL logoed items. Wunner who gets the proceeds?

As a Disney shareholder, I assume it would be me. Buy to your heart's content, I say!

Edited by bowen

And it is absolutely not a political movie, no matter how hard a small faction of political bloggers might try to pin it as one. Yes, it has a message about the environment

And it is absolutely not a political movie, no matter how hard a small faction of political bloggers might try to pin it as one. Yes, it has a message about the environment

I didn't select this out of disagreement...I totally agree...but man...are you trying to pick a fight with the readership? Or that Ted Slater guy??? ;)
Um... maybe a little. :)

Heh. Josh, my review isn't finished yet -- it'll go live tomorrow morning, hopefully as early as possible... but FWIW I gotcher back. :)

Great review, Josh. I'm in full agreement.

But really, you should be ashamed for "relishing" so much trash.

Edited by Overstreet

Heh. That argument doesn't cut the "mustard" here, Overstreet.

Is anyone attacking critics who give the film positive reviews?

Is anyone attacking critics who give the film positive reviews?

Initially...there were more attacks on the people praising the film...like Harry Knowles.

Back when I posted that this movie, if it was as good as Harry Knowles said it was, should be considered for Best Picture, Jeffrey said those of us who write and blog about films should make the case once the film opened. Much discussion ensued about whether we were buying into the hype from unreliable sources, but now that some A&Fers have seen it, it appears to me that the time is right to start making the case for this as a Best Picture nominee. (Greg: You're the exception :) .)

Unfortunately, I wasn't assigned to review the film and haven't even seen the film, so, ummmm, don't wait for me to lead the charge, guys. I will, however, be watching to see who's beating the drum and who isn't. I suspect this idea, which I have no copyright on, will be shared far and wide, so it will be interesting to track the reactions.

Edited by Christian

Harry Knowles and Richard Roeper should always be attacked for everything they do.

I can't add anything to SDG's description of Knowles' merits as a critic earlier in this thread, but I've always had a soft spot for Knowles even when I think he's off his head. His enthusiasm can be so overwhelming and sincere. He's like a big puppy.

Edited by bowen

Good grief. Ebert's fine appreciative review includes a glaring climactic spoiler -- with the spoiler warning after the spoiler, phrased as a question ("...or is that a spoiler?")

I can see where some would consider the plot point in question inevitable, but gosh, I'm glad I hadn't read this going in.