Sign in to follow this  
M. Dale Prins

The making of "12 Stories About Eileen."

: Can I ask what you use and your process for recording audio? Maybe I

: should start another thread about "movie making"...

"When buying a digital video camera for filmmaking purposes," a man once told me, "There is nothing more important than making sure your purchase has a microphone jack." Oh yes. I tried recording some material with just the camera's internal mic, and the ambient noise was dreadful, so about 75 percent of the audio for "Eileen" (and all the non-pilfered audio from "Ernest") was recorded with a $30 (from Circuit City)omnidirectional lavaliere microphone plugged directly into the camera. It worked reasonably well, particularly given that "Eileen" is largely made up of static monologues. I even ended up recording the piano score of the film with the same microphone, because the higher quality set-up I had created for that purpose didn't work for reasons I still don't understand.

The other 25 percent, by the way: Stories 2, 4, 7, and 10 recorded their own dialogue.

Other technical queries welcome, of course, and sometime I will post a list of lessons learned from "Eileen."

Dale

Whoever told you to make sure you have a camera with a mic input was right on the money. Of course, if you're editing digitally, you always could record the audio seperately and sync it up during the editing process, but that's usually a bit more work.

And speaking of editing, what do you use? We edit on a PC with 120GB of HD space, a Matrox RT2000 capture card, Adobe Premiere, Photoshop and After Effects.

What camera do you use Dale? We have a Sony TRV-900 and we use a mid-range AudioTechnica omnidirectional lavaliere microphone. We also have a Rode NT-1 for "studio" recording, although we're working on getting some more (better) equipment. Hopefully we'll actually get a short made one of these days -- we've been doing wedding videography and a few promotional videos for some local companies.

Also, maybe we should move this thread to the Filmmakers section.

I have a AMD 1100 PC with a 70 GB hard drive that I put together myself. (I put together the computer, not the hard drive; I'm not that much of a technogeek.) I use Premiere 6.0 and the same version of Photoshop.

My MiniDV camera is a Samsung SCD67, which is about as low-end as MiniDV cameras get. As long as I make sure to overlight everything, however -- one of the lessons I learned from "Eileen" -- it suits my purposes perfectly. My AudioTechnica omnidirectional lavaliere microphone is the very lowest end, as the cost no doubt implies.

: Hopefully we'll actually get a short made one of these days -- we've

: been doing wedding videography and a few promotional videos for some

: local companies.

Dude, get your butt in gear and do it. I do not accept "hopefully"s. I recorded and edited about 80 percent of "Ernest" in one weekend; surely there is some film idea you have that could be done in not much more time. If you do not, you could always do an adaptation of a bad play. Adaptation's where the money is.

Dale