Geico "Cavemen" to get comedy series on ABC?

John Drew

I LOVE these commercials!

Whether or not a sustained comedy series can be made is another question, but I'll definitely give it a shot.

Story here

They need to keep the same actors... or at least the one pictured in the link above. He has the greatest peeved look of any caveman I've ever seen (sorry Ringo Starr).

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

"Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You just can't let the world judge you too much." - Maude 
Harold and Maude

Perhaps they can call it Encino Man II.

The idea has promise, but I wonder how much material such a concept warrents. I could see it being a very funny, well-done 6-11 episode type show, but a long-running show? I'm not sure the material is there. How many episodes can you have where the caveman is misunderstood and gets frustrated about stereotypes.

"It is scandalous for Christians to have an imagination starved for God." - Mark Filiatreau

I write occasionally at Unfamiliar Stars.

So, I wonder if Geico will sponsor this or if every episode will have a Geico reference.

I agree with Baal_T'shuvah, this caveman has the best expressions, especially the exasperated moment in the avatar commercial.

...the kind of film criticism we do. We are talking about life, and more than that the possibility of abundant life." -M.Leary

"Dad, how does she move in mysterious ways?"" -- Jude (my 5-year-old, after listening to Mysterious Ways)

[once upon a time known here as asher]

Six episodes. That's what I give this. Because some writer will make this into a sitcom, not a comedy. But my favorite commercial is the one with the caveman in the airport. Love the techno-pop music and the wordless scene.

I don't love them, but I have gone from sheer hate to tolerable. I think because they did a series of commercials. I couldn't stand the first one and it ran on and on and on. Was so irritating.

If they did a TV show, then I expect it to bomb out pretty fast. Something like this may be good for a commercial, but not for 20 minute episodes.

Subtlety is underrated

Perhaps they can call it Encino Man II.

The idea has promise, but I wonder how much material such a concept warrents. I could see it being a very funny, well-done 6-11 episode type show, but a long-running show? I'm not sure the material is there. How many episodes can you have where the caveman is misunderstood and gets frustrated about stereotypes.

A truly creative comedy writing staff could keep this thing afloat for years. Look at "3rd Rock from the Sun." I was certain it would die in just 13 episodes. I lasted (I think??) 5 years and won several Emmy's.

INT. HOLY TRINITY CHURCH - SANCTUARY - NIGHT

FATHER LORENZO

So now that you've told me all of this: why do you hold such a deep aversion to discussing angels?

PASTOR DAVID

Because I don't wanna get it WRONG! To stand up in front of my congregation--AND in front of God-- and screw it up! Do you hold much stock in that passage from James that says "We who teach will be judged more strictly"??

FATHER LORENZO

Yes... in fact .... I consider that one scripture to be an occupational hazard.