Sign in to follow this  
gigi

Bob Dylan's Theme Time Radio Hour

[i searched, honestly I did, so if it already exists, apologies]

Bob Dylan has been presenting a 'theme time radio hour' show for a few months now. I understand that it originally is broadcast in the US on XM Radio (digital), but in the UK goes out on Radio 6 (again - digital).

XM Radio

Dylan's Radio 6 page

Radio 6 has a 'listen again' feature which is particularly handy as it goes out on Friday night's, but it's for UK listeners only unfortunately. The last theme was 'the devil'.

The guy knows his sh*t.

"There is, it would seem, in the dimensional scale of the world a kind of delicate meeting place between imagination and knowledge, a point, arrived at by diminishing large things and enlarging small ones, that is intrinsically artistic" - Vladimir Nabokov

From Billboard:

Bob Dylan has signed on for a second season of his show on XM Satellite Radio, "Theme Time Radio Hour," premiering in September. The first season of the show concludes today with a program devoted to the theme of "spring cleaning." XM will then air the complete first season beginning May 26 on its channel the Village.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

I. Love. This. Show.

My friend Bryan made me a CD of an episode, and I love it. I love Dylan's dry, amusing commentary. The focus on lyrics. The fact that you can hear things he borrowed for his own music from the selections he plays here.

And special guests! T-Bone Burnett called in.

Now I want XM just so I can hear the whole series. Anybody know another way I can tune in?

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

Terry Teachout:

Toward the end of the show, he introduced a gospel number by the Five Blind Boys of Mississippi by gently chiding listeners who turn up their noses at songs on religious themes: "Any time people sing about what they believe, it elevates it. You don't have to be a junkie to enjoy the Velvet Underground song 'Heroin.' You don't have to have horns and a pitchfork to enjoy 'Sympathy for the Devil,' but it does help. The thing is, it's all music, and when the people believe what they're singing, it's just better." ...

[T]he point of "Theme Time Radio Hour" ... is dedicated to the admirable proposition that no well-rounded cultural diet is complete without a weekly dose of whatever.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

Near the beginning of August, sanshiro_sugata and I drove to visit his family in South Carolina before school started. This show got us through about twelve hours of being in the car, several wrong turns and kept us laughing and thinking. It also provided wonderful entertainment on the way back up towards school. I've never been a huge fan of Bob Dylan, and wasn't sure I was going to like this, but...holy crap. It was pretty amazing. I'm being dragged towards fandom because of this.