Sign in to follow this  
sadida

Attack of the Clones - it's been a while

I just re-watched this movie as well because I discovered Ayesha Dharker after watching Outsourced - then realized the only other movie I'd seen with her in it was Attack of the Clones (she's princess Jamilia). That woman can act. My ranking: 1. Ep 1, 2. Ep 2 3. Ep 3 4. Ep VI 5. Ep V 6. Ep. IV... and I liked the ewoks AND Jar-Jar.

I just finished re-watching "The Attack of the Clones" (a very misleading title, by the way) and I have to say that I really, really enjoyed it. I understand that it constantly ranks in the bottom of everyone's rankings of the saga, but I think it's unfairly maligned, all because of the hokey and uneven Anakin/Padme relationship. If someone in the Lucasfilm camp had had the nads to stand up to Lucas on that, it could have been one of the best of the series, IMO.

I have to admit though, the comedic value of the dialogue between Anakin and Padme does almost make it worthwhile

Persona   

This is excellent, I'll have to remember this thread. I just rewatched Episode One and Jar Jar was only slightly less annoying, and overall I enjoyed it more than the first time in the theater. My current goal is to watch all six films in chronological order in the next 8-10 days. I'll have to weigh in and report.

Links to the threads on Episode I, Episode III, Episode IV, Episode V and the 2004 and 2006 editions of Episodes IV, V and VI on DVD, as well as The Clone Wars and the various rumoured TV series (plus one quasi-duplicate thread on the comedy series).

See also the threads on 'Star Wars Debate Redux' (which began as a place to bash Episode II, which is the topic of this thread, but it broadened out from there sufficiently so that I don't think an "ahem" is required here; Jul 8 - Nov 11, 2003), 'Sci fi = spiritual? Star Wars, X2, etc.' (Apr 12-14, 2004), 'Best Star Wars Movie? (with poll; Apr 18-20, 2004), Top 100 Discussion: The Star Wars original trilogy?' (May 6-7, 2004), 'Is Star Wars Blasphemous?' (Jun 15 - Jul 25, 2005), 'Star Wars in 20 minutes' (Aug 8-9, 2006) and 'Star Wars: Uncut' (Apr 2010 - present).

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

Persona   

re: The Clones.

Wow, did that film suck.

And what a stupid name for a movie, for the record.

I think Lone Tomato put the hammer on the head when he said:

I am convinced (but don't know how to prove) that going all digital was what killed the Star Wars series. Directors need technical obstacles but with the technical and financial clout that Lucas has, there are no limits. Thus, instead of seeing only his best ideas on screen we see all of them and we end up with a movie that looks like a Myst screensaver.

I am not enjoying myself in this effort like I thought I was going to.

Remember the good old days when there were no episodes 1-3? You used to be able to watch the whole thing in one night (eps 4-6) and have a really freaky, cool-ass space dream.

Now you gotta drudge thru this dreck for days at a time, making you more likely to quit before you even get to the good stuff. And then when you get to the "good" stuff, it only lasts for two movies anyway, before there are little flying muppet-monkeys on the screen that ruin the whole thing anyway, if memory serves correct.

I'm not paid for this crap, but dangit, somebody's gotta do this in chronological order. Why, oh why does it have to be me?

Maybe I should just go back to being a pretentious little foreign film snob. But I was trying to do something for mankind, go mainstream, be nice, know the culture, etc etc. Only to find out that if this is the good stuff, then culture stinks.

Now I'm worked up and typing hard and sweating. Think I'll go watch the Superbowl pregame show or maybe read my Bible.

Edited by stef

Now I'm worked up and typing hard and sweating. Think I'll go watch the Superbowl pregame show or maybe read my Bible.

Yes, um - two closely related options, stef.

re: The Clones.

Wow, did that film suck.

And what a stupid name for a movie, for the record.

I think Lone Tomato put the hammer on the head when he said:

I am convinced (but don't know how to prove) that going all digital was what killed the Star Wars series. Directors need technical obstacles but with the technical and financial clout that Lucas has, there are no limits. Thus, instead of seeing only his best ideas on screen we see all of them and we end up with a movie that looks like a Myst screensaver.

I am not enjoying myself in this effort like I thought I was going to.

Remember the good old days when there were no episodes 1-3? You used to be able to watch the whole thing in one night (eps 4-6) and have a really freaky, cool-ass space dream.

Now you gotta drudge thru this dreck for days at a time, making you more likely to quit before you even get to the good stuff. And then when you get to the "good" stuff, it only lasts for two movies anyway, before there are little flying muppet-monkeys on the screen that ruin the whole thing anyway, if memory serves correct.

I'm not paid for this crap, but dangit, somebody's gotta do this in chronological order. Why, oh why does it have to be me?

Maybe I should just go back to being a pretentious little foreign film snob. But I was trying to do something for mankind, go mainstream, be nice, know the culture, etc etc. Only to find out that if this is the good stuff, then culture stinks.

Stef and Lone Tomato,

I came across an old tape I had of the PBS special "From Star Wars to Jedi: The Making of a Saga". In it, there is a quote from George on the advances in special effects from the first film to the third. I'm paraphrasing here, but Lucas uses the metaphor of a painters pallet to describe these advances. In the first film, he had 9 colors with which to paint, but now in "Jedi" that pallet has expanded to about 40 colors with which to paint. It's at this point that Lucas says something that I wish he had gone back and listened to before starting the new trilogy. He says that just because he has all these new techniques does not mean he can rely on them to tell the story. "Special effects are just a tool. A great special effect without a good story is a pretty boring thing." And that, for me, about sums up the new trilogy.

Oh, by the way....

New 'Star Wars' Feature Coming to Theaters

Lucasfilm plans to introduce its upcoming animated TV series, Star Wars: The Clone Wars with a 90-minute 3-D theatrical version on August 15, the company said Monday. Somewhat surprisingly, the film will be released by Warner Bros. rather than 20th Century Fox, which released all of the previous Star Wars features. The TV series, however, will air on the Cartoon Network, a corporate sibling of Warner Bros. In a statement, Warner distribution chief Dan Fellman said, "This is a breakthrough project, returning Star Wars to the big screen in a completely new way while beginning an exciting new chapter in George Lucas's legendary saga. We immediately felt that it would be a fantastic theatrical event and are thrilled to be bringing it to moviegoers."
Edited by Baal_T'shuvah

Good to see that Lucas is hard at work on all of those "art films" for adults he was so eager to develop.

Persona   

I think after last month I've finally made peace with these films. I've forgiven Clones for its overindulgences, only because they lead to the series' best movie: Revenge of the Sith.

It was fun to watch them all in order, I do recommend it if ever anyone gets the chance. Going from episode 3 to 4 is enlightening. Sure, the effects in 4 now look awful. But the cohesiveness, for the most part, is amazing. The story actually does continue from the first trilogy to the next, and quite well. It amazes me that George was able to do this, years apart, and in the order of the second trilogy first.

It really makes me wish that someone would complete the films with the third trilogy. Anyone ever heard any rumors of this?

Final faves ranking from the February viewings:

1. Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith (best)

2. Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back

3. Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi (although the ewoks really are annoying)

4. Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope

5. Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace

6. Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones

I'll have to compare that to the list above...

Edited by stef

Final faves ranking from the February viewings:

1. Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith (best)

2. Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back

3. Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi (although the ewoks really are annoying)

4. Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope

5. Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace

6. Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones

I'll have to compare that to the list above...

:blink:

The only thing cool in Ep 3 was when Anakin's legs got chopped off.

Persona   

It's a working list... It could change over time. :)

Since this was the film that introduced the adult (I use the word loosely) Anakin ...

- - -

Ryan Phillippe Recalls Missing Out On Anakin Role In 'Star Wars' Prequels

Of course, the winning candidate was Hayden Christensen, but Phillippe -- soon to be seen in this weekend's "Stop-Loss" -- confirmed to MTV News that he nearly had the part, making it so far as to meet with George Lucas and Queen Amidala herself.

MTV Movies Blog, March 27

I've been organizing my chaotic file cabinet, and it's been a weekend full of unexpected surprises...

... like discovering a list I made right before seeing Star Wars, Episode II: Attack of the Clones.

It's a Top 10 list, except that, in keeping with my tendency to over-write, I made it 12.

I'd forgotten all about it, and, to my surprise, it made me laugh.

So forgive me. Here goes...

TOP TWELVE BIGGEST SURPRISES AWAITING STAR WARS FANS IN EPISODE TWO

12. Jar-Jar Binks replaced with Yo-Yo Ma

11. Revelation: Anakin Skywalker didn't just build C3PO. He also built the Millennium Falcon.

10. Boba Fett kills the Sarlaac's father, leaving the Sarlaac broken-hearted and vowing revenge.

9. It was all a dream.

8. The actor playing all of the clones turns out to be Steve Taylor.

7. Halfway through, the Jedi discover that the Trade Federation representatives are actually guys in rubber masks.

6. As Jar Jar congratulates Obi-wan on a successful duel, Obi-wan suddenly slaps him in the face and accuses him of being a bad racial stereotype.

5. Watchful viewers will discover, hanging on the wall of Anakin's chamber, a bewildering mystery: Boss Nass frozen in carbonite.

4. When Count Dooku challenges Yoda, the audience is shocked as Yoda suddenly becomes very still and Frank Oz walks out with a lightsabre.

3. A gasp rocks the theater when, just before the credits roll, as ominous music rises, Darth Maul's severed legs are seen stalking along behind Obi-wan.

2. In Star Wars' first scene involving childbrith, we learn why one of the Star Wars heroes is named Wedge.

1. During an idyllic picnic scene, we learn the long-concealed meaning of the terms "power coupling" and "reverse power coupling."

I highly, HIGHLY recommend introducing yourself to RiffTrax. Their commentary on Attack of the Clones was one of the greatest comic highlights in the past year for my wife and me.

http://www.rifftrax.com

Nick

I've been organizing my chaotic file cabinet, and it's been a weekend full of unexpected surprises...

... like discovering a list I made right before seeing Star Wars, Episode II: Attack of the Clones.

It's a Top 10 list, except that, in keeping with my tendency to over-write, I made it 12.

I'd forgotten all about it, and, to my surprise, it made me laugh.

So forgive me. Here goes...

TOP TWELVE BIGGEST SURPRISES AWAITING STAR WARS FANS IN EPISODE TWO

12. Jar-Jar Binks replaced with Yo-Yo Ma

11. Revelation: Anakin Skywalker didn't just build C3PO. He also built the Millennium Falcon.

10. Boba Fett kills the Sarlaac's father, leaving the Sarlaac broken-hearted and vowing revenge.

9. It was all a dream.

8. The actor playing all of the clones turns out to be Steve Taylor.

7. Halfway through, the Jedi discover that the Trade Federation representatives are actually guys in rubber masks.

6. As Jar Jar congratulates Obi-wan on a successful duel, Obi-wan suddenly slaps him in the face and accuses him of being a bad racial stereotype.

5. Watchful viewers will discover, hanging on the wall of Anakin's chamber, a bewildering mystery: Boss Nass frozen in carbonite.

4. When Count Dooku challenges Yoda, the audience is shocked as Yoda suddenly becomes very still and Frank Oz walks out with a lightsabre.

3. A gasp rocks the theater when, just before the credits roll, as ominous music rises, Darth Maul's severed legs are seen stalking along behind Obi-wan.

2. In Star Wars' first scene involving childbrith, we learn why one of the Star Wars heroes is named Wedge.

1. During an idyllic picnic scene, we learn the long-concealed meaning of the terms "power coupling" and "reverse power coupling."

Mr. Plinkett's 9 part review of Attack of the Clones is finally here. Glorious! You'll have to follow the YouTube link to see all 9 parts.

I saw this last night, and yeah, that's a brilliant segment, for sure (though I really don't dig the psycho-narrator stuff; I mean, I can tolerate it, but it limits my ability to forward these videos to friends of mine).

My own favorites are the bit in Part 1 where he contrasts Alec Guinness's "and he was a good friend" line with Ewan McGregor's constant annoyance with Anakin (starting around the 4:39 mark)...:

...and the bit in Part 9 where he compiles a rather extension collection of clips showing how Attack of the Clones rips off The Empire Strikes Back:

Incidentally, I finally got around to seeing The Phantom Edit last week and, uh, wow, The Phantom Menace is bad, even in that trimmed-down form. I had kind of forgotten just HOW bad, but yeah, it's bad.

And yet, even as bad as it is, it does set up some interesting ideas that the OTHER prequels simply failed to build on. I mean, c'mon. If you're going to introduce midichlorians, and if you're going to establish that Anakin was conceived without a father, and if you're going to establish that his mother moved to Tatooine (or was it simply to that particular PART of Tatooine? in any case, the mystery remains: WHERE did they move from...?) when he was 3 years old, and so on and so forth, then it's pretty dumb for Episode III to dance right up to the possibility that Palpatine (the senator from Tatooine's neighbouring planet, Naboo) and/or his Sith master CREATED Anakin without actually spelling it out as such. Payoff, guys, payoff!

I agree that the "psycho, basement dweller" stuff is a bit much at times, perhaps to the point where this review could have been trimmed to 8 installments. But, I would rather watch Plinkett's review again, than revisit the movie. My favorite part was the moment in Part 8, where Plinkett catches himself referencing The Phantom Menace as a "positive example" while ripping into "The Big Dumb Ending" of Attack of the Clones.

Overall, I think TPM review is better, but this is still highly entertaining stuff. I can't wait until Revenge of the Sith gets similar treatment.

Whoa. "This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by The Cartoon Network, Inc.." What the heck sort of claim do THEY have on this footage? I don't believe these reviews get into any of the Clone Wars series, and even if they did, there's a little thing called "fair use" that ought to come into play here.

Whoa. "This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by The Cartoon Network, Inc.." What the heck sort of claim do THEY have on this footage? I don't believe these reviews get into any of the Clone Wars series, and even if they did, there's a little thing called "fair use" that ought to come into play here.

I honestly can't remember any clips from Clone Wars, unless it was during the "montage of lightsabers" bit. If it's something short like that, then I agree about the "fair use" argument. It may also be something that could be quickly edited out. Hopefully this will be up and running again soon.

edit: so, apparently it's just Part 1 that has been removed. Parts 2 through 8 are still available to watch.

Edited by Baal_T'shuvah

Just watched the review (well, parts 2 through 9, anyway). Some of it's pretty funny, but it's not as good as his take on THE PHANTOM MENACE, perhaps because so many of the plot holes and flaws are more obvious this time around. In PHANTOM MENACE, he was pointing out plenty of things I'd never considered. With ATTACK OF THE CLONES, there wasn't a whole lot of stupidity to reveal. It's all there, right in your face.

(Geez, the prequels are really terrible, aren't they?)

Persona   
(Geez, the prequels are really terrible, aren't they?)

Yes.

I can't wait to watch these. I guess I'll copy Ryan and watch 2 thru 9 for now.

Is the guy who made these named Michael Plinkett?

I'll never forget watching his Phantom Menace Review. His review is way more interesting and entertaining than the film itself.

Edited by Persona