Sign in to follow this  
TexasWill

AppleTV

No -- brag on!/quote]

Oh, not too interested in bragging yet. I've been so busy I haven't had time to really play with it much.

The only thing I will say about it now is that it works much better than I expected, and the picture quality surpasses my expectations.

I'm not really interested because [1]Apple doesn't offer a subscription model (yet) for iTunes...

While I'm not convinced that a subscription model would be a good thiing for music, I think it would be very good for video. And AppleTV would be a great way to move that content to the television.

I expect Apple to break down and offer "rentals" or a subscription model for video within the year.

...and [2]it doesn't record cable TV.

There are ways to set up an Elgato tuner to record and package video for replay on the AppleTV, but not yet a neat self-contained solution. I'm guessing there will be some nice third-party add-ons to provide this capability soon. I'm thinking that Apple had its reasons not to add that functionality, but they've left the AppleTV wide-open for hackers and third-party firms to modify and upgrade. The AppleTV has barely reached the hands of consumers and there are already multiple hacks, modifications and upgrades to the box.

Edited by TexasWill

Does anyone have an AppleTV yet, besides me?

Not yet, but I still don't have an HDTV yet (a situation that will hopefully change when we redo our basement this year).

Does anyone have an AppleTV yet, besides me?

Not yet, but I still don't have an HDTV yet (a situation that will hopefully change when we redo our basement this year).

Man, I don't even have a basement.

Man, I don't even have a basement.

Well, we have a basement, but it's not really much. Half of it is unfinished, and the other half is only barely finished. I think revamping it will be our primary home improvement project for 2007.

The AppleTV has barely reached the hands of consumers and there are already multiple hacks, modifications and upgrades to the box.

No kidding. Looks like folks are already turning it into a full-fledged desktop machine -- albeit a low-powered one -- as well as a web server.

Forgive my ignorance, but why would one want to turn the AppleTV into a low-powered computer?

Forgive my ignorance, but why would one want to turn the AppleTV into a low-powered computer?

Never underestimate the geek's urge to tinker.

That's a fair review.

I like our AppleTV very much, but I'll be much happier when the iTunes store gets upgraded. Since yesterday, I have used conversion software to prep about 10 hours of video I have on my hard drives to sync/stream with AppleTV, and all of stuff that was originally high-quality source material looks very good.

After reading that review, I'd say the Apple TV fits the Apple MO to a T. A beautiful, satisfying user interface that works extremely well if you use it exactly the way Apple wants you to and only that way. That in a nutshell sums up for me the difference between Mac and Windows - one of them looks pretty and works great within it's intended box, one of them will do almost anything you want it to do, but it's a pain in the a** to get it there.

I've got a dedicated HTPC (running SageTV) that's been going strong for about a year now. Whenever things like this come out, I await it with eager anticipation, because it's just the kind of stuff I like. But unfortunately there's not a single thing about the Apple TV that appeals to me that I haven't been able to do for the last year with my current setup, and LOTS of things that immediately turn me off. I'll ignore all the stuff it can't do that it obviously just isn't mean to do (DVR, DVD, etc.) and just focus on what it IS designed for:

- no full spec HD content?

- no DD or DTS??

- H.264 or Mpeg4 only?

- no direct downloads?

It's what I love and hate about Macs all rolled into one. And why I'm still using Windows.