AL Central: Tigers

AL East: (sigh) Damn Yankees

AL Wild Card: Native Americans

World series:Yankee bats over Padre pitching

Edited by Darrel Manson
A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

I love it. Not a Cardinal in the lot. :)

That said, I think the Mets have the best shot at NL East, barring injuries. I don't know about NL Central. Except that I highly doubt the Cardinals will be in the running this year.

Of course, I was predicting a Mets/Yankees WS last year (I think), so what do I know? ;)

ETA: I think the Cubs are a sleeper team this year and will surprise us. I don't know if they'll get the division, necessarily, but I think they'll place well.

Edited by Ann D.
Subtlety is underrated

Think of the promo opportunities for the Cubbies for next year if they don't win it all this year (if?)

After 100 years, we're due.

Celebrating the Centennial of our last Series win. Old Timers Day will feature all the surviving players.

100 years -- top that!

Free season tickets to anyone who had a season ticket the last time we won the Series.

-from the film
Armin

I love it. Not a Cardinal in the lot. :)

That said, I think the Mets have the best shot at NL East, barring injuries. I don't know about NL Central. Except that I highly doubt the Cardinals will be in the running this year.

Of course, I was predicting a Mets/Yankees WS last year (I think), so what do I know? ;)

ETA: I think the Cubs are a sleeper team this year and will surprise us. I don't know if they'll get the division, necessarily, but I think they'll place well.

I retain a soft spot for the Cubbies, but I just don't see it happening this year. They will mash with anybody, but in the pitching department, there's Carlos Zambrano, and then there's, er, Carlos Zambrano. Yeah, I know, there's Mark Pryor and Kerry Wood. But I'll believe that when I see it.

The Cards lost too much pitching during the off season, I suspect.

And I'm telling you, the team to watch out for in the NL Central is the Cincinnati Reds. They can hit. And now, with the exception of Houston, they have the best pitching in the division. They have three very solid starters good for 200+ innings each. And their bullpen is significantly improved. I think that combination will win the NL Central. Not that they'll move beyond the NLDS. Still, I think this is going to be a fun MLB season in Ohio. The Tribe is due to live up to their potential. And the Reds will surprise many people.

Of course, I also predicted Kerry (John, not Wood) over Bush in 2004. What do I know?

Of course, I also predicted Kerry (John, not Wood) over Bush in 2004. What do I know?

Really....!?!?!

BTW, I'm a Reds fan, and I don't even think they'll do as well as they did last year.

Edited by Michael Todd

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

I retain a soft spot for the Cubbies, but I just don't see it happening this year. They will mash with anybody, but in the pitching department, there's Carlos Zambrano, and then there's, er, Carlos Zambrano. Yeah, I know, there's Mark Pryor and Kerry Wood. But I'll believe that when I see it.
The reason I think so is because of new management. I'll be honest--I don't know much about Lou Piniella and even less about his win/loss ratio or management style, but I think having anyone other than Dusty Baker managing should help the Cubs. Dusty relied way too much on the Pryor/Wood combo, even when it was obvious that the combo didn't work. So I wouldn't be surprised if they placed second or third.

The Cards lost too much pitching during the off season, I suspect.

I'm not concerned about the pitching so much as I am the outfield. Edmonds is slowing way down, our regular right outfielder is out for now, and they are rotating left and right fields between Preston Wilson and So Taguchi, neither of which are regular starters.

Subtlety is underrated

I haven't been too impressed with the Cardinals offense the first couple of games. I think they'll do OK in the long run and they'll compete pretty well, though I think the Brewers will pull out the division with their pitching.

Other wise, I'll go with Padres and Mets in their divisions, with the Giants getting the Wild Card. In the AL, Yankees/Red Sox, White Sox, and the Angels.

I'm picking the Mets will beat the Yankees in the World Series. The Mets have a lot to prove this year, and if they have a healthy Pedro for the playoffs they should be good enough to win it all.

Da Bears.

-s.

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

• 11 months later...

Time for the annual guessing game prognostications about the baseball season.

National League (home of real baseball):

West: Colorado

Central: Cincinnati (thus will the Cubs complete their 100th consecutive season without winning the World Series)

East: Mets

Wild Card: Los Dodgers

Pennant: Mets

The Junior Circuit

West: Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim

Central: White Sox

East: Boston

Wild Card: Seattle

Pennant: Seattle

World Champs: Mets

-from the film
Armin

NL West: Dodgers

NL central: Cubs

NL East: Mets

NL Wild Card: D'Backs

AL West: Angels

AL Central: Tigers

AL East: Red Sox

AL Wild Card: Indians

World Series: Tigers over Cubs

NL West: Rockies

NL central: Cubs

NL East: Mets

NL Wild Card: Phillies

AL West: Angels

AL Central: Indians

AL East: Red Sox

AL Wild Card: Tigers

World Series: Indians over Mets

Forget about the silly Cubs and their 100 years of futility. We're talking almost 50 years of sustained futility on all professional sports levels that will be ended in October, 2008. Plus, it's Cleveland. There's still snow on the ground. Give the poor unemployed steel workers a break.

So some of you really think Torre will make that much difference for the Dodgers this year? Not that I wouldn't like to see it. He was a favorite player of mine as a kid.

Really now, the Tribe? A man can dream though, can't he?

Edited by Rich Kennedy

"During the contest trial, the Coleman team presented evidence of a further 6500 absentees that it felt deserved to be included under the process that had produced the prior 933 [submitted by Franken, rk]. The three judges finally defined what constituted a 'legal' absentee ballot. Countable ballots, for instance, had to contain the signature of the voter, complete registration information, and proper witness credentials.

But the panel only applied the standards going forward, severely reducing the universe of additional basentees the Coleman team could hope to have included. In the end, the three judges allowed about 350 additional absentees to be counted. The panel also did nothing about the hundreds, possibly thousands, of absentees that have already been legally included, yet are now 'illegal' according to the panel's own ex-post definition."

The Wall Street Journal editorial, April 18, 2009 concerning the Franken Coleman decision in the Minnesota U.S. Senate race of 2008.