• 3 months later...
  • Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard a rumor the other day that this might not even get a theatrical release due to the down mood in the country. Straight to video. I find that hard to believe. Any rumblings about this?

A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

I just realized that I posted this in the wrong thread (the thread about the book).

So here's what I posted:

What the heck?

This writer is talking about The Road as if he's seen it.

Philosophically, Blindness raises an important question about the fine line between humanity and inhumanity, order and chaos: At what point do individuals cease to behave like human beings and turn into animals whose sole concern is survival?

In the same fashion, John Hillcoat

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Wow.

Looks like they're filling in some of the blanks. Are they going to *explain* the apocalypse? Are they going for some kind of global-warming exposition? That would be a bold move, and kind of a shame, since some of the book's strengths come from the lack of explanation. (A lot like Time of the Wolf, actually. I've wondered if McCarthy saw that film.)

Edited by Overstreet

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

Looks like they're filling in some of the blanks. Are they going to *explain* the apocalypse? Are they going for some kind of global-warming exposition? That would be a bold move, and kind of a shame, since some of the book's strengths come from the lack of explanation. (A lot like Time of the Wolf, actually. I've wondered if McCarthy saw that film.)

I read a blurb online where Hillcoat heard about the "explanation" stuff in the trailer, and it was news to him. Hopefully the studio didn't add that in. Hopefully, it might just be one of those trailer-only deals to get people interested enough to go in.

I've seen many people (mostly IMDb 'lol' types) suggest that last point, Jeff. There are certainly lots of similarities, and I know McCarthy was working on the book around the time Heneke's movie came out.

I'm of mixed feelings. On the one hand, it's pretty obvious that they've captured the devastation and worldwide cataclysm. On the other hand, the trailer makes it look like a fairly run-of-the-mill action/adventure film, when it's anything but. The trailer also makes me wonder whether or not they've captured the grimly beautiful poetry of the novel, or just focused on the aforementioned devastation.

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook

The trailer also makes me wonder whether or not they've captured the grimly beautiful poetry of the novel, or just focused on the aforementioned devastation.

I've read a few reactions that fans of the novel posted online (from test screenings), and they said that the movie hits home runs regarding tone and imagery. (A few mention that Hillcoat really does focus on the father-son relationship, which is more vital than anything else in the book.) Which is why I'm sort of frustrated that the studio chose to just show crap blowing up (which does happen in the book, but...they probably just took every single second of action from the movie and made a trailer out of it).

Wow. As someone who loves the book, that trailer makes me angry. I hope it's just marketing crap and not actually representative of the film.

"You guys don't really know who you're dealing with."

"Oh yeah, and who exactly are we dealing with?"

"I'm the mother flippin' rhymenoceros."

Never trust a trailer.

Go watch The Proposition again. That's the director we're dealing with. Consider the

for that. That trailer is a little more thoughtful, a little less concerned with blowing things up. Even so, it's quite a different experience than the finished film itself.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

The problem for the studio is that they're promising something very different than what audiences will get. They're promising Mad Max with Aragorn and a kid. I know they got to make their money back, but wow, they're not being very creative, are they? They should put clips of the Terminator walking around shooting at people. That might get butts in seats, too.

I read a blurb online where Hillcoat heard about the "explanation" stuff in the trailer, and it was news to him. Hopefully the studio didn't add that in. Hopefully, it might just be one of those trailer-only deals to get people interested enough to go in.

I've seen many people (mostly IMDb 'lol' types) suggest that last point, Jeff. There are certainly lots of similarities, and I know McCarthy was working on the book around the time Heneke's movie came out.

I hope you're right Jason. I completely agree with Jeffrey on this one. That's one misleading (from all I've read) trailer.

"A director must live with the fact that his work will be called to judgment by someone who has never seen a film of Murnau's." - François Truffaut

Twitter.
Letterboxd.

Reviews and essays at Three Brothers Film.

The problem for the studio is that they're promising something very different than what audiences will get. They're promising Mad Max with Aragorn and a kid. I know they got to make their money back, but wow, they're not being very creative, are they? They should put clips of the Terminator walking around shooting at people. That might get butts in seats, too.

:lol: about the Terminator. This preview reminded me of the teaser trailer for 28 days later..., which was dominated by scenes of turmoil in the streets, rioting, and bit of the ol' ultraviolence. Yet, when these scenes played out in the actual film, they turned out to be on a video loop and limited to the first minute of screen time. The film we actual saw was completely different than what was in the trailer (for the better, I might add). Hopefully this is all studio hype... from what I read in the Esquire review, these images don't actually appear in The Road.

Edited by Baal_T'shuvah

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

"Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You just can't let the world judge you too much." - Maude 
Harold and Maude

I hope you're right Jason. I completely agree with Jeffrey on this one. That's one misleading (from all I've read) trailer.

Me too. Still, even if they muck up the movie with some of this clutter, I'll still be there on opening day. I wonder if good ol' Mr. McCarthy is going to leave his academic hideyhole and go see this?

Me too. Still, even if they muck up the movie with some of this clutter, I'll still be there on opening day. I wonder if good ol' Mr. McCarthy is going to leave his academic hideyhole and go see this?

Did he do that for No Country For Old Men?

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook

He's already seen it. There are a few articles floating around about his response to an early screening, and how he was nit-picking about some lines of dialogue that had been rewritten for the film, but that for the most part the film was quite faithful to the book. Of course, the studio might have messed with that since then.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

• 1 month later...

Re: those Charlize Theron scenes, Roger Friedman says she appears "in flashbacks".

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

• 2 months later...
Early reactions are coming in. Looks bleak -- like the story itself.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

I will see it based on that still alone.

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

Early reactions are coming in. Looks bleak -- like the story itself.

The worm turns! Patrick Goldstein:

Put 'The Road' back on your Oscar contender ballot

Todd McCarthy is one of my favorite critics, but he's just plain wrong -- let's say plumb crazy -- to dismiss "The Road" as a disaster. ...

Happily, the critical reception in other quarters has been much more enthusiastic, with the film getting a warm reception in both Telluride and Venice. It premieres Saturday at the Toronto International Film Festival, where I suspect it will earn more accolades. I saw the movie this week and I was amazed how well the film captures the haunting, almost biblical imagery of Cormac McCarthy's novel, offering an affecting portrait of a father and son's perilous odyssey across a bleak, post-apocalyptic America.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

Ken Morefield weighs in.

Partial disclosure: I'm one of the six people in America who did not love the Pulitzer Prize winning novel, so my concerns are not about failures in adaptation. Changes from the novel are minimal and somewhat understandable. As an adaptation, the film reminded me of the Harry Potter films or The Lord of the Rings trilogy. It is successful in repainting the surfaces of the plot, but somehow loses something of the poetry, mystery, and majesty of the source material. But I recognize that I'm in the minority in my assessment of those other two franchises, and I suspect I will be here as well.

Viggo Mortensen said in introducing the film that it was not a "heartbreaking story" but a "heart opening story." Kodi Smit-McPhee said the story was not about the end of the world but about the relationship between the father and son. Readers are free to wonder if my not having a son is part of what makes it difficult for me to connect to the story; I've wondered myself.

Ultimately, I found the film, like the book, to be too much setting and not enough purpose. The lyricism of McCarthy's prose carries us past that fact in the novel. He writes so poetically and movingly that it is easy enough to get transfixed in the beauty of his words and spend little time contemplating what the words signify or whether or not it is beautiful too.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

So, has anyone seen the five clips released from the film? If you don't want to see anything spoiler-ish, don't watch (even though they don't give much away), but it gives a good idea of what the film will look like:

http://www.filmstalker.co.uk/archives/2009...ips_online.html

The fourth one in particular caught my attention, in a "I'm terrified" sort of way.