What I'm Watching This Weekend

1,777 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Rocky Balboa

I think that's it. I'll probably watch it tonight.

Do we already have a dedicated thread for this topic?

Posted · Report post

I'm confused. Is the topic Rocky Balboa or is the topic what you're watching this weekend?

-s.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I'm confused. Is the topic Rocky Balboa or is the topic what you're watching this weekend?

-s.

Leave it me to screw up something that should've been easy.

Rocky Balboa is the answer to the question of the thread title. I was hoping others would chime in with their own weekend-viewing plans.

I remembered a long-dead thread in which critics mentioned which films they had been assigned to see in the coming week and had through we might already have a comparable thread for the idea I was getting at.

So, Stef: What's on tap for viewing in the Great Lakes state this weekend?

Edited by Christian

Posted · Report post

Do they call this place the "Great Lakes State?" Cool.

Well, I am out the door in 5 minutes to go back to Chicagoland. The church there has had a hard time finding someone to replace me, so I go back about every other weekend to help them out. (I don't have a job yet, they don't have a replacement yet, we're all friends and we like to help each other out...) Some weeks I take the wife and kids to see the Grandparents too, and this weekend is one of those.

We won't be watching any movies, unfortunately, but I hope to listen to lots of music. And I hope the kids don't whine the whole way there. We are picking up suckers. Suckers help.

-s.

Posted · Report post

I plan to watch the first two Spider-Man films, in preparation for chapter 3 next Friday night. I got advance tickets for me and a friend for $3 each because I'm a reservist at my local comic book shop. Well, actually, they're generic passes, but the comic shop has reserved a block of seats for the 7:00 PM screening next Friday.

Posted · Report post

I had heard that Rocky Balboa was pretty good, a crowd-pleasing comeback for the franchise.

I thought it was very weak. Wish I had something positive to say, but nothing comes to mind.

As for today, my plans are shot. One daughter was sick Thursday, got better yesterday, but now the other daughter is down for the count, scuttling our plans to visit the grandparents and run some errands.

There's always the lawn to mow and trim.

And Micah just woke up. Time to give him a bottle.

Posted · Report post

Saw Jindabyne yesterday. Maybe megaplex today for Fracture or Hoax. Maybe Black Book tomorrow.

I watched Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill! on TCM's underground.

Edited by J.R.

Posted · Report post

The Invisible last night (cuz I have to review it).

The usual kids' videos today, during the day, peppered with excerpts from that Sigmund Freud vs. C.S. Lewis PBS video.

Doubt I'll get to watch anything tomorrow. But I really WOULD like to re-watch the first two Spider-Man movies, in anticipation of Monday night's preview of the third film.

Darrel, I'm anxious to hear your thoughts on Jindabyne. My review's going up at CT soon.

The Taste of Tea is showing here now, but I've got an overcrowded weekend, so I doubt I'll get out to see it.

I'm also curious about Diggers.

Wait Until Dark, one of my favorite Audrey Hepburn films, is showing at midnight at the Egyptian. Tempting....

Most likely I'll skip the big screen and stay home to watch The Wind Will Carry Us, from Netflix, if I find two open hours before I go back to the office on Monday. I also checked out the original The Day the Earth Stood Still from the library, and I may watch that for the first time. It'll depend on how tired I am. I have to feel wide awake and sharp to take on Kiarostami, but I imagine the latter makes for a good late-night selection when I have little or nothing left.

Edited by Jeffrey Overstreet

Posted · Report post

Saw The Wind That Shakes the Barley last night. Going to see Fracture tonight.

Posted · Report post

Captain Blood (1935). Now them's what I calls pirates of the Caribbean. Arr--except I don't recall any of them actually saying that. One of the pirates quotes scripture at irregular intervals, having been a former Puritan minister. I discovered that this was Errol Flynn's first Hollywood starring role, and Olivia DeHavilland's. I'm not sure he was ever better than this.

Posted · Report post

BethR wrote:

: I discovered that this was Errol Flynn's first Hollywood starring role, and Olivia DeHavilland's. I'm not sure he was ever better than this.

It's been so long since I saw Captain Blood, I can't comment on Errol Flynn's performance per se, but I DO think the script serves him better in The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938), a film that has many of the same elements as Captain Blood (de Havilland, a swordfight with Basil Rathbone, etc.). Both films have scenes in which de Havilland says, "You speak treason!" If memory serves, in Captain Blood, Flynn replies, "Oh I hope I'm not obscure." But in Robin Hood, he merely says, "Fluently." Less is definitely more.

Posted · Report post

Planning to watch Adam's Apples tonight. Watched The Banquet on Friday night. This bit of awesomeness arrived recently, so I hope to be working through that for many weekends to come.

Posted · Report post

Planning to watch Adam's Apples tonight. Watched The Banquet on Friday night. This bit of awesomeness arrived recently, so I hope to be working through that for many weekends to come.

How was The Banquet? I was hoping to catch it in Toronto last year, but it played after we left.

Posted · Report post

Wallace and Gromit: A Close Shave

Classic.

Posted · Report post

How was The Banquet? I was hoping to catch it in Toronto last year, but it played after we left.

Answered here.

I've got a backlog of titles right now. The only sure bet is 28 Days Later, which I've seen before but want to watch again before the sequel screens next week. Also in the stack:

Flags of Our Fathers

Out of the Past

Anytown USA

Children of Men

3 Women

Anatomy of a Murder (watched most of this last weekend, but fell asleep; would like to rewind the tape and watch it again from the beginning)

Shaun of the Dead

COM and Flags are due back soon, so I may prioritize those. However, I've seen both before, in the theater, and so may opt for a title I've not yet seen.

Edited by Christian

Posted · Report post

If I see anything this weekend, it'll be The Host (finally) during a late, late show at the $3 theater.

Posted · Report post

I'll be watching Following Sean --

Netflix "At A Glance":

In 1969, writer-director Ralph Arlyck filmed an intimate conversation with 4-year-old Sean Farrell -- the son of free-spirited parents living in San Francisco's Haight-Ashbury district -- who talked openly about smoking marijuana and walking among speed freaks. Revisiting his subject 30 years later, Arlyck finds a much-changed man with thoughtful reflections about his childhood, his parents and the contradictions of the 1960s.

Posted · Report post

Netflix is sending us an Altman movie: Thieves Like Us. Other than that, no idea if we'll have the chance.

Posted · Report post

Most likely Spider-Man 3 and Bertolucci's Il Conformista this weekend.

Darrell: I'd love to hear your thoughts on "Thieves." I own a copy, but have watched it just once, after determining there was too much "Bonnie and Clyde," and not enough Altman in it.

That was years ago. I wish I could say I didn't know any better, but I did, even then. Still, as the years have gone by, I've been thinking that I sold that film WAY short and should watch it again soon.

OddOne: In college, I heard nothing but lavish praise for "The Conformist," but after graduating, it somehow seeped into my system that the film was a Marxist apologetic! I suppose that means ... well, next to nothing. But do let us know if it's strictly political allegory (I doubt it), or in other ways seems dated.

Husker: That film sounds very interesting. I've not heard a word about it. How was it.

Jeff: So, would a former horror-film fan who doesn't much care for horror films any longer enjoy "The Host"? Speaking of political allegories (is that the right term? hmmm...), I've read some interesting interpretations of what "The Host" is actually about, and "horror" -- in the genre sense -- doesn't figure into those readings.

Edited by Christian

Posted · Report post

Husker: That film sounds very interesting. I've not heard a word about it. How was it.

I will let ya know ... might get to it this afternoon with the chance for rainy weather, too windy to golf either way :)

Posted · Report post

Not as good as I'd thought it might be ... a little bit Stones of Summer-ish, but not as good. I may try to write more later.