Christian

What I'm Watching This Weekend

One of the most painful things about trying to meet my deadlines these past few months has been the fact that I missed the Janus series while it was here, and I'm missing a lot of great stuff here during the Seattle Film Festival too. I missed Syndromes and a Century last week, and Lake of Fire. If it's playing in my neighborhood, and playing late at night after a full day of writing, I *might* get out to catch something.

I envy you, Ron, and I look forward to your thoughts on all of those films.

DVDs I have at home: American Gun and The Secret of NIMH

We'll probably get to a multiplex summer movie, but no idea which one.

Pan's Labyrinth. Third time. Outstanding.

Happy Feet. Several laugh-out-loud lines, but by the end, way too much of a sermon.

Tonight: Either For Your Consideration, or Why We Fight.

Greg P   

The Painted Veil, Rocky Balboa and Bridge to Terabithia.

Not thrilled about the prospect of any of them, to tell the truth.

Looking at what's at the theater there are some possibilities for us to debate:

Introducing the Dwights

The Golden Door

Vitus

You Kill Me

Broken English

Not surprisingly, Sarah wasn't so high on Smokin Aces, although she liked the film's shift in the late-going toward the Ryan Reynolds character. I think the movie gets weaker in that stretch, although it is kind of nice to have the film focus on one protagonist, rather than on a multitude of characters.

I feel like a fool for saying this, but I've called this film a "guilty pleasure" elsewhere and stand by that after a second viewing. It's hard to stop watching Smokin' Aces, even if one wants to (in my experience, anyhow). I find it compulsively entertaining, without finding it at all redemptive or edifying. It has energy to burn, and plenty of cinematic flair. It's not original, but what it does, it does pretty well.

It's the kind of film I suspected would have a devoted cult following by now. That would have given me some cover, but instead, I feel like I'm the film's lone defender. So here I stand, exposed. And it ain't pretty.

Edited by Christian

UPDATE: Hey, time to stop feeling like a loner. A check of Rotten Tomatoes reveals that although Smokin Aces generates only a 26% "fresh" rating, its proponents include J. Hoberman, Stephen Hunter (how'd I forget THAT one?), and Owen Gleiberman!

I think I'll launch a separate thread on the film; I can't find one. It'll die off pretty quickly, but better to have a separate thread than to keep posting here.

Today we go see Harry Potter. Nothing on hand from Netflix. Maybe we'll fit in another this weekend. Possiblities are the same as I noted last week (except from Introducing the Dwights).

Edited by Darrel Manson

opus   

Just got a bunch of the DVDs in from YesAsia, so this weekend I'll be watching Hana (which I really enjoyed at last year's TIFF), The Banquet (which I missed at last year's TIFF), Love And Honor (the final film in Yoji Yamada's samurai trilogy), and Millennium Mambo. Whee!

My movie viewing lineup for the weekend:

Sweet Land

Paprika

Once

Sounds inspiring!

Ron Reed   
My movie viewing lineup for the weekend:

Sweet Land

Paprika

Once

Sounds inspiring!

Oooh! SWEET LAND. Where'd you get a copy? I want to see that one.

And I'm happy for you, about to see ONCE. These are folks you'll enjoy hanging out with.

I'll be watching two or three of the following;

THE DEVIL'S BACKBONE

...to get my Videomatica queue moving, and then back to the letter "B" for my book...

BABETTE'S FEAST

BOOK OF LIFE

BREAKING THE WAVES

BLACK ROBE

I intend to watch Elem Klimov's "Come and See", Fritz Lang's "Spione" and the entire first series of "Catweazle" (I'm feeling nostalgic).

I hope I do better than last weekend when I watched the tedious "Before Sunrise" (which features one of the most unlikeable couples in the history of the cinema) and "Amores Perros" (completely unwatchable, in my view - this DVD was terminated at around 70 minutes).

Ron: I don't know about Jeffrey, but I've got "Sweet Land" coming due at the local library.

Invisible Man: I hear ya on "Before Sunrise," which is well liked by others round these parts, but "Amores Perros"? That's a pretty astonishing film in many ways. I watched it earlier this year for a second time, and found it gripping all over again (maybe a notch less so than on first viewing, but still quite good).

Invisible Man: I hear ya on "Before Sunrise," which is well liked by others round these parts, but "Amores Perros"? That's a pretty astonishing film in many ways. I watched it earlier this year for a second time, and found it gripping all over again (maybe a notch less so than on first viewing, but still quite good).

I switched off "Amores Perros" because it reminded me of Quentin Tarantino, and I find Tarantino's stuff to be grotty and obvious.

I didn't realize that "Before Sunrise" was well liked here. I can't think why. I don't mind yak-heavy films but I do expect the yak to be funny, interesting or poetic. As I watched Hawke and Delpy mincing about, I kept thinking of that line from "Psycho Killer": "You're talking a lot, but you're not saying anything..." This is a one star movie if ever I saw one.

By contrast, this weekend's "Come and See" was a five star masterpiece! :)

Ron,

I rented Sweet Land from the neighborhood DVD shop. Liked it a lot. Good lord, the lead actor's looks and mannerisms are so close to Nathan Fillion's that it's distracting. Anne and I just kept shaking our heads and saying, "How can two different actors from different parts of the world be so close to identical?"

And, for the record:

Loved Paprika. I wrote about that in the Paprika thread.

Liked Once a lot, although I'm not as passionate about it as others. Very well crafted, strong personalities, stirring songs. I don't feel the need to rush out and see it again, but I'll definitely add my voice to the chorus of recommendations.

Crow   

I saw Sweet Land this past weekend as well, and thought it was very well done, a beautiful film. I didn't make the Nathan Fillon connection at the time, but I can see it now. Then again, I didn't recognize Alan Cumming either.

Then again, I didn't recognize Alan Cumming either.

:huh:

Wow. For me, Cummings is one of those actors who I'd immediately recognize even if he wore a paper bag over his head.

I really liked him in this role. Sometimes, his mannerisms are a little too extreme for me to believe in his character. There's something about him that reminds me a little of Paul Reubens. But in Sweet Land, he created a sympathetic, warm, likeable fellow.

FWIW, the thread on Sweet Land (where you can rate the film, as Alan would remind us)

Edited by Darrel Manson

Ron Reed   
...the lead actor's looks and mannerisms are so close to Nathan Fillion's that it's distracting.

Unlikely to distract me. I've never heard of the guy.

Then again, I didn't recognize Alan Cumming either.

:huh:

Wow. For me, Cummings is one of those actors who I'd immediately recognize even if he wore a paper bag over his head.

Yeah, he was memorable as the messenger in PRIDE & PREJUDICE.

But what about Kirsten Frantzich? In my opinion, they need to stop casting these over-exposed megastars in movies. Pulls me right out.

I tried to watch Stranger Than Fiction last night but fell asleep. Nothing against the movie. I got in the chair, thought, "How refreshing: For once, I'm not sleepy," then found myself in snoozeville about 15 minutes later.

Sarah seemed to like the movie.

I might try Marie Antoinette tonight, or might not.

Did Golden Door yesterday. Went through a couple we'd taped off cable last night, Ice Age2 and Mad Hot Ballroom (which we FF'd to about 30 minutes). My wife may stick Absolute Wilson (also taped off cable) in at some point this weekend (she didn't go to the screening with me); I may or may not watch it again. If we go out to see a movie, it will likely be Talk to Me.