Christian

What I'm Watching This Weekend

If I can time it right, since only 100 tickets will be available at the door, a double-bill of Mad Max and The Road Warrior.

Here is my rough draft of plans for the first few days of AFI Fest:

11/6: Field Niggas and Mountain

11/7: Nahid, El Movimento, and Hitchcock/Traffaut

11/8: Paradise, Carol, and Queen of the Desert

11/9: Mediterranea, The Lady in the Van, and H.

Then we'll see where I need to regroup.

the plan is to see Carol today (I've seen it, but my wife hasn't), the Revenant tomorrow.  We have Mad Max reboot on DVD

Evan C   

Amy, which is the last Ecumenical Jury nominee I plan to see before voting.

Either Joy or The Danish Girl.

Hopefully a second viewing of either Spotlight or Brooklyn.

And then The Hateful Eight this afternoon. Wish me luck.

Evan C   
1 hour ago, Evan C said:

And then The Hateful Eight this afternoon. Wish me luck.

It was almost sold out, so I switched to the showing of Joy ten minutes later.

We're thinking about a double feature of Boy and the World and When Marnie Was Here at the GKids program at the Fine Arts on Sunday.

I'm also trying to get my wife to The Lady in the Van and Anomalisa.

I've been missing so many things in theaters lately, but I'm going to try to catch NOTFILM, Ross Lipman's "kino-essay" about the Beckett-penned Keaton short of 1965. I hadn't heard about this odd, historic collaboration between two discrete geniuses until last week. It's delightful and humbling to know that cinema is still yielding up its treasures.

Well, I didn't make it out to see NOTFILM, doggonit. But at least this frees up some pocket money for this year's Noir City at the Egyptian! They're doing something a little different this year by opening the fest with a restoration of the rare Argentine crime film, The Bitter Stems. That should be good. It's too bad I'll be out of town for Flesh and Fantasy, which I've been aching to see again.

Dead Reckoning, Deception, and The Captive City also look enticing. 

Mike_tn   
20 hours ago, Nathaniel said:

Well, I didn't make it out to see NOTFILM, doggonit. But at least this frees up some pocket money for this year's Noir City at the Egyptian!

Your events at the Egyptian begin in two days. I'm jealous! Last night I watched the 1946 Killers, with Burt Lancaster & Ava Gardner. Tonight it will be the second feature on the disc, the 1964 version of the same Hemingway story which I'm curious to see Ronald Reagan in. That's the closest I'll get to Noir City this week.

6 hours ago, Mike_tn said:

Your events at the Egyptian begin in two days. I'm jealous! Last night I watched the 1946 Killers, with Burt Lancaster & Ava Gardner. Tonight it will be the second feature on the disc, the 1964 version of the same Hemingway story which I'm curious to see Ronald Reagan in. That's the closest I'll get to Noir City this week.

You've got some good stuff coming your way. The Siodmak version opens with one of my very favorite noir scenes, but the remake is also excellent. One of the assassins is played by Clu Gulager, a longtime character actor who is something of a fixture around here. He practically lives at the New Beverly Cinema. I had dinner with him once and he's really nice!

Edited by Nathaniel

Last weekend I got to see a release print of Friedkin's Sorcerer with a rare, 4-track mag soundtrack. The picture was a B- but the sound was incredible! The eerie score by Tangerine Dream is one for the ages. 

This weekend Rialto is releasing a new restoration of The Fallen Idol, so I'm making arrangements to see that. 

Did you see Sorcerer on Saturday?  We may have unknowingly crossed paths.  I saw it with my niece, who's studying film at LMU.  This was her first exposure to Friedkin. 

This weekend I'm finally able to take her to see Lawrence of Arabia at the Egyptian.

As I type this, it's 103 F in Whittier (rising steadily to a projected 108). To heed the excessive heat warning issued by the National Weather Service, I'm staying inside and watching one of the most intelligent British s-f films of the 1960s: The Day the Earth Caught Fire.

This weekend (tomorrow or Saturday) Edge of Tomorrow, double-billed with 1989's Robot Jox at the New Beverly Cinema.

Next weekend I'm really going to try and make it to the Egyptian to see Heaven's Gate, the director's cut. I've only seen portions of this film, but have really liked what I've watched.