What I'm Watching This Weekend

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Don't know how much I'll be wired in, so Happy Easter, everybody!

Oh, and -- How to Train Your Dragon. :scratchchin:

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

Planning to watch Claymation Jesus AKA THE MIRACLE MAKER, which I've never seen before, and revisit THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST on Easter Saturday. Might round out my Easter weekend viewing with Monty Python's LIFE OF BRIAN, which is an unorthodox Easter favourite of mine.

"A director must live with the fact that his work will be called to judgment by someone who has never seen a film of Murnau's." - François Truffaut

Twitter.
Letterboxd.

Reviews and essays at Three Brothers Film.

I'm hoping to finally get around to watching 'A Serious Man' for the third time.

Thanks to Netflix, I've got 2 Ozu films at home. I've never seen 'I Was Born, But...' and it's been a few years since I last watched 'Late Spring' but recall being very moved by it (the Noh sequence especially) - so I am psyched.

And if I'm really motivated, I may drive over to Asheville and check out either 'The Ghost Writer' or 'Crazy Heart.'

To be an artist is never to avert one's eyes.
- Akira Kurosawa

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/secularcinephile/

Planning to watch Claymation Jesus AKA THE MIRACLE MAKER, which I've never seen before, and revisit THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST on Easter Saturday. Might round out my Easter weekend viewing with Monty Python's LIFE OF BRIAN, which is an unorthodox Easter favourite of mine.

Plans all fell through, as we were busy preparing an Easter feast for 16 people here in Thailand. Did end up going to the cinema with a friend on Saturday and catching CLASH OF THE TITANS. Let's just say it hammered home the fact that our Christian "mythology" is far more interesting than anything the Greeks had. ;)

"A director must live with the fact that his work will be called to judgment by someone who has never seen a film of Murnau's." - François Truffaut

Twitter.
Letterboxd.

Reviews and essays at Three Brothers Film.

The plan is to see City Island tomorrow. God Grew Tired of Us is due to arrive from Netflix tomorrow.

The Secret of Kells was playing same place about the same time and we talked ourselves into a switch. Saw a trailer for City Island that convinced me we made the right choice.

A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

I watched Poppe's Troubled Water and posted about it in that film's dedicated thread.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

DVD weekend.

Friday: Good Hair and Das Fräulein.

Saturday: Orphan.

Sunday: Starting over on the Poppe Trilogy to write about this month. And maybe Ossos.

Edited by Persona

The Dylan documentary Don't Look Back

Olivier Assayas' Irma Vep, at last.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

Finishing up Poppe and Costa. I will be sad to see them over with.

I have a completely free weekend with no plans or obligations. I might go out, I might stay in. The mood shall dictate all.

Actually not fully finishing as Netflix is a little slow on sending Colossal Youth. I'll be posting about the other two very soon.

Pending learning the procedures for getting in with my press credential, here's my plan for this weekend at NBIFF

Friday:

a short program

Toxic Oranges - A Wall Street Fair Tail

Dark Horse

Derailed (Eric)

Eustice's Bag

5150 Elms Way

The River Why

either 140 or Burning Palms

Saturday:

Quit

Jean-Michel Basquiat: The Radiant Child

either Drones or Limbo Lounge

pick one: Wake, Multiple Sarcasm, My Girlfirend's Boyfriend,The Good Heart

Sunday:

Invisible Killer

7 Days

pick one: Bride Flight, Alamar, Weekend, Snow and Ashes (Alamar is probably my first choice at the moment Weekend is probably deep backup plan)

Maybe 4 more on Monday, then one each on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. (I have to go to Census training those days.)

Last time I spent this much time in the dark, I detached a retina not long after. I really don't think it's related though.

A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

That is awesome, Darrel. Can't wait to hear how it goes.

Hey everybody. The computer has been down again... And I'll be away again this weekend -- I don't believe any computer access over the weekend. No movies to speak of either, just thought I'd use this place for the one post this week to say, "Hi!"

Hopefully see you all again soon.

Alamar tomorrow, and probably Don't Look Back (held over from last week) Saturday.

Darren: I wish I had enjoyed Irma Vep, but it felt distant and too "inside" for me. I wasn't sure I was getting the joke, or Assayas' point. I'd love to persuaded of the film's pleasures. It's by no means an incompetent film, just one that felt aloof, or simply beyond my ability to comprehend.

I take it back about having no movies this weekend. I just bought the new iTouch -- the last time I bought an iPod was back when you very first heard the word -- and I didn't know I could put movies on it. I've got a long train ride, this could be cool. I'm going to see Collapse and Fall From Grace, some nice train ride documentaries.

Oh, the sacrifices of parenting - my youngest son has a school activity this evening at which the Chipmunk's 'Squeakuel' will be shown - I'd rather listen to Fran Drescher's voice for 90 minutes than those evil rodents...

I'm consoling myself with our plans to watch Ozu's 'Good Morning' on Saturday night.

To be an artist is never to avert one's eyes.
- Akira Kurosawa

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/secularcinephile/

Chantal Akerman films to ship soon.

Which ones? Does Netflix have D'est yet? It is well worth the trouble.

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter