Sign in to follow this  
Christian

What I'm Watching This Weekend

Shrek Forever After tomorrow. Got a couple of Netflix that I don't remember. Hoping to get a screener for Divorcing God any day now. Shrek is the only one assured to be watched.

Christian's post about "what you intend" to watch this weekend comes to mind: Half of the films I couldn't get to last weekend when responsibility crept in like a polecat in the bahamas.

All the Indiana Jones films in order. It'll be the first time I see the Crystal Skull one.

Persona wrote:

: All the Indiana Jones films in order.

In order of release, or in order of chronology?

Ooh. Hadn't considered in order of chronology. I have the first two here (Raiders and Doom), and the other two are supposed to arrive tomorrow. What would be more interesting? I don't think I can even remember the chronological order...

Persona wrote:

: I don't think I can even remember the chronological order...

Well, it depends on whether you'd want to watch Last Crusade in one sitting or in two ...

• 1912 -- Last Crusade, prologue
  • 1935 -- Temple of Doom
  • 1936 -- Raiders of the Lost Ark
  • 1938 -- Last Crusade, remainder
  • 1957 -- Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

For whatever that's worth.

Watched about 2/3rds of RIO BRAVO last night, before having to make my way home to comply with military curfews in our neck of the woods.

Might check out the documentary COLLAPSE, or any of a number of other films I've been meaning to catch up on.

Started watching Zombieland during dinner. Bad idea. Not a film to watch while eating.

30 minutes into it, I'm wondering what all the fuss was about. Shaun of the Dead wipes the floor with Zombieland. I'm quitting it for now. Maybe I'll go back to it later. The famous cameo does make me curious.

I have the new Bad Lieutenant film from the library and am waiting for what feels like the right time. So far, haven't found that right time.

Instead of watching a movie, I'd better go write that overdue Good Letters post...

I'll be watching the Dodgers and Detroit at Dodger Stadium tomorrow after church.

Screener on hand that I need to do this weekend: Perrier's Bounty

On hand from Netflix: the last disc of the last season of The Wire and The Garden

Possibilities for the theater: Iron Man 2, Exit through the Gift Shop, Please Give

Planned for theater: taking my wife and mother to see Babies

I'll be watching the Dodgers and Detroit at Dodger Stadium tomorrow after church.

Did you see the Cubbies break the Dodgers 2-1? Oh, life is good.

This weekend: Exit Through the Gift Shop (finally! set in stone.)

And a few others on the holiday: The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, Harry Brown.... and maybe, if I can squeeze it in, The Secret in Their Eyes.

Edited by Persona

My sweetie is taking a couple vacation days, so our weekend is starting tomorrow. Options we're considering: Agora, Please Give, Micmacs. We'll have Seraphine and Red Road from Netflix. Possibly a screener of Restrepo. And a trip to MOCA.

Please Give

I've been curious about this film, and the filmmaker, whose Friends With Money was the only title of hers available at the library. I just picked it up. Is it representative of her work? It's probably not the best place to start, but it's all I've got. Should I hold off until I can watch one of her other films?

Edited by Christian

Christian wrote:

: I've been curious about this film, and the filmmaker, whose Friends With Money was the only title of hers available at the library. I just picked it up. Is it representative of her work?

My vague recollection is that it shares some themes with her other films, but my perception of it is skewed mightily by the fact that Jennifer Aniston -- a Friends alumnus with a lot of money -- is in the cast, playing the one friend who DOESN'T have a lot of money.

FWIW, I like Please Give, which at times seems to have a thing or two in common with Summer Hours.

Big screen weekend plans are for October Country and The Ghost Writer. I have Ink, Silent Light and Denis's I Can't Sleep (1995) at home.

Edit: None of these theater films are working for me lately.

Edited by Persona

Christian wrote:

: I've been curious about this film, and the filmmaker, whose Friends With Money was the only title of hers available at the library. I just picked it up. Is it representative of her work?

My vague recollection is that it shares some themes with her other films, but my perception of it is skewed mightily by the fact that Jennifer Aniston -- a Friends alumnus with a lot of money -- is in the cast, playing the one friend who DOESN'T have a lot of money.

FWIW, I like Please Give, which at times seems to have a thing or two in common with Summer Hours.

I really liked Friends With Money and feel inclined to praise it probably more than it deserves. It's refreshing to see a movie with a screenplay and characters. The strength of my reaction is probably a reflection of the weakness in screenplays among most nationally released films I'm asked to see. (Oh, hey, it was pretty well reviewed.)

Also, we watched Jafar Panahi's Offside, which, my wife noted, would make a good play, taking place mainly in two of three locations. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that it was adapted from a play. It had some nice moments, but it wasn't particularly artful as a film. I feel this way sometimes when I watch films from filmmakers in closed countries. I applaud their willingness to tackle sensitive subjects, sometimes as great risk to themselves, but the final products don't exactly knock my socks off. Panahi's Crimson Gold was a film I didn't get. Maybe it's just me.

Edited by Christian

The most intriguing thing about Offside, for me, anyway, were the shots inside the coliseum taken during a very real soccer game. I wonder how dangerous that actually was for Panahi and the main actors involved. The knowledge of what is happening there adds to the tension in the scene. For me, that's the highlight of the film.

Also, what if Iran loses that game? How radically different would that film be if it ended not with the long drive through street celebrations but through a country in "mourning"? I admire Offside a great deal, but, like you Christian, I wasn't really blown away by it. It's interesting to watch it now, though, knowing that Panahi has just been sentenced to three-and-a-half years and fifty lashes.

I recently gave Scorsese's AFTER HOURS a look. Quite a fun absurdist dark comedy. It was followed by Altman's IMAGES, an unduly forgotten thriller that plays a bit like REPULSION meets DON'T LOOK NOW.

Now, as I'm sick and bed-ridden, I'm going to be giving Coppola's YOUTH WITHOUT YOUTH another viewing.

Also, what if Iran loses that game? How radically different would that film be if it ended not with the long drive through street celebrations but through a country in "mourning"? I admire Offside a great deal, but, like you Christian, I wasn't really blown away by it. It's interesting to watch it now, though, knowing that Panahi has just been sentenced to three-and-a-half years and fifty lashes.

He has? He was just released from jail last week, after his hunger strike, right? I haven't kept up with the latest developments.