What I'm Watching This Weekend

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I grabbed a few DVDs to add to a few that I'm keeping another week, and then remembered that I'll be out of town for the weekend. Might watch one tonight, though. Which should it be?

A. Thirst

B. Captain Abu Raed

C. Breaking Bad (Season 1) -- probably can't do that in one night!

D. The Princess and the Frog

E. Moon

F. The Leopard

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

I grabbed a few DVDs to add to a few that I'm keeping another week, and then remembered that I'll be out of town for the weekend. Might watch one tonight, though. Which should it be?

A. Thirst

B. Captain Abu Raed

E. Moon

F. The Leopard

THE LEOPARD, probably. I haven't seen it, but I'm quite interested in it. I'd also recommend THIRST, but it doesn't seem to be the case that many others besides myself and Matt Zoller Seitz really dug it.

Edited by Ryan H.

A. Thirst

B. Captain Abu Raed

E. Moon

F. The Leopard

THE LEOPARD, probably. I haven't seen it, but I'm quite interested in it. I'd also recommend THIRST, but it doesn't seem to be the case that many others besides myself and Matt Zoller Seitz really dug it.

I'm glad to hear you and MZS dug it. I watched about 20 minutes of it earlier in the week and was impressed, although cautious about where the religious angle might be going. I've never seen Old Boy or any of the filmmaker's other work, so this was my first dip in the pool. I liked that first stretch of the movie, FWIW.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

I'd get started on Breaking Bad. Of course the film I advocate for on this list is Captain Abu Raed.

A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

I'm glad to hear you and MZS dug it. I watched about 20 minutes of it earlier in the week and was impressed, although cautious about where the religious angle might be going. I've never seen Old Boy or any of the filmmaker's other work, so this was my first dip in the pool. I liked that first stretch of the movie, FWIW.

I greatly prefer OLDBOY, but THIRST might be my second favorite film of Park's. I encourage you to finish it, especially if you liked what you've seen so far.

Edited by Ryan H.

I didn't finish Thirst, Ryan. Sorry, but I just wasn't in the right mood. Maybe another time.

Tomorrow it's a double feature of Ramona and Beezus, followed by ... Breathless (!), restored and on the big screen at AFI Silver.

I loaded up on DVDs, mostly foreign titles, while Sarah is out of town, but I won't bother to list 'em here. I'm not sure how many I'll watch.

I think The Kids Are All Right is the top of our list. The Girl Who Played With Fire is a possibility. Maybe Inception, but we often wait a week so the crowd has thinned a bit.

Screened Peepli Live yesterday. Think I'll enjoy writing that review.

-from the film
Armin

A Prophet... finally. It was worth the wait -- if I stick around after, which I probably will, I'll also see Audiard's Read My Lips. I really like that one, and seeing it on the big screen is worth hanging around for.

Depending on how tired I am, I may try to make it to my first Audrey Hepburn film. It would be on a big screen too --Wait Until Dark. But we'll see about that.

Edited by Persona

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

The plan is to see The Girl Who Played with Fire today. Tomorrow morning: Flipped. If we can fit one in tomorrow afternoon, probably Inception. Sunday I go to hear a sermon based on Ratatouille.

Netflix on hand: Bonjour Monsieur Shlomi

-from the film
Armin

Saw Salt today.

Restrepo, I Am Love... and maybe Agora, we'll see about that.

Werckmeister Harmonies

Agora is out but if anyone here can get to I Am Love or Restrepo, do so at once. This is turning into a stellar year.

Persona wrote:

: Agora is out . . .

Just wondering, did this recently get re-issued or something? I've seen it pop up recently in the occasional Facebook or Twitter feed, but it came and left here weeks ago (and it had already opened in at least a handful of American cities before it came here).

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Agora opened in D.C. Friday. I think it's still rolling out to major markets in the U.S.

Persona wrote:

: Agora is out . . .

Just wondering, did this recently get re-issued or something? I've seen it pop up recently in the occasional Facebook or Twitter feed, but it came and left here weeks ago (and it had already opened in at least a handful of American cities before it came here).

It came out on Friday but when I said "out" I was actually referring to my schedule. Like, "I won't be able to make it to Agora, but..."

This weekend we'll be getting to Inception.

Just got screener for Jean-Michel Basquiat: The Radiant Child.

Netflix on hand: The Corporation and Bonjour Monsieur Shlomi (which we had last weekend, but the DVD was bad and we had to swap it out.)

-from the film
Armin

Best Worst Movie and something else on the big screen.

Aguirre: The Wrath of God and The Secret of the Grain at home.

Is The Secret of the Grain considered a 2010 release?