Sign in to follow this  
Christian

What I'm Watching This Weekend

Saw The Fighter[!!!] last night. The short list for consideration (hopefully will get to 2): Black Swan, Inside Job, 127 Hours, The Tourist, Dawn Treader in 2D (would be my 2nd time to see the film, my wife's first)

Saw Powell and Pressburger's A Matter of Life and Death last night - great fun, like a mid-20th Century Inception. Tonight, Exit Through the Gift Shop. Tomorrow, something new at the cineplex, still undecided.

Finishing It's a Wonderful Life tonight. Took a year or two off from that one, and revisiting it now has given me a fresh appreciation of the film's greatness.

Maybe True Grit?

True Grit, Helena From the Wedding, Amadeus, Mother and Child, Me and Orson Welles.

Started Get Low again this morning. Might watch True Grit again. Anything to wash away last night's screening of Season of the Witch.

Tonight is Dhobi Ghat screening. I'll probably watch some festival submission over the weekend. Anything else will be my wife's choice - although my preference if we go somewhere would be to see The Illusionist.

The newspaper reminds me that NFL wild-card games are on Saturday, so those may supplant any film viewing tomorrow.

I may also download a media player and start in on the Yusuf trilogy that I have on PAL DVD.

Budrus, Cat People, The Curse of the Cat People.

Saturday, a New Years tradition with a friend of mine. Movie marathon. Slated for this year: The Fighter, Black Swan, True Grit. First time we did it was January 2002: Osama, The Man Who Wasn't There, Mulholland Drive. Jan 2007: Perfume (Tykwer), Children Of Men.

Among many other films, so far this weekend I have watched a number of documentaries, three of which -- The Oath, Alamar and Last Train Home -- intriguingly depict people in the documentary acknowledging the camera and the extent to which the documentary process alters the reality being documented. You don't usually see that like this.

Ordering Chinese for dinner tonight, I mention to Suz that I'm watching a documentary on China. Sarah (16), for whom my annual top 10 list is a year-long preoccupation, asks, "How is it?" When I hesitate, she adds, "Depressing?" Well, yes, I laugh with a questioning look. "How else could a documentary on China be?" she answers. "Unless it was about Chinese history." I don't think I talked like that when I was 16.

Alamar also goes on another, shorter list of movies I've watched this weekend: With Bluebeard, that's two movies in which a father-figure type instructs a child in the Latin names of organisms (or at least one organism).

The Burmese Harp

Sweet!

Alamar a documentary? Interesting...

It is unclear to me the extent to which it is documentary and how much it may have been - shall we say - designed.

82 F outside this weekend (that's 28C for you non-Americans) and I'm going to spend it sitting in the dark watching a load of movies stating with Of Gods and Men tonight. Actually the first is a delightful animated short, Come Again in Spring that I first saw the year I went to Montreal. Sunday night will be Troubled Waters. I'm sure the rest will be nearly as good as these.

Theater: Mesrine: Killer Instinct and Mesrine: Public Enemy No. 1.

DVD: Frankenstein, maybe Bride of Frankenstein as well.

The Bears are in the playoffs this weekend. All else takes a back seat Sunday after church.

Been catching up on a lot of nominees for the Top 20 Horror list. Accidentally stumbled upon Mulholland Dr. just as it was starting on Encore last night. Even though it's my favorite Lynch film, I really wasn't going to consider giving it a high grade in the horror department. Last nights viewing changed my mind. Hadn't seen this in about 6 years, and was surprisingly creeped out.

Followed that with Antichrist... what a double feature. I was a big fan of LvT's early films (Zentropa, The Kingdom) but had become increasingly irritated with his later films. I had thought after my unpleasant reaction to Dogville (a film I walked out on), and reactions I had read in the Antichrist thread, that I wouldn't find anything here to hold my attention. I was wrong... this has shot past many of the films that I myself had nominated.

Also caught Let the Right One In (amazing!) - Thirst (which would make an interesting double bill with Antichrist) - Pulse (couldn't get into this, and turned it off after 45 minutes) - and just finished Don't Look Now (which has a good chance of finishing high up in my voting).

Tomorrow I have scheduled:

A Tale of Two Sisters

Black Sabbath

Carnival of Souls

Hour of the Wolf

and if I'm not too wiped out after those, a revisit of From Beyond.

Followed that with Antichrist... what a double feature. I was a big fan of LvT's early films (Zentropa, The Kingdom) but had become increasingly irritated with his later films. I had thought after my unpleasant reaction to Dogville (a film I walked out on), and reactions I had read in the Antichrist thread, that I wouldn't find anything here to hold my attention. I was wrong... this has shot past many of the films that I myself had nominated.

You found DOGVILLE too unpleasant to watch, but were impressed by ANTICHRIST? Interesting.

. . . just finished Don't Look Now (which has a good chance of finishing high up in my voting).

Hoorah!

You found DOGVILLE too unpleasant to watch, but were impressed by ANTICHRIST? Interesting.

. . . just finished Don't Look Now (which has a good chance of finishing high up in my voting).

Hoorah!

Yeah, I thought that would raise some eyebrows. I went back and read the Antichrist thread, and know you weren't a fan, and seemed to have a similar reaction to Antichrist as I did to Dogville.

Regarding Dogville: I have been close to several people who have been victims of rape, and I have a seriously difficult time with films that use rape as story telling device. Whether as an integral part of the story or used as metaphor, I just can't stomach it. I guess it's the along the same feelings that Gene Siskel had when children in films are victimized to gain audience sympathy (IIRC, he had serious issues with Aliens on this very subject but, on the other hand, didn't offer that same criticism to Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom).

However, although I went into Antichrist with some very serious apprehensions, I have to admit that it involved me from first frame to last. Yes, it's probably one the most disturbing films I've seen, horrible images that I will not forget, and not a film that I'm going to go around saying, "Hey you should check this out!" But it hits many of the same chords that films like The Company of Wolves, or Eraserhead, or Begotten, or Santa Sangre also struck in me - incredible sense of place - the feeling that I was witnessing someones dark dream somehow being recorded directly to celluloid - I'm still processing this film, and hopefully will have more to say on it later.

edit: I love YouTube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-e7wP1DRJjU

Also caught up with Black Sabbath, Carnival of Souls, and Hour of the Wolf today. The first two are curious little gems, but I'm not sure I'll rank them high when I take the Horror poll.

Hour of the Wolf will certainly rank high. All in all, a pretty good weekend reviewing these films - Pulse being the only one that didn't grab me in the least.

Edited by Baal_T'shuvah

A veritable smorgasbord to choose from, thanks to Netflix and my library: Murnau's Nosferatu, Caligari, Frankenstein (with and without Bride), Seven, and 49th Parallel.

Hope to finish Tsotsi, and maybe, just maybe actually make it to the theater to see "The King's Speech".