What I'm Watching This Weekend

It was "pretty last minute"! And besides, I don't have the Sundance Channel. Is that ON DEMAND? Might have that, but I wouldn't even know. How about just sending your copy on a field trip when you're done with it?

Ummmmm... you asking for my cable box? :D

If I can dig out a working VCR from the garage, and find some cassettes (which may be the harder of the two tasks), I'll try and make a copy.

edit: Or add Sundance to your cable line up for a month. The entire miniseries is airing again on Saturday Feb. 5th, beginning at 8pm. Now there's a weeks lead time for ya!

Edited by Baal_T'shuvah

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

"Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You just can't let the world judge you too much." - Maude 
Harold and Maude

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The only living VCR we have left consumes anything we put in it, including spaghetti.

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

I'm not watching ANYTHING tonight. Plan was to read my book.

But here I am, having cooked and prepped lunches and breakfasts for the week, reading stuff on the computer. And listening to Punch Drunk Critics on BlogTalkRadio.

It's just after 9 p.m. I've got about 50 minutes to do some book reading. Can. I. Do It????

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

(Ron, you're excused - Being a former theatre tech, I know the type of hours you most likely keep).

My problem is less to do with theatre hours, more to do with being a re-newbie around here, and not being oriented so well yet to what to keep an eye out for.

Still, even if I had noticed the notice, it would be no help. Being Canadian and all. No Sundance Channel. (Actually, more to the point, being a TV-phobe: maybe you can get Sundance channel here, but I wouldn't know. We have only the most basic cable possible, and I don't even know what we have. The TV room is the room where I spend the least time of any in the house, including the attic. Now if we DID have access to the Sundance Channel, that would be a strong argument for paying more attention to television. But I doubt it.

So I shall continue my lonely wait for the long Carlos.

I've posted a couple hundred of my Soul Food Movies write-ups at letterboxd

Notorious and The Earrings of Madame de...

The Earrings of Madame de...

Cool, I've yet to see an Ophuls film, but he's steadily moving up in my Netflix queue.

For me:

Winter's Bone - supoib

Quantum of Solace - ugh, wasted Mathieu Amalric, action set pieces you'd need an engineering schematic to follow, and Bond shows all the emotional range of a Derek Zoolander photo shoot

Vengeance - 45 minutes in, this is what a good action flick looks like, plus Johnny Hallyday has a face like no other

To be an artist is never to avert one's eyes.
- Akira Kurosawa

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/secularcinephile/

Cool, I've yet to see an Ophuls film, but he's steadily moving up in my Netflix queue.

And I'm still trying to figure out the difference between Marcel Ophüls (The Sorrow and the Pity) and Max Ophuls (The Earrings of Madame de...). I guess I didn't know there was more than one, and now I don't know which one I've seen referred to before, or maybe it was both, at different times.

Also cool, though, for you, is that now that I'm seeing Notorious again, perhaps I'll start the thread we talked about six or seven months ago. :)

I don't think that double-bill can be topped. By anyone. On any given weekend.

Oh, and I'm rewatching Inglourious Basterds -- watched the first hour last night and hope to finish it up tonight. My wife's reaction so far has been interesting. She worried about the violence ahead of the screening, and after the initial segment, found herself -- gasp! -- enjoying the film quite a bit. I don't know if it will hold up for her all the way through, but I found her response, while not exactly surprising, a bit unexpected in its blunt acknowledgement of the film's entertainment value.

This is only my second viewing of the film, which, as I've stated in the dedicted thread of the film, would serve to firm up my first impression of the film (very positive, much to my own surprise) or send me scurrying in the other direction, embarrassed that I ever spoke up for the film. So far, I'm feeling my appreciation for the film grow, but the second viewing is still partial at this point.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

And I'm still trying to figure out the difference between Marcel Ophüls (The Sorrow and the Pity) and Max Ophuls (The Earrings of Madame de...). I guess I didn't know there was more than one, and now I don't know which one I've seen referred to before, or maybe it was both, at different times.

Also cool, though, for you, is that now that I'm seeing Notorious again, perhaps I'll start the thread we talked about six or seven months ago. :)

Silly me, I didn't realize there's more than one Ophuls (Ophulses?). I've got a film from each in my Netflix queue.

- Akira Kurosawa

Just got back from a triple feature. True Grit for a second time - went up considerably in my estimation, especially after seeing the original on AMC last weekend.

Also saw 127 Hours - a huge improvement over Slumdog Millionaire - and one of my top 3 or 4 Danny Boyle films.

Topped it all off with The Fighter. Overall a really good day of films.

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

"Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You just can't let the world judge you too much." - Maude 
Harold and Maude

I don't think that double-bill can be topped. By anyone. On any given weekend.

If I just squeezed The Elephant Man between the two does that make me All-Time Thread Champion? B)

• 2 weeks later...

All-Time Thread Champion checks in to say:

Big screen: White Material. (Thank God this day has finally arrived.)

Small screen: Ashes and Diamonds (Wadja, '58. It's the end of a trilogy but I've been told I can see it on its own), and Jarmusch's Stranger Than Paradise, the first of the four JJ B&Ws I want to fill out the month with.

Vengeance - 45 minutes in, this is what a good action flick looks like, plus Johnny Hallyday has a face like no other

Yeah, I know! I saw this at Toronto in 2009, with Halladay and To in attendance. I love the rock star receptions genre directors and actors get at festival screenings. I thought it was a super-fun genre film, like a version of Memento that doesn't take itself so seriously.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hoping I get Despicable Me, 127 Hours, or BBC/ITV/Channel 4 reruns on the back of the seat ahead of me.

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

It's the reading week (AKA mid-term) break. During this week I hope to/need to watch: LETTER FROM AN UNKNOWN WOMAN (1948), ALPHAVILLE (1965), ORPHÉE (1949), LAST YEAR AT MARIENBAD (1961), WINTER'S BONE (2010), 127 HOURS (2010), ENCOUNTERS AT THE END OF THE WORLD (2007) (a follow-up to reading AT THE MOUNTAINS OF MADNESS), THE DEVIL'S BACKBONE (2001), and then IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE (2000) and re-watch 2046 (2005) a few times, since I'm giving a presentation on Wong Kar-wai's film in March. Looks like fun. Might catch something in theatre too, but not much that looks great right now.

"A director must live with the fact that his work will be called to judgment by someone who has never seen a film of Murnau's." - François Truffaut

Twitter.
Letterboxd.

Reviews and essays at Three Brothers Film.

It's the reading week (AKA mid-term) break. During this week I hope to/need to watch: LETTER FROM AN UNKNOWN WOMAN (1948), ALPHAVILLE (1965), ORPHÉE (1949), LAST YEAR AT MARIENBAD (1961), WINTER'S BONE (2010), 127 HOURS (2010), ENCOUNTERS AT THE END OF THE WORLD (2007) (a follow-up to reading AT THE MOUNTAINS OF MADNESS), THE DEVIL'S BACKBONE (2001), and then IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE (2000) and re-watch 2046 (2005) a few times, since I'm giving a presentation on Wong Kar-wai's film in March. Looks like fun. Might catch something in theatre too, but not much that looks great right now.

Whoa. Quite a list you've got there. Cheers for ALPHAVILLE (the first Godard film I ever saw, and one I still find quite fun), LAST YEAR AT MARIENBAD (a better-shot film you'll never see), and the IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE/2046 combo (of course I'm bigger on the latter than the former, but I love me some Wong).

Yeah, I know! I saw this at Toronto in 2009, with Halladay and To in attendance. I love the rock star receptions genre directors and actors get at festival screenings. I thought it was a super-fun genre film, like a version of Memento that doesn't take itself so seriously.

I couldn't have described it better than your last sentence here. Very enjoyable film, great to look at.

As for this weekend, I'm hoping for at least a few of the following: Paths of Glory, Backbeat, and some Truffaut (Antoine Doinel, Last Metro, and/or Mississippi Mermaid)

- Akira Kurosawa

Whoa. Quite a list you've got there. Cheers for ALPHAVILLE (the first Godard film I ever saw, and one I still find quite fun), LAST YEAR AT MARIENBAD (a better-shot film you'll never see), and the IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE/2046 combo (of course I'm bigger on the latter than the former, but I love me some Wong).

Yes, I've seen the Wong films before, but my appreciation for 2046 is growing and growing upon re-viewing.

"A director must live with the fact that his work will be called to judgment by someone who has never seen a film of Murnau's." - François Truffaut

Twitter.
Letterboxd.

Reviews and essays at Three Brothers Film.

Yes, I've seen the Wong films before, but my appreciation for 2046 is growing and growing upon re-viewing.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. Few people seem to really, really care about 2046, despite receiving mostly positive notices at the time of its theatrical release.

As for this weekend, I'm hoping for at least a few of the following: Paths of Glory, Backbeat, and some Truffaut (Antoine Doinel, Last Metro, and/or Mississippi Mermaid)

PATHS OF GLORY is aces. I own THE LAST METRO but haven't watched it yet; all I can say is that the Criterion packaging is breathtakingly lovely). Let us know what you think of it.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. Few people seem to really, really care about 2046, despite receiving mostly positive notices at the time of its theatrical release.

Might be worth linking to our dedicated 2046 thread.

Tomorrow, hopefully, Catfish.

Maybe Red Riding 1980 + 1983.

I've posted a couple hundred of my Soul Food Movies write-ups at letterboxd

Well, I spent my Friday night with a documentary entitled THE PENULTIMATE TRUTH OF PHILIP K. DICK, my Saturday with Paul Thomas Anderson's HARD EIGHT and the Coens' BIG LEBOWSKI (seriously, no matter how much I see that one, it never gets old), and will likely spend today with a viewing of THE THING. That or the restored METROPOLIS.