What I'm Watching This Weekend

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm nearing the end of Tarkovsky's oeuvre--sometime this weekend I'll be watching Nostalghia. Also might end up watching Tiny Furniture.

And some people will react to that viewing combo thusly:

::blowup::

[Not me, but some people]

BTW, I'm going to a church production tonight of You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown, then to a Bresson film, Les Anges du Péché, at that National Gallery of Art tomorrow.

Edited by Christian

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

My wife is having a curriculum planning day for homeschool and my kids are spending the weekend with my parents. I'm thinking this is prime opportunity to knock out Carlos in one sitting, which will be my first Assayas. I was hoping to see Summer Hours first, but oh well.

[...]then to a Bresson film, Les Anges du Péché, at that National Gallery of Art tomorrow.

JALOUX... :(

Edited by Pair

Κύριε Ἰησοῦ Χριστέ, Υἱὲ τοῦ Θεοῦ, ἐλέησόν με τὸν ἁμαρτωλόν.

OSS 117: Cairo, Nest of Spies and OSS 117: Lost in Rio, the Michel Hazanavicius directed spy spoofs starring Jean Dujardin.

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

"Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You just can't let the world judge you too much." - Maude 
Harold and Maude

OSS 117: Cairo, Nest of Spies and OSS 117: Lost in Rio, the Michel Hazanavicius directed spy spoofs starring Jean Dujardin.

I watched Cairo not too long before The Artist came out. At this point, I can't say which I prefer but I might lean towards Cairo as the better movie. At the least it has some very funny moments.

Terence Davies is visiting the Aero Theatre this weekend! I'll be seeing his new film, The Deep Blue Sea, and hopefully The Long Day Closes after that. Joy!

"A great film is one that to some degree frees the viewer from this passive stupor and engages him or her in a creative process of viewing. The dynamic must be two-way. The great film not only comes at the viewer, it draws the viewer toward it." -Paul Schrader

Twitter     Letterboxd

Which of these should I watch first?

I Saw The Devil

Insidious

Branded to Kill

Fitzcarraldo

The Beales of Grey Gardens

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

The Turin Horse opens tomorrow in D.C. I'll be seeing it tomorrow night.

Decisions, decisions...

Tomorrow: Anatomy of a Murder or A Clockwork Orange + Time After Time

Saturday: Anatomy of a Murder or if... + Evilenko

Sunday: Say Anything + Almost Famous or O Lucky Man!

So, James Stewart or a Malcolm McDowell double feature? Cameron Crowe double feature or a Malcolm McDowell epic? I've seen all of these with the exception of Evilenko (although I did see HBO's take on the same subject made 10 years earlier - 1994's Citizen X).

Edited by Baal_T'shuvah

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

"Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You just can't let the world judge you too much." - Maude 
Harold and Maude

O Lucky Man!

I'd put this one at the top of your to-do list. They hardly ever show it, and McDowell will be there in person!

"A great film is one that to some degree frees the viewer from this passive stupor and engages him or her in a creative process of viewing. The dynamic must be two-way. The great film not only comes at the viewer, it draws the viewer toward it." -Paul Schrader

Twitter     Letterboxd

So far, my posts in this topic have read like enticements for moving to L.A., one of the best cities for seeing movies.

However...

Tomorrow morning my wife and I are driving up the coast to San Francisco, then taking the BART to Oakland to see Napoleon at the grand old Paramount Theatre on Saturday. Trusted sources have assured me it will be a you-had-to-have-been-there kind of event. I'm just hoping the seats I chose won't induce nosebleeds. (At $40+ per ticket, it's either my nose or my wallet.)

Read about the restoration in the NYT here.

BTW, there are still seats!

Edited by Nathaniel

Twitter     Letterboxd

I was going to post something here about this coming weekends movie line up.... but Nathaniel's post trumps pretty much anything that I'll be viewing. Congrats! :)

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

Harold and Maude

Looking forward to watching Young Adult again tonight, and seeing how I interpret the ending. I'm also curious about how Sarah will react to the film.

Edited by Christian

Won't be seeing Napoleon, but I will be seeing The Hunger Games (...yeah, I realize that's probably not anything to brag about). Also, I've got Nostalgia for the Light and Mysteries of Lisbon waiting for me, though I'm not sure I'll be able to fit them both in.

Of those two, I liked Nostalgia for the Light more (I'm not big on period pieces, though Mysteries is definitely worth watching). Plus, you could watch Nostalgia three times in the time it would take to watch Mysteries of Lisbon once.

It's the side effects that save us.
--The National, "Graceless"
Twitter Blog

Think I'm going to try and catch a double feature at the Aero Theatre tomorrow of Sunset Boulevard and Mulholland Dr..

Looking ahead to next month, the Aero has an interesting match up for Easter Sunday - Harvey and Donnie Darko.

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

Harold and Maude

Looking forward to watching Young Adult again tonight, and seeing how I interpret the ending. I'm also curious about how Sarah will react to the film.

Uh, I forgot to unlock the DVD case when I checked this title out, so it'll have to wait a couple of days. Instead I watched The First Grader and The Way last night.

Need some help here. El Topo and The Holy Mountain are playing on the big screen. Both tonight. Both at 11:55pm. I've seen portions of The Holy Mountain on an old Japanese import laserdisc, but never finished it as it was severely edited due to content. Which one would you all recommend?

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

Harold and Maude