Sign in to follow this  
Christian

What I'm Watching This Weekend

Like Christian, I'll be watching the Super Bowl. Netflix on hand: To Rome with Love. Borrowed from a friend: Trouble with the Curve. If we head out: The Impossible.

A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

Warm Bodies. I'll also wade through as much of the new Netflix series, House of Cards, as I can. I'm trying to put together something on Netflix for my Dallas Observer internship. I may also try to watch Phantasmfor something else Observer-related.

GQ has a good article on Netflix right now, accessible on the website.

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

Watching the first half of the Bowl, then ditching the party to see The Lion Hunters.

"A great film is one that to some degree frees the viewer from this passive stupor and engages him or her in a creative process of viewing. The dynamic must be two-way. The great film not only comes at the viewer, it draws the viewer toward it." -Paul Schrader

Twitter     Letterboxd

Code Unknown, my first experience with Haneke.

"Anyway, in general I love tragic artists, especially classical ones."

"Even the forms for expressing truth can be multiform, and this is indeed necessary for the transmission of the Gospel in its timeless meaning."

- Pope Francis, August 2013 interview with Antonio Spadaro

Annie Hall, Seven Psychopaths, at least a couple episode of House of Cards, and some football game,

Edited by Crow

So looking forward to your response. This is pretty much one of the films that has made A&F what it is.

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

So looking forward to your response. This is pretty much one of the films that has made A&F what it is.

Posted my first impressions in Code Unknown'sthread.

"Even the forms for expressing truth can be multiform, and this is indeed necessary for the transmission of the Gospel in its timeless meaning."

Going to try to catch the Rialto release of Port of Shadows, then maybe 56 Up.

49 Up was a real spirit-lifter. I'm hoping the sequel is, too.

"A great film is one that to some degree frees the viewer from this passive stupor and engages him or her in a creative process of viewing. The dynamic must be two-way. The great film not only comes at the viewer, it draws the viewer toward it." -Paul Schrader

Twitter     Letterboxd

My glut of Japanese cinema continues. I've got a couple of Yakuza films, the highly regarded PALE FLOWER and also BATTLES WITHOUT HONOR OR HUMANITY. Also, still have TAMPOPO, and the first two discs of THE HUMAN CONDITION set from Criterion. And a couple of early Miyazaki films: CASTLE IN THE SKY and CASTLE OF CAGLIOSTRO.

Might check out AMOUR and BARBARA in the local art house theatre, as well as SIDE EFFECTS at the multiplex.

I don't think I'll be able to do it all.

"A director must live with the fact that his work will be called to judgment by someone who has never seen a film of Murnau's." - François Truffaut

Twitter.
Letterboxd.

Reviews and essays at Three Brothers Film.

Tonight: Oscar-nominated Shorts (animated)

Tomorrow: Silver Linings Playbook again, finally.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

Hopefully Side Effects, provided I don't get snowed in.

Watched BATTLE WITHOUT HONOR AND HUMANITY yesterday and I thought it was fantastic. The Japanese GODFATHER in a lot of ways.

"A director must live with the fact that his work will be called to judgment by someone who has never seen a film of Murnau's." - François Truffaut

Twitter.
Letterboxd.

Reviews and essays at Three Brothers Film.

May try to talk my wife into a trip to the west side to see The Gatekeepers.

A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

Side Effects, I hope. I've got loaners of Haneke's 71 Fragments of a Chronology of Chance and the first season of Game of Thrones, neither of which I've seen. My kids and I have just made it into the Eleventh Doctor's episodes, so I'm sure there will be some clamoring for Dalek action.

Edited by Russ

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm hoping to see Blood Brother tonight. It's the opening film for Thin Line, and this will be its Texas premier, after winning to top documentary awards at Sundance.

Thin Line! Is that your local festival, Andrew? My good friend's short doc "Set Apart," which I helped shoot, is showing there this Sunday. It's about a community of Benedictine monks up here in the Vancouver area.

Hey, that's awesome! Yeah, I'm familiar with that title (I've been doing their social media posts). I was also on the programming committee this year, but I haven't seen any of the shorts. Set Apart sounds really good.

Edited by andrew_b_welch

Hey, that's awesome! Yeah, I'm familiar with that title (I've been doing their social media posts). I was also on the programming committee this year, but I haven't seen any of the shorts. Set Apart sounds really good.

I hope you enjoy it! Everyone that worked on it was very pleased with how it turned out. Personally speaking, those three days we spent shooting at the monastery have continued to reverberate for me long past the end of the film.

YouTube is really becomng a great place for me to find films that the Seattle library system doesn't have. Someone has uploaded pretty much every Ingmar Bergan film, so I've been able to see oddities like Now About These Women and From the Life of the Marionettes. Yesterday I was able to finally find and see Bertolucci's Luna (albeit a Spanish dub with English subtitles.) But there are still plenty of DVDs for me to view - tonight I'll be watching Jean-Pierre Melville's Le Cercle rouge. Later this weekend I've got Under the Volcano and Fellini's And the Ship Sails On on tap.

Edited by Mark R.Y.