What I'm Watching This Weekend

[Reply moved to our thread on The Outsiders.]

Edited by Christian

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

BUT HERE'S THE THING THE NATS ARE IN THE PLAYOFFS PLUS MY WIFE IS HAVING A PARTY TOMORROW TO CELEBRATE THE RELEASE OF HER NEW BOOK SO I'LL PROBABLY HAVE EVEN LESS TIME THAN USUAL TO WATCH THESE.

Dodgers too, but the STUPID #@%&&@ MLB POWERS THAT BE have game 2 on MLB Network so I can't watch.

A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

In addition to The Outsiders

Old Yeller

Gravity

...the kind of film criticism we do. We are talking about life, and more than that the possibility of abundant life." -M.Leary

"Dad, how does she move in mysterious ways?"" -- Jude (my 5-year-old, after listening to Mysterious Ways)

[once upon a time known here as asher]

Definitely getting around to Ghostbusters. Probably tonight.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

'The Judge' and maybe something on Netflix or Amazon Instant that I've never bothered to watch before, such as 'Gladiator' or 'Million Dollar Baby'.

Art affirms all that is best in man—hope, faith, love, beauty, prayer…what he dreams of and what he hopes for.  What is art?  Like a declaration of love: the consciousness of our dependence on each other.  A confession.  An unconscious act that nonetheless reflects the true meaning of life—love and sacrifice.

~Andrei Tarkovsky

The new restoration of The Conformist hit town yesterday. Need I say more?

"A great film is one that to some degree frees the viewer from this passive stupor and engages him or her in a creative process of viewing. The dynamic must be two-way. The great film not only comes at the viewer, it draws the viewer toward it." -Paul Schrader

Twitter     Letterboxd

Saw God's Not Dead last night with my in-laws. Awww yeah.

Rialto restoration of Hiroshima Mon Amour, then, on Monday, two features directed (yes, directed) by George C. Scott. 

"A great film is one that to some degree frees the viewer from this passive stupor and engages him or her in a creative process of viewing. The dynamic must be two-way. The great film not only comes at the viewer, it draws the viewer toward it." -Paul Schrader

Twitter     Letterboxd

Rialto restoration of Hiroshima Mon Amour, then, on Monday, two features directed (yes, directed) by George C. Scott. 

Someone's going to the new New Beverly.  Speaking of which, I was there last night and caught Lightning Swords of Death, and Shogun Assassin

Tomorrow I hope to see Fury.

Edited by John Drew

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

"Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You just can't let the world judge you too much." - Maude 
Harold and Maude

Someone's going to the new New Beverly.

John, were you aware that the New Bev has turned into a fascist statewink.png

Edited by Nathaniel

Twitter     Letterboxd

That's sad to read.  We were never properly introduced, but Julia always took a moment to ask what I was reading (I'm always carrying a book into the place).  I wondered where she was on Friday night.  She was there the previous Friday, as was Quentin, when the Bev showed a pair of Robin Williams films.  She introduced The Best of Times.  Quentin came in during previews, sat through the film, and then introduced Moscow on the Hudson.  Perhaps there were too many changes that a long time employee just couldn't deal with (although I find it strange that they wanted her to be the face of the theatre and handle the theatre's social media, only to immediately put a moratorium on posting).  I had a similar experience with a dinner theatre where I had been the technical director and in house designer for many years.  After butting heads a few seasons with the new ownership, it was much better for me to just move on, no matter the love I had for the place.

The feel of the New Bev hasn't changed significantly.  They did a nice job of opening up the lobby space.  And adding a new layer of paint, while getting rid of layers of dirt in the theatre itself was a vast improvement.  I will say that I feel the selection of films for the first month feel a bit heavy with "man flicks".  I'm wondering what the next two months of Quentin programming will bring.

There are some bugs in the system.  I've been to 4 showings this month, and each have had projector problems of one kind or another.  Also, when I got my ticket the other night, I asked to purchase another of their discount cards.  The guy at the box office kind of had a blank look on his face, and said he didn't know if they were continuing to offer them, and if they did, he wasn't sure when they'd be available.

Edited by John Drew

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

"Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You just can't let the world judge you too much." - Maude 
Harold and Maude

Trying to decide if I'm up for a midnight showing of The Exorcist. I saw it five years ago during my freshman year of college, and at the time had no intention of ever seeing it again, but I'm somewhat curious about how different the experience will be after that span of time and with greater movie-watching experience.

In addition, it will be the theatrical cut, which in my case is actually "the version I've never seen".

Edited by Rushmore
  • 2 weeks later...
There Will Be Blood and Punch Drunk Love at LACMA's Bing Theatre, Nov 15th.  Costume designer Mark Bridges will be there for a Q&A.  Part of LACMA's Hollywood Costumes exhibit. Edited by John Drew

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

Harold and Maude

• 2 weeks later...

I've ordered Shoah. While waiting for it to arrive, I found Lanzmann's Last of the Unjust at the library. I'm not sure how much of either I'll be able to stand in one sitting, but I hope to start chipping away at one, or both.

Meanwhile, IFC/Sundance Selects just sent me a link to watch the new Dardenne brothers movie. Stoked!

Edited by Christian

Probably The Theory of Everything and maybe The Boxtrolls and/or Whiplash.

Long weekend on the way, with lots of possible viewings. Priorities include Foxcatcher, The Homesman and [gulp] Wild.

Will probably hit Whiplash some time this weekend. Not sure what else. Will be getting A Decade Under the Influence from Netflix. And I'm waiting on a couple of screeners to arrive.

Edited by Darrel Manson
A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

I'll probably check out The Theory of Everything, and probably get to my new Criterion blu-rays of Belle de Jour and Repulsion.

Edited by Evan C

"Anyway, in general I love tragic artists, especially classical ones."

"Even the forms for expressing truth can be multiform, and this is indeed necessary for the transmission of the Gospel in its timeless meaning."

- Pope Francis, August 2013 interview with Antonio Spadaro

MOCA's playing all 8 hours and five minutes of Warhol's Empire. Anyone care to test their mettle (and torture their bladder) with me? 

Twitter     Letterboxd