Sign in to follow this  
Christian

What I'm Watching This Weekend

Saturday at LACMA - Blade Runner (again), playing with Fight Club.  Part of LACMA's "Two Sides of a Costume Designer" series.

Monday - American Sniper

Birdman. And then Birdman again.

Any of the following

Stagecoach (Criterion)

A Man Escaped (Criterion)

Jodorowsky's Dune

The Congress

The Future

And, of course, the Oscars.

Edited by Christian

Netflix on hand: Dear White People

screener on hand: Walter

wife's choice (since I've seen the first three) of: Timbuktu, Dear Alice, Song of the Sea, or A Most Dangerous Year

Very tempted to see the restored Color of Pomegranates at the Cinefamily this weekend. I saw it in 35mm a few years ago, and this one's a DCP, so I may just wait for the Blu-ray.

I would love to get an opportunity to see this (and Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors) on a big screen - but preferably 35mm, of course.

Just finished the DVD of Force Majeure. Rewatched Mazursky's Moscow on the Hudson last night. Just picked up Rohmer's A Summer Tale.

Very excited that Wild Tales is coming soon to Seattle. 

Any of the following

Stagecoach (Criterion)

A Man Escaped (Criterion)

Jodorowsky's Dune

The Congress

The Future

And, of course, the Oscars.

I knocked out Jodorowdky's Dune and The Future last weekend, so I've set my sights on the other three possibilities for this weekend.

I'd like to see Maps to the Stars, which opened at two theaters locally today, but I'm not at all confident I'll find the time to do that.

Edited by Christian

White God

I look forward to your thoughts on this one, Darrel.  I have a chance to see this, but keep confusing it with Hard to be a God. I'm not sure, now, whether I've heard good things about one, the other, or both.

If I had the entire month of March off, you'd most likely find me here.  Except for two midweek double bills, this is a terrific lineup.  I'm seeing JFK tomorrow.

newbevmarch_zpsfu6dsdff.jpeg

Edited by John Drew

I would love to go to that Wong Kar-wai double bill.

Hoping to catch John Boorman's Queen & Country.  A double bill of The Matrix and Fight Club.  And round off the weekend with Magnolia.

Edited by John Drew

Today: Walter, White God, and October Gale

Sat/Sun: wife's choice.

Darrel, did you see "White God"?

I'm curious if you thought

there was any implied incest abuse between Lili and her father? Nothing appeared to be overtly stated, but the first bedtime scene was...odd...and in a later scene the camera lingers on the way her getting dressed a little too long for me to thing it was incidental.

Today: Walter, White God, and October Gale

Sat/Sun: wife's choice.

Darrel, did you see "White God"?

I'm curious if you thought

there was any implied incest abuse between Lili and her father? Nothing appeared to be overtly stated, but the first bedtime scene was...odd...and in a later scene the camera lingers on the way her getting dressed a little too long for me to thing it was incidental.

I didn't pick up anything like that.

This may only be of interest to, like, five people on the planet, but there is a four-part Gregory Markopoulos retrospective starting this Sunday, and they are showing some fabulously rare stuff. 

Markopoulos was one of Maya Deren's acolytes in the 1940s and a colleague of Kenneth Anger and Curtis Harrington (on whom I wrote my masters thesis).

Edited by Nathaniel

UCLA Festival of Preservation marches on. The weekend before last, I saw a late Pickford, an Ince short, and a recently discovered Griffith Biograph called The Son's Room (1909)

Tomorrow, I'm watching a thriller restored by the Film Noir Foundation called Woman on the Run.

As Homer Simpson once said, "I feel like a kid in some kind of a store!"

Today we plan to see Kumiko, The Treasure Hunter. I hope to get to The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby: Him this weekend. Netflix that should be in today's mail: The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness.

We've been binge watching Empire. When we finish that, we may shift to Bloodline

I am going through the Edward Burns catalog.