Sign in to follow this  
Christian

What I'm Watching This Weekend

25th Hour, as I work my way through more of Spike Lee's filmography.

"Anyway, in general I love tragic artists, especially classical ones."

"Even the forms for expressing truth can be multiform, and this is indeed necessary for the transmission of the Gospel in its timeless meaning."

- Pope Francis, August 2013 interview with Antonio Spadaro

8 hours ago, Christian said:

Yeah, I followed the link to participating theaters at the end of Alissa's review, but haven't followed through. Elsewhere I'd read that Film at Lincoln Ceter was playing it in its virtual cinema, which looks like it might be exclusive

Superb - thank you!  This would be a tough sell for my kids for Saturday night viewing, but I think I'll watch and review it next week.

To be an artist is never to avert one's eyes.
- Akira Kurosawa

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/secularcinephile/

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

Superb - thank you!  This would be a tough sell for my kids for Saturday night viewing, but I think I'll watch and review it next week.

Great! I’m hoping to watch it tonight unless Sarah has other plans.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

We watched NT at Home's free showing of the stage version of Amadeuas. It's a tad long, but amazing. Available until sometime Thursday on YouTube.

A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

15 hours ago, Darrel Manson said:

We watched NT at Home's free showing of the stage version of Amadeuas. It's a tad long, but amazing. Available until sometime Thursday on YouTube.

Here's the link: 

Now that I have a library copy of Criterion's La Notte - I considered blind-buying the Blu during the current B&N Criterion sale, but my DVD hold came through just as the sale was starting; so I bought the Antonioni Red Desert Blu instead - I plan to prioritize it. Also, I turned off Ready or Not a couple of nights ago halfway through. I then read the spoilers in Alissa Wilkinson's review and considered watching the back half, but I just don't care about anything or anyone in the movie. I wonder why some horror movies with admittedly thin premises are enjoyable, while many more seem pointless and, well, lazy (especially the screenplay(s)).

Edited by Christian

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

I'll be watching an Image Journal-sponsored screening of Boys State tonight (along with a discussion with the directors). I also have, umm, Hustlers on DVD. It's due back to the library tomorrow. I was going to watch it tonight before the Boys State screening opportunity presented itself. Probably just as well.

1 hour ago, Christian said:

I'll be watching an Image Journal-sponsored screening of Boys State tonight (along with a discussion with the directors). I also have, umm, Hustlers on DVD. It's due back to the library tomorrow. I was going to watch it tonight before the Boys State screening opportunity presented itself. Probably just as well.

They are more or less the same film.

1 hour ago, kenmorefield said:

They are more or less the same film.

:blink: Could be an interesting evening ahead.

So far:  The Fight (the ACLU doc).  We started watching She Dies Tomorrow but couldn't get into it.

Tonight: Family Romance, LLC (was delighted to discover that Herzog's latest had moved from specialized streaming services to general ones).

In between, Jessica and I will probably finish HBO's Golden State Killer docuseries, I'll Be Gone in the Dark.

To be an artist is never to avert one's eyes.
- Akira Kurosawa

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/secularcinephile/