Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SDG

favorite romantic movies / chick flicks?

58 posts in this topic

Ditto Mrmando's comments on the 1990 Cyrano, one of my all-time favorite films. (I was wondering recently if this most favored film status had something to do with the fact that my wife and I saw it thrice in the cinema shortly after our honeymoon, when a romantic film such as this would have resonated most strongly - thus I was happy to see that 'Cyrano' received a 100% from Rotten Tomatoes).

Anyway, it's got nothing offensive from a nudity, premarital sex, or language standpoint; plus the violence is handled discreetly - it has much about duty and honor within it, as a matter of fact. Gorgeously filmed, with witty subtitles by Anthony Burgess, to boot.

Oh, heck, I hit my readers over the head with foreign/subtitled stuff and silent film on a regular basis. There are only so many constraints I can work under! smile.gif

Not that I usually get very esoteric or artsy... I did do Russian Ark last week, and The Son was #2 on my Top 10 list this year.

In the past I've done I'm Going Home, Grave of the Fireflies, and Good Morning.

I will check out the 1990 Cyrano. Thanks.

I second Il Postino.

And did anyone mention As Good As It Gets?

: The phone sex scene alone would probably disqualify it.

Yeah, I thought so, but that's got to be more tolerablethan all the scenes of the naked dancer inside the sex shop in Amelie

Matt

In the Mood For Love

I'd also recommend Chunking Express for something a bit more offbeat.

Some other faves...

The Road Home

My Sassy Girl

Il Mare

Oddball love stories I enjoy:

Rushmore

Vertigo

The Princess Bride

Punch-Drunk Love

Donnie Darko - There are some elements that turn it into a romantic-esque story.

Life is Beautiful has a wonderful romantic story in the beginning.

Before Sunrise is an amazing, amazing, amazing movie.

Say Anything is probably my favorite movie of all time (for sentimental reasons - Magnolia is my all time favorite for cinematic reasons).

The Road Home, a very beautiful movie, highly recommended

It's not out on DVD but it's in theatres, how about Big Fish? That scene with the daffodils . . . oh my, I'm tearing up again . . .

One of the three intersecting story lines of Three Seasons is a very touching love story, well romantic love anyway. All three stories are about love on some level. Hard to find though.

Oh, and why not throw in Fatal Attraction as counterpoint - comic relief for us singles.

One of the three intersecting story lines of Three Seasons is a very touching love story, well romantic love anyway. All three stories are about love on some level. Hard to find though.

Ah yes... beautiful film. I'd love to see this on DVD. I've only seen it on low quality VHS, which just not do justice to the visuals.

What about They Might Be Giants (1971)? Now available on DVD.

NO sex, but romantic in every way. Fabulous performances by George C. Scott as judge who thinks he's Sherlock Holmes and by Joanne Woodward as a psychiatrist, Dr. Mildred Watson (such a coincidence!) who's called in to cure him, but finds him and his quest to unmask the evil "Moriarty" much more compelling. Filmed entirely on location in NYC, ridiculous food fight in grocery store, and catch young F. Murray Abraham in brief appearance as movie usher. Script by James Goldman, who wrote The Lion in Winter. Great score, too.

I'm gonna second the nomination for Baz's Romeo + Juliet because although it is an adolescant and immature love, it does have many fantastically romantic elements too it (and the characters don't jump in the sack until they are married by the priest either so that may help you).

Or if the Baz R+J isn't your thing, you could do the Zeffirelli film from 1968 with Olivia Hussey (if my memory serves correctly it does have some brief nudity, though it was tame enough for us to watch in my grade ten English class).

I'm kinda on a R+J kick right now cuz we're studying it in my university english class right now, and let me tell you it's an interesting contrast to Titus Andronicus which we just finished.

On the Shakespeare side, a film version of Midsummer's Night Dream or Much Ado About Nothing would probably be a good choice.

On the Shakespeare side, a film version of Midsummer's Night Dream or Much Ado About Nothing would probably be a good choice.

Highly recommend the Kenneth Branagh Much Ado. The Michael Hoffman Midsummer, not so much--David Strathairn and Sophie Marceau have some chemistry as Theseus and Hippolyta, but the young lovers have none. Calista Flockhart can't even get her lines straight; Kevin Kline and Bill Irwin are all but wasted in their comic roles. I am, however, a big sucker for the Trevor Nunn Twelfth Night.

Gorgeously filmed, with witty subtitles by Anthony Burgess, to boot.

Er, he didn't just write subtitles, he published a translation of the play.

Crossing Delancey is DEFINITELY worth a look. And let me say again that I am sorry about the list. I understand your reasons for the threshold a little better now.

I am hard pressed to come up with actual sex in the film, real or implied (ie. off screen). I can recall intent to commit, but pulling back and characters not caring about such restraint. The great thing about the the flick is the "Mensch v. Catch" theme. Just about the best example of such a theme and my list would have been softened considerably by its inclusion.

I'm gonna second the nomination for Baz's Romeo + Juliet ...(and the characters don't jump in the sack until they are married by the priest either so that may help you).

A huge fave of mine. But no way it passes muster for Sudge's project, that's my guess. This is one INTENSE movie - if the sex isn't too hot for his readers, I bet the violence will be.

...you could do the Zeffirelli film from 1968 with Olivia Hussey (if my memory serves correctly it does have some brief nudity, though it was tame enough for us to watch in my grade ten English class).

Maybe. But that love scene's pretty steamy as well - quite controversial at the time, at least partly because of the age of the participants. Curious to know what Steve The Grey thinks on this one as well.

Many, many thanks for all the suggestions!

The Road Home looks like a really good possibility for the "recent" category. Hooray! I had real worries about filling that slot!

Crossing Delancey is one I probably wouldn't have found without all-y'all. They Might be Giants looks like a hoot, which I may or may not want to consider for Valentine's Day. If Cyrano and/or Crossing Delancy everything I hope and expect it to be, I won't need another "older" pick -- actually, at the moment I've got a weath of "older" possibilities (of course romantic movies often work well for Mother's Day too smile.gif ).

I've never seen Zefferelli's Romeo & Juliet; curiously, the extremely brief U.S. bishops Office for Film & Broadcasting capsule mentions only a "brief nude scene" but then slaps it with an "A-IV - for adults, with reservations" (their writeup of the Baz version adds mention of "romanticized suicides" which would presumably apply to the Zef version as well). Neither looks extremely promising for my purposes, although someday I will have to catch the Zef at least (I wasn't encouraged by reviews of the Baz, speaking generally here and not with respect to the special issues of my column, and after my disillusionment with Moulin Rouge! I'm wondering if Baz will ever again equal the brilliance of Strictly Ballroom.)

My Fair Lady I've seen, but only once, and actually didn't really take to it. I realize this is akin to heresy, but gosh, call me a troglodyte for thinking that either Higgins needed some kind of rehabilitation, or comeuppance, or SOMEthing, or else at least the picture needed some other kind of resolution instead of just stopping. But I probably just didn't get it, and I'm definitely going to give it another chance. smile.gif

I was not a fan of Big Fish (or Punch Drunk Love for that matter).

Finally, let me say again, if you like the kind of movies that Cary Grant and Katherine Hepburn made, do yourself a favor and go catch Holiday (1938)!

"Steve the Grey." Like that! biggrin.gif

Rich, stop beatin youself up. You makin me feel bad. tongue.gif

Finally, let me say again, if you like the kind of movies that Cary Grant and Katherine Hepburn made, do yourself a favor and go catch Holiday (1938)
One of my all-time favorites and very neglected. Could almost be a "New Years Eve movie" of It's a Wonderful Life's "Christmas movie" status.

\"Steve the Grey.\" Like that! biggrin.gif

Wizard of film

Last night my wife came home from the video store exhilarated - she'd found what she described as maybe her all-time favourite movie. "The romatic comedy! With Marissa Tomei! ONLY LOVE!" I don't know if my face or hers clouded first. "Uh, wasn't that ONLY YOU" I say, as gently as possible.

Yup, she had the wrong video, and could only berate Merissa Tomei for being in two movies with almost the same title. But anyhow, there's a belated nomination for your list.

Cool thread smile.gif

Needs more Eternal Sunshine... and Corpse Bride though.

Also, I saw no mention of Ladyhawke. For shame A&F.

This thread reminds me of a good friend from college. Whenever people would be talking about favorite movies, he'd say "The Crow". Everyone would look at him weird and he'd explain, "It's just such a great love story." Then everyone would look at him a bit more weird. Which is what he was looking for anyway.

Edited by solishu

My wife, about to go on maternity leave, wants me to upgrade my netflix queue to include more watchable films, mainly chick flicks (or Bourne Identity-like movies).

Now, I've had some good influence, and most of the common chick flicks don't meet up with her standards.

For example, "When Harry Met Sally", she rates as excellent. "My Best Friends Wedding" is the stupidest movie ever. She'll still sit through and enjoy films like "Miller's Crossing" but can only take one of those a month.

Can you help us out by recommending smart films that aren't obsessed with sex (though I pointed out to her that WHMS doesn't measure up to that standard), violence, are not insulting to the audience, or over sappy.

Other chick flix she likes: The BBC Pride & Prejudice, the Pride & Prejudice, she can handle "While you were sleeping", and the Winona Ryder "Little Women".

What else would you recommend?

Her appreciation for the two P&P adaptations is a helpful clue. Follow that up with as many top-drawer Austen adaptations as you can lay your hands on (Sense and Sensibility, Emma, Mansfield Park, Persuasion). Depending on your costume quotient, these are the best "chick flicks" around.

If she's looking for something a little more challenging, why not try Portrait of a Lady, which is a flick about a chick, but somehow escapes classification. Or perhaps the surprisingly mirthless House of Mirth?

Have you raided this list?

Edited by Nathaniel

Out of Africa

Groundhog Day

The End of the Affair

Casablanca

African Queen

Life Is Beautiful

Amalie

He Loves Me . . . He Loves Me Not

A Very Long Engagement

Return to Me

The Princess and the Warrior

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Kolya

High Fidelity

Singin' in the Rain

Roman Holiday

Sabrina (1954)

Charade

Edited by Jeff Kolb

My wife, about to go on maternity leave, wants me to upgrade my netflix queue to include more watchable films, mainly chick flicks (or Bourne Identity-like movies).
:blink:

Is that an interpretive or alternative "or"? (What are "Bourne Identity-like movies"?)

Some chick-flick-compatible possibilities:

Very recent:

Once (yes I am sharing the love)

Lars and the Real Girl (not yet on DVD!)

Comparatively recent:

Monsoon Wedding

Strictly Ballroom

Life is Beautiful

Cyrano de Bergerac

Corpse Bride

Emma

Return to Me

The Dish

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

In Good Company

The Namesake

Just Like Heaven

Bride and Prejudice?

Classics:

Singin' in the Rain

Fiddler on the Roof

Shop Around the Corner

Bringing Up Baby

Holiday

The Princess Bride

It Happened one Night

Charade

Oklahoma!

Roman Holiday

Sabrina (1954!)

Monsieur Boaucaire (1946)

Silent:

City Lights

The Kid Brother

The General

Dunno about Bourne Identity-like movies, but some action-adventure movies with notable romantic themes:

Spider-Man 2

The Mark of Zorro (1940)

The Mask of Zorro

X-Men, X2

Pirates of the Caribbean

Superman Returns

Captain Horatio Hornblower

Other high-escapist-value and/or comfort movies, at least for me:

It's a Wonderful Life

Midnight Run

The Story of the Weeping Camel

Men in Black

Batman Begins

Spirited Away

The Court Jester

Jackie Chan's First Strike

Silverado

Die Hard

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Galaxy Quest

Star Trek II-IV, VI, First Contact

Frequency

Back to the Future

The Matrix

Thanks everyone--great suggestions. We're seeing a lot of stuff we haven't thought of--I knew y'all would come through.

She actually owns Amelie, so a great suggestion. We'll be adding a lot to the queue, and then ordering it so they should show up before 2010.

Keep 'em coming!

I'd add The Importance of Being Earnest and Bend it Like Beckham.