Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SDG

favorite romantic movies / chick flicks?

58 posts in this topic

Sounds like we have the same wife. Chick flicks and Bourne Identity - who would have thought?

I'll ask Carole what her favourite movies are. For starters, I know she considers AVALON one of her all-time favourites, and she re-watches the (admittedly corny) RETURN TO ME over and over. (Embrace the sentiment, love the old guys and you'll be fine.)

these two might be debatable: Love Song for Bobby Long and Being John Malcovich

(just sneak them in when the estrogen level gets too high for you.)

Edited by Darrel Manson

Sounds like we have the same wife. Chick flicks and Bourne Identity - who would have thought?

I'll ask Carole what her favourite movies are. For starters, I know she considers AVALON one of her all-time favourites, and she re-watches the (admittedly corny) RETURN TO ME over and over. (Embrace the sentiment, love the old guys and you'll be fine.)

Return to Me is great - strong, strong supporting cast. I think Romantic Comedies are all about the supporting cast. You already know what's going to happen to the leads.

It's Valentine's Day, and this thread hasn't had a post in more than six years, so I'm bumping it up.

The Shop Around the Corner (Ernst Lubitsch - 1940) - My personal favorite romantic comedy

The Lady Eve (Preston Sturges - 1941)

His Girl Friday (Howard Hawks - 1940)

Brief Encounter (David Lean - 1945)

I quickly scanned the thread and did not notice these; so I thought I would add them.

Edited by rjkolb

Return to Me is new on Blu-ray and DVD from Olive Films this week. I wrote for Crux about the film's Catholic themes:

“Return to Me” has an easygoing Catholic vibe akin, but not identical, to Golden Age Hollywood piety; in fact, the movie blends nostalgia and irreverence for the Catholic Hollywood of Bing Crosby’s era. Grace’s Irish grandfather Marty (Carroll O’Connor) recalls fondly that Crosby “made a lovely priest” (i.e., Father O’Malley in “Going My Way” in 1944, and “The Bells of St. Mary’s“), although another character counters that Crosby also “beat the hell out of his kids.”...

In the chapel, Marty and Megan light candles and pray. Marty invokes St. Michael the Archangel, admitting, “My wife never thought much of you, but you were always my favorite saint, because you’re a battler, you’re a fighter. Fight for us now, Michael. Fight for us.”

Hunt cuts back and forth between the chapel and the operating room, suggesting the power of prayer at work in the surgeons’ efforts. Then, at the scene’s climax, a closeup of a glowing votive candle fades to a heart monitor as the new heart begins beating on the soundtrack. It wouldn’t have been a heart transplant in a Crosby film, but it’s easy to imagine a similar “grace note” (so to speak) in a 1940s melodrama.

P.S. This thread was originally called "favorite romantic films?" In 2007 there was a much shorter thread called "Chick Flicks" (beginning with this post) which I have now rolled into this one.

Edited by SDG

New article: "My Top 10 Movie Romances that Don't Show Up on Romantic Movie Lists."

Basically, after reviewing a bunch of Internet lists of romantic movies and seeing the same (obvious) choices come up again and again, I decided to be intentionally obscure and pick only titles I didn't notice cropping up on other people's lists.

So no Jane Austen or Shakespeare. No Hepburn or Cary Grant, Meg Ryan or Tom Hanks. No Say Anything or Jerry Maguire, no City Lights or Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans. Nothing against any of the above, but you don't need me to tout them. Instead, here are ten films you might not find on other lists of movie romances.

B9GZelhIIAAafhx.jpg