Sign in to follow this  
Peter T Chattaway

The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor

I know how dearly we all love Stephen Sommers around here, but what can I say, The Mummy is one of my wife's favorite movies, and one of my sisters swoons at the "hotness" of the male cast members in this franchise, so, y'know, attention must be paid.

Anyway, one of the better features of the franchise-to-date -- namely Rachel Weisz -- has bowed out this time, and while I like Maria Bello (gosh, I even sat next to her at the Flicka junket!), I don't know if I can possibly imagine her as a continuation of the character that Weisz created.

I mean, when I first heard that Weisz wasn't coming back, I remember thinking, "A Mummy movie without Rachel Weisz is like a Die Hard movie without Bonnie Bedelia." The franchise was built on the male hero's relationship with the leading lady, and for the hero to lose his partner makes no sense to me. So a part of me is kind of glad to hear that the Weisz CHARACTER is at least coming back. But can it possibly work without the Weisz ACTRESS?

I am now sorely tempted to suggest that George Lucas should cast Bello as Professor Henry Jones if Sean Connery can't be bribed into reprising the role.

- - -

Bello replaces Weisz in 'Mummy'

Maria Bello will replace Rachel Weisz in the third installment of "The Mummy." She joins Brendan Fraser, Luke Ford, Jet Li and Michelle Yeoh in the Rob Cohen-directed film for Universal Pictures. Bello will play Evelyn Carnahan O'Connell, the adventuress played in the first two films by Weisz. After Weisz declined to reprise, Cohen and the studio cast a wide net for a replacement.

Variety, May 13

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

Anything more on this one? We had the trailer for it before Prince Caspian and I must admit I was impressed. The story may well be a disaster (as was the second Mummy) but the concept of the clay army of Xian come to life excites me. Jet Li, Michelle Yeoh, dragons, Great Wall, Xian army... all the ingredients are there. But something tells me the cake didn't bake...

BethR   
Anything more on this one? We had the trailer for it before Prince Caspian and I must admit I was impressed. The story may well be a disaster (as was the second Mummy) but the concept of the clay army of Xian come to life excites me. Jet Li, Michelle Yeoh, dragons, Great Wall, Xian army... all the ingredients are there. But something tells me the cake didn't bake...

It may be a disaster, but like PTC's sister, I am such a fan of Brendan Fraser, that I will certainly give it a chance, at least. And yes, the Chinese scenario looked pretty good, too.

Edited by BethR

Speaking of Mr. Fraser - I see he's in Journey to the Center of the Earth this summer too. So that makes two wild adventures for him in one season. Come to think of it, Jet Li is doubling up as well, with the already forgotten Forgotten Kingdom.

The first Mummy was a fun ride, and I return to it now and then. (I recall the extra features on the DVD were well done too - better than most). The second was a mess, I recall, and I didn't see it more than once. Some of the individual scenes were cool, but the overall story... ugh. As for the sort-of sequel, Scorpion King - didn't see it. No Brenden Fraser = not a real Mummy movie... :)

B

I still really enjoy the first Mummy, but not so much the other movies in the franchise. I haven't seen the trailer for this yet, but I'll gladly go see it in theaters. Could be a fun, well-crafted popcorn movie, one that looks great on the big screen.

opus   
The trailer's up, and yeah, it looks like some big, dumb fun. Always nice to see Michelle Yeoh in action.

China demands 'Mummy' changes

China's censors want certain changes in the cut of Universal's "The Mummy: The Tomb of the Dragon Emperor" before they give it the greelight for release in that country.

The State Administration for Radio, Film and Television told Daily Variety that the mainland release of the pic is pending. No further details were given.

The org's statements are unusual given that part of the pic was filmed in China.

Variety, July 10

- - -

Question: The "son" in this movie is something like 18 years old, now, right? And he was about 9 years old in the second movie, which came out seven years ago, right? And the parents didn't even meet each other until the first film, which came out nine years ago, right? So... does Brendan Fraser seem at least 19 years older in this movie than he seemed in the original movie?

The first movie took place in 1923, the second movie in 1933. So this movie would have to take place in 1942, right? During World War II?

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

BethR   

Question: ... So... does Brendan Fraser seem at least 19 years older in this movie than he seemed in the original movie? ...

Sneak preview for the next movie: Brendan Fraser's character is a vampire.

Or maybe Brendan Fraser is a vampire. But who cares? ;)

Edited by BethR

China unwraps 'The Mummy' ban

Kong said the changes demanded by Chinese authorities were so minor that they scarcely amounted to a cut. "Remember, China doesn't have a rating system; films have to be passed so they are suitable for children," he said.

Indeed, it was a coup that the film was approved as a Chinese co-production in the first place since themes involving ghosts are usually taboo in China. The co-prod status involved prolonged collaboration with the China Film Co-production Corp. from script stage and throughout production.

Variety, July 15

she and I both got a kick out of Stealth (director Rob Cohen's previous movie), so we're still making this our date night for the week.

I read this, rubbed my eyes, read it again, then checked IMDB to make sure this was the film I was thinking of. I saw it on a Caribbean cruise. Truly horrible. :) I didn't realize this was the guy behind The Mummy 3. I'm now officially dreading it.

Peter: Do you regret spending a date night on this movie?

Has your opinion of Rob Cohen changed?

Wow. I think Dave Poland is being pretty harsh with his "Uwe Boll of studio filmmaking" claim in regards to Cohen. He's no Kurosawa, but both The Fast and the Furious and XXX are very entertaining and well-made movies (not to say that they're great, just that when I was a 13 year old boy I considered them two of my favorite movies ::blush:: ). Haven't seen Stealth, but at best I hear it is very-dumb fun.

I think that he actually might be the right guy to take on The Mummy series, which was never great cinema anyways and (for me) fell into the same category of preposterous, goofily entertaining movies as XXX and The Fast and the Furious".

Christian wrote:

: Peter: Do you regret spending a date night on this movie?

The date night wasn't going to be tonight, but as it happens, our babysitting plans have changed, and we won't be seeing this one together tonight. We're still deciding whether I should see this on my own tonight, or see it with the wife after the film has opened. (If I skip it tonight, there is ALSO a screening of The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2 that I could catch...)

: Has your opinion of Rob Cohen changed?

Um, I don't really HAVE an opinion of Rob Cohen. Though I agree with Wilson (or his sources) that Stealth was "very-dumb fun".

Wow. I think Dave Poland is being pretty harsh with his "Uwe Boll of studio filmmaking" claim in regards to Cohen. He's no Kurosawa, but both The Fast and the Furious and XXX are very entertaining and well-made movies (not to say that they're great, just that when I was a 13 year old boy I considered them two of my favorite movies ::blush:: ). Haven't seen Stealth, but at best I hear it is very-dumb fun.

I think that he actually might be the right guy to take on The Mummy series, which was never great cinema anyways and (for me) fell into the same category of preposterous, goofily entertaining movies as XXX and The Fast and the Furious".

XXX came out in 2002. And it was one of your favorite movies when you were 13. That makes me feel old.

XXX came out in 2002. And it was one of your favorite movies when you were 13. That makes me feel old.

Yeah, same. Where's my cane?

I reviewed XXX when I was in college, for the student newspaper. The headline was: "Triple X is Triple Lame." I got a LOT of hate mail for it.

Yeah, same. Where's my cane?

I reviewed XXX when I was in college, for the student newspaper. The headline was: "Triple X is Triple Lame." I got a LOT of hate mail for it.

That is a great headline! :lol:

Do the movie's final moments make way for The Mummy Part 4!?

BTW, didn't the O'Connells' son have a British accent in the second movie? (The ACTOR was British.) Why does he have a John Wayne drawl here? (Especially given that the actor this time is AUSTRALIAN. If you're going to fake an accent ANYway...)

And speaking of fake accents, I actually got a kick out of the scene that introduces Maria Bello, and the way it winks at the fact that she has taken over for Rachel Weisz.

And why is it that, when the film cross-cuts between Jet Li and Michelle Yeoh summoning their undead troops, Jet Li is speaking in subtitled Chinese while Michelle Yeoh is speaking in accented English? Especially given that all of Yeoh's dialogue in the prologue was in subtitled Chinese, too, IIRC.

If they do make a fourth movie, will it take place in 1956 -- to keep the every-ten-years pace of the first three movies? Will Brendan Fraser look any older, yet?

And who here thinks this film just might do less business than Fraser's OTHER summer movie, Journey to the Center of the Earth?

Jeff   

SDG, what happened to your review? I must say, I'm rather surprised that you intend to review this one, and I'm curious about what you'll write...don't let it go the way of the Wicker Man! ;)

Do the movie's final moments make way for The Mummy Part 4!?

BTW, didn't the O'Connells' son have a British accent in the second movie? (The ACTOR was British.) Why does he have a John Wayne drawl here? (Especially given that the actor this time is AUSTRALIAN. If you're going to fake an accent ANYway...)

The son's accent was laughably bad. It sounded vaguely British at times, a bit John Wayne-ish at others, and sometimes I even thought he was trying to evoke an NYC mobster or something. It was terrible. I don't know much about the actor, but he made Brendan Frasier look good. :)

This movie really was rather dreadful. I know the whole series is supposed to pay tribute to Indiana Jones, but there were several scenes/plot points in this one that seemed to me to be overt, intentional rip-offs.

BethR   

Indian journalist Nita reviews Mummy 3 and suggests some Bollywood variations for #4...

But no, this movie is not as good as the first one. ...

But I wasn