Sign in to follow this  
Overstreet

Harsh Language on this website

For the sake of order:

Administrators on this board have the authority and responsibility to delete profanity when it occurs, not because harsh language is always inappropriate (sometimes, harsh language IS appropriate), but because the farther we get into the area of judgment calls, the more likely we are to offend people and cause disturbances that will take up time and energy and dilute the effectiveness and efficiency of this board's conversation.

So, be creative and precise. Harsh language, more often than not, exhibits that the speaker is being hindered by forceful emotion and rendered somewhat impotent with the English language. Take the time to make your point clearly, and you'll find your statement to be more effective and stronger without the colorful stuff.

Having said that, harsh language IN ART often reflects a character honestly and tells us something about them. (And yet, sometimes it shows that the screenwriter is indulgent, inarticulate, and lacking in creativity as well.)

Thanks.

Uh-oh. I just posted an article with the word "f***ing" in it, but it appears just as it does here in quotes. So I hope this isn't a reference to me. Although I did use the word SUCKS, in bold, yesterday (and somewhat in jest -- I was being sarcastic). That's a bit out of character for me. Sorry.

Christian wrote:

: So I hope this isn't a reference to me.

If I had to guess, I would say it was a reference to a recent post in the Se7en thread.

FWIW, four-letter words usually appear in my posts only if I'm quoting something, and since this web site seems to censor some words anyway, I generally let the web site figure out what to block and what not to block.

I'm currently working on a list of what words we can and can't say. I'll be posting that here real soon. 8O

-s.

Come to think of it, you really don't need my list. If the site blocks certain words out then it's up to you to learn what will be blocked and what won't. I suggest we create a temporary thread and practice, just to see what gets blocked. laugh.gif

-s.

Well i don't think that's working because the F-word was clearly written in the "Seven" thread today.

-s.

Hey what happened to my swear word? :wink:

You know, look'n at the brutality and crimes of Saddam Hussein and his posse, some people in this world are TOTALLY without hope.

How 'bout "screwed?" Like some people are TOTALLY screwed without hope. Is that OK? I used that before :?

Eitherway, I agree with ya there Jeffrey. Very good point.

Alan, my word did not get automatically replaced, like I had seen on these boards before so I thought, "Hey I guess it must be OK to use that word now."