Sign in to follow this  
Joel C

Speedtraps

I just found out that I live in the second most speedtrapped city in the US. This is definitely something I can see. Speed limits are consistently 10 mph lower than engineer's recommendations. Weirdly enough, I've never been issued a speeding ticket, which probably has more to do with the fact that lucky, than it does to do with law-abiding.

Where does your city stand?

#1.

Absolutely. Around here the fines pay for the municipal court system. One of the ways of getting off is to pay a steep fine for "court costs" and lower the violation to something called an "Energy Speed" violation, a holdover from the gas rationing crisises of the '70's that now acts as a legal fiction to get on to the next case. It is an under five over violation and only one point, but insurance companies are hip to it and up the coverage costs 25-40% just like any other moving violation. And it lasts three years on their records (like all violations) even thought the points drop after two in this state. Everybody gets in on the racket.

Ha! Detroit. Figures. Shoot Rich, look at the way you drive!

If you are referring to the custom bodywork on the van, every bit of that was done while parked or leaving a parkingspace.

No. I was referring to the way you drive. :D j/k