True Art or Fake?

It takes only a couple of minutes.

I scored 92%. Would've been perfect had I not blown the final question.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

But the final question is pretty tough - had I not known about his work, I would probably have answered incorrectly.

Josef Albers was huge on color theory, and made many images like this - they were in series, with changes in color and value.

But on the last one, there was a refined-ness about it that would indicate its artsy-ness. For most of the actual art pieces in this quiz, I saw a refined sense or an essence of the contempory art ethos that gave them away. I'm really not trying to be a smartypants; I'm not an art connesiour. I definitely saw recognizable style in the actual art pieces.

While it is easy to tease about the simplicity of some modern art, it is often a proccess of chasing the expression of an idea. While the technique used in modern art may not be all that different from scribbles or drippings, one can recognize which ones are art because something in the driving idea has refined them into something more....

...or something.

Re. the Pollock or birds quiz, it's (for me) easy, but then, I spent a lot of time looking at works by Pollock, Mark Tobey (and similar artists) for quite a few years, so.... I honestly don't have any idea how it plays out for other folks.

I was just laughing at the concept of comparing them.

You can definitely see form differences in the Pollock vs. bird quiz. One is obviously unconciously splattered while the other is, like I said above, pursuing an idea...another unfortunate give-away is the

photo quality. The bird poop on cement is obviously not pictured as well as the Pollock pieces.

Edit: Thanks nardis...

Edited by ruthie

I missed two. And those because I didn't trust myself.

Lots of fun! Well, maybe not _lots_ but it did break up an otherwise fairly boring afternoon for a few of minutes.

Joe

natureofthebeat.svbtle.com

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...