French music

Hugues

Hey, as a French I am curious to know which French music (with French lyrics) is appreciated out of my country. Please tell me what you do know and like. :)

And don't believe I'm an expert, I'm actually not at all. ::mf_clown::

Hey, as a French I am curious to know which French music (with French lyrics) is appreciated out of my country. Please tell me what you do know and like. :)

And don't believe I'm an expert, I'm actually not at all. ::mf_clown::

There's not much, Hugues. We Americans don't like singers who sing in furrin tongues. :( Francoise Hardy and France Gaul had some success/notoriety in the mid-'60s; Hardy primarily because of her beauty and her association with Bob Dylan. Serge Gainsbourg is probably known to some. Claudine Longet had some minor pop hits in the late '60s, but she sang in English. And Plastic Bertrand had one of the great new wave hits of the early '90s with "Ca Plan Pour Moi." But that's about it.

Oh, The Singing Nun probably had the biggest French hit in the early '60s with "Dominique," which was de rigeur listening in every Catholic home in America.

I would love to learn more about French popular music (etc.) and wonder if you can suggest any web sites?

Right away, I'm afraid not, unless I do some serious search. I wish there was some kind of French AMG. I go to AMG sometime to know more about some French artists, isn't that funny? Thom Jurek knows more than me about Brigitte Fontaine already, I'm sure.

I guess I should buy some books sometime instead of CDs...

My latest French "coup de coeur" is Daphn

Edited by Hugues

I used to be a big fan of Barbara (and still must be, deep inside me, as with any artist I ever deeply loved in my life), and was curious to see what's said about her on the US wikipedia. And wow, it's perfect. I agree with everything they say: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monique_Serf

I would warn anyone though: it's really an old French specialty, la chanson fran

Edited by Hugues

I've had several wonderful moments with Carla Bruni and her Quelqu'un M'a Dit album...for example, a rainy trainride through Oregon's Willamette valley.

I understand French in music about 65%, I'd say...enough to enjoy listening to it and get a jest, but not enough to vouch for my lyrical taste. I enjoyed her voice and the way that she was recorded which made her sound so intimate.

Edited by ruthie

There's not much, Hugues. We Americans don't like singers who sing in furrin tongues.

Except in the context of classical music or solo work like Andrea Bocelli, or Il Divo. Which is a real shame, considering the rich world of music outside the English language.

I admit, when it comes to specifically French music, I'm a bit uneducated. I suppose I like the electronica band Air, but even they sing mostly english lyrics. I am a big fan of composer Bruno Coulais, especially his work on the soundtrack for Les Choristes, but even there, I'm talking about a soundtrack, not a solo artist.

Edited by Joel C

Listen to my tunes by visiting my website, or come say hello on Facebook and Twitter