Sign in to follow this  
Peter T Chattaway

Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

My offer to bring questions to Walden's Michael Flaherty still stands. :)

"Gael"? Cute little actress, but who is her character?

Edited by BethR

Pondering this some more, I have to say it is mighty ironic that the recent CT Movies (or CT Entertainment, or whatever they're calling themselves these days) piece quotes the filmmakers to the effect that "yeah, we made mistakes with Prince Caspian, but don't you Lewis fans worry, we're going to get it RIGHT this time!", given that Douglas Gresham himself has openly questioned the changes that this film will make to the story in a way that he never questioned the changes to the earlier stories.

Even with Prince Caspian, Gresham has consistently said -- and continues to say -- that they HAD to do SOME kind of rewrite because the novel simply wasn't written in a way that lent itself to linear multiplex storytelling. But with Voyage of the Dawn Treader? He has quite openly said that the changes to the story don't seem necessary, and they might even make the story in the movie not-as-good (translation: worse) than the story in the book, but he gave in and let them make the changes because otherwise the studio wouldn't make the movie in the first place.

None of this is to suggest that the movie won't have some sermon-ready clips, just like many other movies do these days. But the conflicting signals sent out by the respective powers-that-be -- and the inclination of some target audiences to heed some signals more than others -- are certainly interesting.

My offer to bring questions to Walden's Michael Flaherty still stands. :)

"Gael"? Cute little actress, but who is her character?

Will the most overtly Christian elements of the story be tampered with or left alone? Does Eustace have to undergo a baptism-like death in order to be un-dragoned? Do we meet Aslan in the end looking like a lamb with a breakfast of roasted fish? Does he tell the children that he has another name in our world, and that they must come to know him by that name?

Will the most overtly Christian elements of the story be tampered with or left alone?

(1) Does Eustace have to undergo a baptism-like death in order to be un-dragoned?

(2) Do we meet Aslan in the end looking like a lamb with a breakfast of roasted fish?

(3) Does he tell the children that he has another name in our world, and that they must come to know him by that name?

(1) Maybe.

(2) No.

(3) No.

I'd put money on (2) and (3). They are story elements whose only meaning is religious and so are very unlikely survive in a movie made by very secular people whose imagined audience is as secular as they are. The filmmakers will see those story elements as objectionable, controversial, and divisive, and will congratulate themselves for removing them.

Dawn Treader is my favorite Narnia book, but my expectations for the movie couldn't be much lower. I'd love to be proven wrong of course, but I'm not expecting it.

Edited by bowen

Will the most overtly Christian elements of the story be tampered with or left alone?

(1) Does Eustace have to undergo a baptism-like death in order to be un-dragoned?

(2) Do we meet Aslan in the end looking like a lamb with a breakfast of roasted fish?

(3) Does he tell the children that he has another name in our world, and that they must come to know him by that name?

(1) Maybe.

(2) No.

(3) No.

I'd put money on (2) and (3). They are story elements whose only meaning is religious and so are very unlikely survive in a movie made by very secular people whose imagined audience is as secular as they are. The filmmakers will see those story elements as objectionable, controversial, and divisive, and will congratulate themselves for removing them.

Dawn Treader is my favorite Narnia book, but my expectations for the movie couldn't be much lower. I'd love to be proven wrong of course, but I'm not expecting it.

Yes, I'm confident that you're right. I ask not because I'm in suspense about the answers, but because Flaherty should face up to the questions.

(1) Maybe.

(2) No.

(3) No.

Yes, I'm confident that you're right. I ask not because I'm in suspense about the answers, but because Flaherty should face up to the questions.

Of course anything can happen between now & the movie's release, but it looks as if SDG's questions are all answered with something close to "yes" on p. 2 of the CT article linked above.

BethR wrote:

: Of course anything can happen between now & the movie's release, but it looks as if SDG's questions are all answered with something close to "yes" on p. 2 of the CT article linked above.

Let's just say the CT article doesn't address all of SDG's points, and it doesn't address some of the specific rumours I've heard. But yes, as you say, anything can happen between now and the movie's release.

“The Voyage of the Dawn Treader” to make West Coast debut at Biola Media Conference

The next film in The Chronicles of Narnia series, The Voyage Of The Dawn Treader, will make its West Coast debut when the president of Walden Media, Micheal Flaherty, unveils clips from the upcoming film at the Biola Media Conference on Saturday, May 1, 2010 at CBS Studios in Studio City, CA. The film is scheduled for release on December 10, 2010 in partnership with 20th Century Fox. . . .

Christian Entertainment Examiner, March 18

See also this item from a few days ago (and therefore NOT an April Fool's thingy), speculating whether Dawn Treader might be one of the three films that Fox plans to make in 3D next year.

It is now confirmed: Dawn Treader will be released in 3D, as will Gulliver's Travels. (What's the third film, I wonder?)

Surely the 3-D signals an enhanced commitment of fidelity to Lewis's vision.........right?

(Commitment can be digitally enhanced, right?)

::boat::

Edited by du Garbandier

One month ago, it was announced that there would be a special Vacation Bible School package with clips from this film available sometime in June. But now, the release of the VBS package has been postponed to August 16:

As you know, this product incorporates never-before-seen movie clips from the upcoming Chronicles of Narnia movie “The Voyage of the Dawn Treader”, scheduled to release in December of 2010. Since there is so much excitement about this movie, and such devoted Narnia followers, the film makers have asked us to keep our product out of circulation so the movie clips don’t end up online.

Um, I'm not following the logic here. As noted at the site linked above, most Vacation Bible Schools are finished by mid-August, so why bother releasing the package at all? And if the studio is trying to prevent these clips from ending up online... well, again, why bother releasing the package at all? After all, August 16 is still four months before the movie's release date.

Maybe they will have a trailer out by that time that will contain most, if not all, of the clips that are in the VBS package?

Phill Lytle wrote:

: Maybe they will have a trailer out by that time that will contain most, if not all, of the clips that are in the VBS package?

I wouldn't think so. This is just a guess, but if the clips in the VBS package were going to be of any use, I imagine they would have to be of entire scenes -- and trailers never show more than a few seconds from any given scene.

FWIW, I think it would be especially interesting if the VBS package turned out to include scenes that were eventually re-edited or cut from the film altogether, kind of like what happened with the video game for The Golden Compass.

Sure, I get that. Perhaps Fox doesn't want footage of the movie available to the general public before they release the trailer.

In other news, Narnia Web is passing along the report that Caspian will not have an accent in Dawn Treader. Read the story here.

Phill Lytle wrote:

: In other news, Narnia Web is passing along the report that Caspian will not have an accent in Dawn Treader. Read the story here.

Wow, between this and the new voice actor for Reepicheep, pretty much nobody is going to sound like they used to. Except for Aslan. And maybe Lucy. Hmmm, I can't remember, had Edmund hit puberty by the time Prince Caspian came out?

Edmond's voice was noticeably lower in Prince Caspian.

MattPage wrote:

: well it also shows Tumnus

Does it? The face in the poster doesn't look QUITE like my memory of James McAvoy's take on the character, and what's more, the character in the poster is wearing a shirt or jacket of some kind, whereas McAvoy's Tumnus was bare-chested. Looks to me like a whole new faun.

FWIW, the use of characters from the first two films is interesting for two reasons: One, they don't appear in the book, so if they don't appear in the movie either, then we might arguably have a bit of false advertising here. Two, and more interestingly (to me at least), the first two films were produced and distributed by Disney, whereas this new film is being produced and distributed by Fox -- so would Fox be allowed to use characters from the first two films in its advertising if those characters were not, in fact, also part of the third film?