Sign in to follow this  
Peter T Chattaway

Up

That "premake" is awesome!

Ah, this reminds me, an e-pal recently saw the film and posted some comments to a discussion list, which he said I could share here:

On the subject of Pixar films, did I mention to anyone here that I finally watched "Up?" Somehow I missed it when it came out, and I heard endless raves from friends and family -- but I was more or less underwhelmed. The flick had some terrific moments, but overall it felt disjointed to me, like two or three different films bolted on top of each other. Also, I think I've finally had enough cute, spunky kid characters for this lifetime.

It would have been unexpected and sort of thrilling to simply see an outrageous, old-fashioned adventure story with an octagenarian protagonist. (And the angle of his nemesis being a childhood hero was terrific). Lose the talking dogs, the funny bird-thing, and the tag-along kid brimming with life-lessons. Keep the bittersweet story of childhood sweethearts, the half-mad former celebrity explorer, and the surreal, inexplicable floating house. It could've really been something. As it was, it was the first Pixar film since "Cars" that made me go, "Eh."

For what that's worth.

Edited by NBooth

Mr Boria said he "somersaulted out the chair" and parachuted down to safety after the balloons took him too high… "I rose to a certain altitude and the winds got pretty intense. I was somersaulting out the chair and it felt like minus 30."

Apparently he didn't learn that you're meant to carry a knife and cut loose a few balloons if you're going too high.