My MacBook is Dead

Joel C

I am mad. No, I am very, very mad. I'm steaming hot right now, and it has to do with one of the things in life that at one point afforded me a great deal of enjoyment and satisfaction.

My computer is dead. I don't know much of what else to say. It's just...dead. The computer isn't even a YEAR OLD. It just kind of kicked up it's heels with no warning and keeled over. And do you know what's the worst thing about it? I'm leaving in 2 days for a 2 MONTH trip in England.

I used to use Windows computers, and I always disliked them; but I never had any doubts about them; they were crappy computers, and they made no qualms about it. This latest Macintosh that I've lived with these past 363 days has not only been a crappy computer; it's been very spiteful. It breaks when I need it to work. It goes slow when I need speed. It's gone through two optical drives, and still won't import almost any music onto my computer. The case of the computer is severely discolored on the face, and the top is coming off around the edges. And finally, the hard drive died this afternoon with no warning and no good reason.

I'm not sure exactly where to put this post, because beyond the basic irritation, this is a serious issue for me, as I can't be in another country without my computer for two months. I request your prayers that I figure this issue out without too much difficulty. I really didn't need this to tango with two days out from an international trip, and all the things that that entails.

Edited by Joel C

Listen to my tunes by visiting my website, or come say hello on Facebook and Twitter

Ouch, Joel. Wow. I'm sorry, and I'll certainly pray that you get this sorted out. I know how much you're looking forward to this trip and I'd hate to have anything like this complicate it.

Can't wait to see you here in Seattle again soon.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

I bought a Compaq Presario R3000. Guess what? It worked two years and died. $2000 in two years. THATS NOT a good life span. Now I have a desktop. I'm ready to either fix the laptop and put it in my son's room or get him a Dell laptop for just over $500. One of my buds at work can put a new motherboard in the Compaq. But it's taking him a long time. So I may go with the Dell. I dunno. But I hate that companies want you to spend over and above for extra warranty when you spend enough on a computer as it already is. It's getting cheaper, but still.

Man, I feel your pain.

Edited by BBBCanada

Brandon

"God is so great and merciful that he does not require that we name him precisely. God is even willing to be anonymous for a time. Remember how God led the Three Wise Men from the East to Christ? The Wise Men did not know the God of Israel or Jesus. They worshipped the stars. So God used a star to lure them."--The Twelve Steps for Christians

myspace-animation-codes121.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I hope Joel's MacBook got fixed, or replaced--it sounds like a lemon to me.

On a brighter Mac-note, our nearly three-year-old iMac seemed to be dying yesterday--would try to start up, then go black and shut down. Very disturbing. I had to wait less then 5 minutes to talk to tech support, but none of their suggestions worked, so I took the machine to the Apple Store, a 45-minute drive. Thanks to the extended warranty you're supposed not to need, the thing was fixed within a couple of hours. Could have been even less if I'd made an appointment before leaving work.

So I'm pretty happy. Now. Yesterday--not so much!

Edited by BethR

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

Isn't narrative structure enough of an ideology for art? (Greg Wright)

This is totally unrelated, but I pass this bit of advice on every chance I get. Men, don't sit your laptop on your lap. I did, sitting in my car. It hurt a part of my body that produces testosterone. I'm fine now, and hopefully I will have children some day. I learned then and there -- laptops are not for laps. Now I go around the country speaking in high school gymnasiums.

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

I hope Joel's MacBook got fixed, or replaced--it sounds like a lemon to me.

On a brighter Mac-note, our nearly three-year-old iMac seemed to be dying yesterday--would try to start up, then go black and shut down. Very disturbing. I had to wait less then 5 minutes to talk to tech support, but none of their suggestions worked, so I took the machine to the Apple Store, a 45-minute drive. Thanks to the extended warranty you're supposed not to need, the thing was fixed within a couple of hours. Could have been even less if I'd made an appointment before leaving work.

So I'm pretty happy. Now. Yesterday--not so much!

I took mine to an authorized apple reseller, not the apple store itself, which was my first mistake. My second mistake was having them install a brand-new drive from their stock, and paying over a hundred dollars for it, because they told me I'd get the warranty drive thrown in for free later. What they didn't tell me was that they wanted my old drive, with 50 gigabytes of incredibly important data, to send back to Apple, and that if I didn't, I paid an extra three hundred dollars for the warranty drive, which they had already ordered. I had told them to wait, but I guess they thought better of it, and went ahead for the scheme that pays the most. Thankfully, I was able to chew out the tech guy I was working with, and went on a bit of a rant about how an Apple drive shouldn't give out less than a year old. It worked as far as them returning the warranty HD, there by saving me $300.

They also tried to sell me a $1000 drive recovery service from a third-party, which they said wasn't connected to them business-wise at all (and yet they kept calling me throughout the week to find out if I'd "thought about the data recovery"). Any suggestions here for a cheaper data recovery? Supposedly, the problem with the drive is that the startup mechanism is ruined, so it can't even read the drive. Which makes me hopeful that the drive data itself is not excessively damaged. It seems to me that it shouldn't be as complicated as a thousand dollars. Any thoughts?

Listen to my tunes by visiting my website, or come say hello on Facebook and Twitter