Sign in to follow this  
Darrel Manson

For fans of Kavalier and Clay

In May the first issue of The Escapist will come out. It's going to have stories based on the comic book character created by K & C in the novel, written by various writers in a graphic novel form.

Guest Russell Lucas

Yeah, it was delayed from December. Can't wait.

Derrel, did you read his youth baseball book? Enjoy it?

Speaking of Kavalier and Clay - I just picked up this book. I've only read the first 20 pages or so, but I'm already engrossed by the style of Chabon's writing.

I'm reading Kavalier and Clay right now and am loving it (I'm around pg. 100). As a big comic book reader, I'll definitely be picking that up.

ooh! i adored "kavalier and clay," which i read this past winter. i have mixed feelings about an actual escapist comic, though--can it possibly live up to the one i've imagined in my mind?!

are chabon fans aware that he has a new book on the way out? here's the summary from the amazing website of kavalier & clay (which has lots of other helpful news bites, too):

THE YIDDISH POLICEMEN'S UNION

Formerly known as Hotzeplotz. ... Imagine if FDR had given the Jews Alaska rather than Israel. Laugh if you want, but it was a real plan at one point, and had the citizens of Alaska (then a territory) not rejected the idea, we might be living in an entirely different world today. In a New York Metro interview, Chabon revealed that "It's a thriller set in an alternate reality where, instead of a Hebrew-speaking Jewish state in the Middle East, there's a Yiddish-speaking Jewish state in lower Alaska." The protagonist is a Jewish detective, married to an Eskimo, who tries to solve a murder in the community.

My wife and I are reading The Yiddish Policeman's Union during our after dinner reading. We're both really enjoying it. Every so often whoever is reading will just stop to mention a sentence that we just love how well written it is, or what a great simile he's used.

Anyone read Wonder Boys? The ebook is cheap right now at Barnes & Noble and I'm thinking of adding it to my library. I've never seen the film version, for whatever that's worth.

Christian,

It's been a while since I've read it, so my memory is hazy, but Wonder Boys isn't an essential Chabon. It's fun to read as a fan of his, just to trace his beginnings as a novelist, but it's not great. It has his signature prose, interesting (if intensely unlikable) characters, but is a bit too self absorbed in constantly calling attention to its own brand of zany, serendipitous black comedy/meta commentary on writing. I certainly don't think you'd regret buying/reading it, but I don't think you'd regret not buying/reading it. If the price is great, like under $5 or so, I'd say Chabon's prose would be worth it.

FWIW, the film version isn't very comparable; much more muted and loses a lot of the book's charm (which wasn't in high supply to begin with), in exchange for more comedy and less introspection.