Sign in to follow this  
Christian

Audio for a Long Car Trip

We had an audiobook travel thread, but I think it was in Short Term Parking. So I'm starting another thread.

We're embarking for Maine later in August, but Sarah already is lining up audiobooks for the journey.

Yesterday, we decided the kids, although very young, might enjoy these "Adventures in Odyssey" Bible stories. We expect them to enjoy the regular programs down the road, but they're still a little young and have never heard the shows on the local Christian radio station. These stories, however, might be at least a little familiar to them, having read them together as a family. If not, it's an investment that'll pay off down the road.

Of course, we'll bring some "Silly Songs" (Lord, have mercy) and CDs by the kids' latest favorite: Johnny Cash (yay!). But what about audiobooks for husband and wife?

I'm thinking we might go with Ian McEwan's Atonement, which I've listened to and think Sarah will enjoy. It'll be a good primer for the film version to be released this fall.

Beyond that, I'm not sure there's much common ground between myself and Sarah. She likes mysteries, which tend to bore me. I like nonfiction that tends to bore her. So we're looking for titles we can agree on. I can think of a few others I've read previously, but any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Edited by Christian

A slightly odd suggestion, but this is a favorite of mine that will likely satisfy you and Sarah:

The Transformed Cell, by S. Rosenberg. It is the true story of a cancer researcher's career (his own), and it reads very much like a mystery. I've listened to it several times.

Oh -- and for family road trips, DO NOT MISS the Jungle Jam CDs; you will love them more than your kids do. Some great writing there, very funny. Here and here.