Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Overstreet

Sam Phillips - A Boot and a Shoe

161 posts in this topic

user posted image

Sam Phillips - A Boot and a Shoe - Due in April from Nonesuch

(That title was rumored as a title for one of her previous releases... Martinis and Bikinis, I think.)

Click here for more.

Track Listing:

How to Quit 2:27

All Night 4:05

I Dreamed I Stopped Dreaming 1:52

Open the World 2:19

Red Silk #5 2:30

Reflecting Light 3:21

Infiltration 2:16

Drawman 3:38

I Wanted to Be Alone 2:16

Love Changes Everything 3:10

If I Could Write 2:20

Hole in My Pocket 1:25

One Day Late 3:13

Woo hoo! Even if this one is just half as good as Fan Dance, it's still sure to be one of the year's best records.

Let's just hope it's not half as long as Fan Dance...

And my but those are some curious song titles...

This is an artist i've lost touch with over the years, and i'm really quite sad about it. I was a fan (yes, believe it or not) during Dancing With Danger and Black and White in a Gray World, and i still listen to the Turning from time to time. I had one of her "Sam" CDs, the one with "That's Where the Colors All Go," one of the few songs ever written that i wished was about 90 seconds longer.

I really should go to a place like ebay and look for Fan Dance and Martinis and Bikinis. I've missed Sam in my life.

-s.

Man, you got some catching up to do. You've missed out on most of her best work: Martinis and Bikinis and Fan Dance are essential.

I actually prefer Cruel Inventions to Martinis, but Fan Dance is clearly the best record she's ever made, in my opinion.

Is T-Bone still involved? (And hey, is Cold Mountain his first Oscar nomination?)

Rumor has it that, yes, T-Bone produced "A Boot and a Shoe." And I think you're right about the Oscar.

There's a nice article about T-Bone in the new Paste, by the way.

I didn't pick up a copy but T-Bone made the front cover of No Depression magazine this month. That's a great little magazine which favors "alt-country" and folk. They're big on loving 16HP-ish type bands.

-s.

Enjoyed the T Bone article in No Depression. I bought it because it had features on 2 of my favorite musicians (T Bone and Mark O'Connor). According to the article, T Bone is working on a new album called True False History. New T Bone albums have been reported many times in the past, so I'm a bit IBIWISI about that item. The ND piece on Slim Bryant was also quite informative. Finally, there was a piece on an emerging songwriter named Mindy Smith, who signed with Vanguard after rejecting several major-label deals; it reports that she had a contract with Word for a few years but they wouldn't do anything with her songs and kept asking her to rewrite them. Gee, where have I heard that before? Oh yeah, this is a Sam Phillips thread...

Was a little surprised to realize that the music in O Brother garnered no Oscar noms, but pity 'tis, 'tis true. It did get a boatload of Grammys.

Phillips is planning to take the album out for some dates summer where she will perform both Boot and Fan Dance in their entirety.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!

:zap:

Phillips is planning to take the album out for some dates summer where she will perform both Boot and Fan Dance in their entirety.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!

:zap:

Careful there :wink:

As someone who's not familiar with her work, where should I start?

Martinis and Bikinis is the best place to start.

Then Fan Dance.

Then any of her other records....

And then the crucial album, the one in which she "turned" from the limiting confines of Contemporary Christian Music and started writing from her heart... The Turning.

Martinis and Bikinis is the best place to start.

Then Fan Dance.

Then any of her other records....

And then the crucial album, the one in which she \"turned\" from the limiting confines of Contemporary Christian Music and started writing from her heart... The Turning.

No. This man deceives you; don't trust him. Fan Dance is far and away the best album Sam Phillips has ever made, and it's also the best place to start (with the possible exception of Omnipop, which I have never heard).

But he's a bigger fan than I am, so you may want to go with his opinion here...

Jeffrey Overstreet wrote:

: And then the crucial album, the one in which she "turned" from the

: limiting confines of Contemporary Christian Music and started writing

: from her heart... The Turning.

ITYM The Indescribable Wow. Turning STRAINS to be free, but it still sounds like it was made for the Christian market (can you imagine a song like 'God Is Watching You' on any of her Sam albums?). Wow is the first album where she really EXERCISES her freedom -- and it also happens to be my favorite of all her albums, for just that reason.

Besides, I personally doubt that she was somehow NOT writing from her heart on, say, Dancing with Danger. The fact that it happened to be the sort of album the CCM market wanted is interesting, but I don't think she really began to feel restricted until Black & White.

Well, we're getting closer and closer to April... does anyone know if an exact release date has been set?

That's a re-release. Zero Zero Zero is an excellent best-of that offers alternate versions of several songs fusing together into something that stands very well on its own. There are a couple of memorable exclusive songs as well. Well worth picking up.

Well, I picked up a bunch of tickets today for June 8th at the Century Ballroom, which is a fairly small venue here in Seattle. Can't wait.

And by the way, the Nonesuch Web site has updated Sam's biography and posted a blurb about the new album.

Wasn't quite sure where to post this, but I settled on this thread, since it includes the same sort of discussion of Sam's career that we had on the original Sam Phillips thread, plus it goes beyond the data that was posted to the original new-album thread.

Anyway, over the weekend I converted all my Leslie and Sam albums to mp3s (including such obscure tracks as Leslie's 'Enough for Me' from Love Songs for Christian Couples Vol. 1 and Sam's 'These Boots Are Made for Walkin'' from the soundtrack to Pret-a-Porter), and while I have not listened to the Leslie albums yet, I have made it through the first few Sam albums and am finding myself a little -- um -- how to put this -- disappointed? Don't get me wrong, some songs are VERY good, but every album has its share of filler and I find she gets downright preachy at times, especially when she throws out lines like "the arches of commerce have made the sky corrupt". (She sure does think about money and those who want it an awful lot.) The first three Sam albums all follow a similar pattern, wherein the first few tracks get me excited and then the subsequent tracks are a much more mixed bag.

The interesting thing is that I think I can REMEMBER going through this same process with each album as it first came out -- for me, each of these albums is packed with memories (living in my parents' basement and discovering Batman comics when The Indescribable Wow came out, living at the Hoy House and learning all about popular music with friends at church when Cruel Inventions came out, living in Surrey and drifting away from the 'political church' when Martinis & Bikinis came out, being a spiritually-muddled student-newspaper editor who had recently discovered e-mail when Omnipop came out...), and with every single album, I can remember thinking that I had to slog through some dull or self-important stretches to get to the good stuff. But that process seems more pronounced now, now that I am listening to her entire ouevre in more-or-less one sitting. And the impression that Sam is a little too fond of her anti-corporate agenda is enhanced by the fact that her compilation album Zero Zero Zero is missing some of her better tracks (such as, say, 'Zero Zero Zero!') even as it makes room for more mediocre tracks like 'Black Sky' and 'Fighting with Fire'.

I can't help thinking it's awfully significant that Martinis & Bikinis ends with a cover of John Lennon's 'Gimme Some Truth'. As interesting a songwriter as Lennon could be, his solo music was also quite capable of lapsing into preachy self-importance. And I wonder sometimes if his devotees, including Sam, have mistaken his weaknesses for strengths in this regard.

Anyway, I do like Sam's music, and I'm sure there's more than enough material here to make one really, really cool 80-minute CD.

Okay, I finished listening to the Sam mp3s today. Fan Dance really IS a cool album -- subtler and suppler than her earlier albums, I think, both musically and lyrically. Could be an all-time favorite. Must listen to it again. Looking forward to the new album.

Now I'm going through the Leslie mp3s. Currently listening to 'I Won't Let It Come Between Us' from Dancing with Danger. Love it love it love it. I have always thought this was a cool song, and a few iffy BGVs aside, I not only don't mind the '80s stylings, I actually DIG them. It wasn't until Black & White in a Grey World, I think, that you could really begin to hear Leslie's artistic intentions pushing one way and her producer's pushing another (cf. T-Bone's remark that he couldn't believe the producers of that album had BGV singers practically shouting the words "WALLS! OF! SILENCE!" -- the 'home demo' version on Recollection is quieter, better). But I think she and her producers were still reasonably in-sync on Dancing.

I revisited Cruel Inventions tonight and must say that I agree with Peter-- Sam really DOES get preachy and smugly self-important on some tracks; "Go Down" and the title cut immediately come to mind.

Hmmm... preachy and self-important... maybe she didn't totally abandom her CCM roots after all...

Holy bugabaloo!!!!!

I get a chance to see Sam Phillips in concert!

Glad I still peek in the music threads... Thanks for the heads up Jeff!