Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

art and faith resource compendium...

7 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

please feel free to add to this list:

Books on Art and Faith

Posted · Report post

Techne, a lot of these are already listed in the Arts & Faith /store; I'll try to add some that I've missed.

...i had no idea such a thing existed here - forgive me for being redundant (though it's always nice to have a listing of such resources for future reference and research, don'cha think?). i will see which ones aren't on my list and add them. feel free to add any others (and i'm sure there are many other relevant and helpful books)...

Posted · Report post

I've seen lists like this before, in fact printed some of them off and have them in a notebook around here somewhere. They are, however, overwhelming. Esp. to more or less non-reader types like me. I wish I could read faster, had the time to really dive into a bunch of the most important ones.

But I don't. I really want to get Christians and Kitsch, about as much as any other book right now.

How many of these have you read?

Posted · Report post

Thanks for the list!

It's pretty heavy on 20th century and after. Anyone know any more older texts? You've included John of Damascus and Basil but there must be more.

Also, it's been a while since I read Ways of Seeing but I don't remember it specifically being about faith.

Here are a few more:

Transcendence with the Body in Art: George Segal, Stephen De Staebler, Jasper Johns, and Christo by Doug Adams

-->valuable for its specificity, since most of the books on the list are very general/broad in scope.

Breath for the Bones: Art, Imagination, and Spirit by Luci Shaw

-->brand new

Art and the Beauty of God: A Christian Understanding by Richard Harries

-->don't know anything about it.

Material Religion, a fairly new scholarly journal, is not concerned exclusively with Christian faith, but it fits the bill.

Posted (edited) · Report post

It's pretty heavy on 20th century and after. Anyone know any more older texts? You've included John of Damascus and Basil but there must be more.

Also, it's been a while since I read Ways of Seeing but I don't remember it specifically being about faith.

that's part of the reason i posted this - to get more books for this list. i know there is an emphasis on the last century. perhaps it's more telling that issues of faith were simply addressed as part of the artist's work in the past (as in my lovely gigantic tome on bosch) without the necessity of addressing it directly or as a separate issue. but i would also like to see other [earlier] writings on the subject. thanks for your additions!

as for ways of seeing - i have, admittedly, included a couple of my personal faves that may not directly address the issue. simply some good additions. i probably should have edited that out.

chasab - i've read about 65%. isn't every library filled with books we'll get to "one day"? i just like lists. and i like having exhaustive lists for [future] research. the spackman book is wonderful -- lavishly illustrated, balanced and cogent - not simply a rejection of an attack on kitsch. the questions at the back are a great addition for further reflection and engagement.

Edited by techne

Posted · Report post

Here are a couple of books I would add:

The Forbidden Image: An Intellectual History of Iconoclasm By Alain Besancon-Besancon traces iconoclasm from it's roots into the 20th century evaluating the ideas of Kandinsky and Malevich as the last great outbreak of iconoclasm. Very thought provoking.

Painting and Reality" by Etienne Gilson

The Theology of the Body by Pope John Paul II- If you haven't read his section in this book about art you should.

Face to face : portraits of the divine in early Christianity by Robin Margaret Jensen.

Posted · Report post

please feel free to add to this list:

Books on Art and Faith

�Romanowski, William D. Eyes Wide Open: Looking for God in Popular Culture

Amazon just let me know that, based on previoius orders, I might be interested in Romanowski's new book, Reforming Hollywood: How American Protestants Fought for Freedom at the Movies. Description:

Hollywood and Christianity often seem to be at war. Indeed, there is a long list of movies that have attracted religious condemnation, from Gone with the Wind with its notorious "damn," to The Life of Brian and The Last Temptation of Christ. But the reality, writes William Romanowski, has been far more complicated--and remarkable.

In Reforming Hollywood, Romanowski, a leading historian of popular culture, explores the long and varied efforts of Protestants to influence the film industry. He shows how a broad spectrum of religious forces have played a role in Hollywood, from Presbyterians and Episcopalians to fundamentalists and evangelicals. Drawing on personal interviews and previously untouched sources, he describes how mainline church leaders lobbied filmmakers to promote the nation's moral health and, perhaps surprisingly, how they have by and large opposed government censorship, preferring instead self-regulation by both the industry and individual conscience. "It is this human choice," noted one Protestant leader, "that is the basis of our religion." Tensions with Catholics, too, have loomed large--many Protestant clergy feared the influence of the Legion of Decency more than Hollywood's corrupting power. Romanowski shows that the rise of the evangelical movement in the 1970s radically altered the picture, in contradictory ways. Even as born-again clergy denounced "Hollywood elites," major studios noted the emergence of a lucrative evangelical market. 20th Century-Fox formed FoxFaith to go after the "Passion dollar," and Disney took on evangelical Philip Anschutz as a partner to bring The Chronicles of Narnia to the big screen.