Sign in to follow this  
NClarke

For your inspection

I thought it might be cool to share some of the stuff I've been working on over the past several months. (You guys might not know me too well, but I do tend to check on the sight on a regular basis)

Follow the link to: http://www.urbana.org/u2003.session.info.cfm?session=1

Then click on the the video titled Changing World

For another video, go to Dec 29th PM and check out the Changing Church

Then on the 30th PM, Changing Focus

I also worked on some of the other videos for this convention, but these few were the ones I spent the most time on.

I would certainly welcome any feedback

nate

Nate,

Looked at your videos the other and was very interested since I do(or try to do) that kind of stuff at the place I work. Main questions right now are whether you use a lot of stock footage and what kind of compositing/titling software you use. Also what kind of voice talent, professional or amateur?

I really like what you did and I'd be interested in be in further touch about this stuff, right now back to work.

Are you the only person at Intervarsity doing A/V stuff or are you part of a team?

Matt

Main questions right now are whether you use a lot of stock footage

We do use a little bit of stock footage - although it's really hard to get quality stuff that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. A lot of the international footage was shot by some of our team mates. 2100 productions (InterVarsity's A/V dept.) has been around for a long time so we have a good deal of footage on beta SP and 3/4". A lot of it is dated, but treated right it can work.

We did find some cheap stock footage that I used in some of the shots (but it was lower quality and we treated it a lot)

We do some worship type videos and for that we have some time lapse stuff and nature shots that work well for that situation

On a whole, though, I would say that 90% of our footage has been shot by a 2100 member.

what kind of compositing/titling software you use

We use Avid for editting, After Effects for compositing and titling and 3d studio max for 3d stuff (like the intro to all the videos.) I work with Avid and AE, but have yet to learn 3dstudio. I have come to love After Effects - in fact the video "Changing World" was pretty much editted in After Effects (something that I don't necessarily recommend.) I would use Avid to import the footage, but it was all manipulated in AE which allowed me to give the project a layered look that was more controllable than Avid. It also allowed me to mess with some light effects which would be impossible with a NLE.

Also what kind of voice talent, professional or amateur

We essentially use people from our office (InterVarsity's headquarters). We get them into our sound studio and start trying different people with different parts. Eventually some people start to rise to the surface and we use their voices. We have a pool of about 100 people so that gives some good variety. There have been projects in the past (2-3 years ago) where we have used some professional voice talent, but the time and money involved don't make it too advantageous.

Are you the only person at Intervarsity doing A/V stuff or are you part of a team?

As you can gather from this response, I am part of a team - www.intervarsity.org/2100

There are about 15 of us at any given time (including interns.) About 10 of us do video production.

Would love to keep in touch about video things and get more ideas for how to incorporate different looks that other people have tried and perhaps had success with.

Jason,

I watched the trailer to 40 year scotch and I am waiting for taxi ride to download.

I liked the sound design - added a lot to the trailer. Your image quality is also rather nice (granted it was only through QT) but I liked what I saw. So did you do that just with the Panasonic? Did you do any color correction or image sweetening in post? Do tell. 24p or 24 advanced.

I don't have much experience shooting narrative pieces as most of the stuff we do is on the documentary side, so I am sure you have some different persepctives on how to get the best images.

From what I saw, I liked the images that had a more natural light more than the studio type shots where the individual is in disarray and p'eed off - those looked a little too staged, but perhaps that was what you were going for.

So is this whole segment done - or is the trailer just a teaser for something that doesn't exist.

(5 minute break)

OK - just watched the taxi ride - liked it a lot. your priniciple actress is great. Give some details how shots etc. You were able to get a great film look on the inside shots.

Thanks Nate. smile.gif I'll be watching your stuff tonight after rehearsal--at work now, they frown on such things.

I liked the sound design - added a lot to the trailer. Your image quality is also rather nice (granted it was only through QT) but I liked what I saw. So did you do that just with the Panasonic? Did you do any color correction or image sweetening in post? Do tell. 24p or 24 advanced.

We (my DP, Brian Hamm, and I) shot 24p as our first 'real ride out' with the Panasonic, which was indeed the only camera we used. No real color correction other than a couple of the EXT/NIGHT shots that we bumped the gamma up slightly on in FCP3--but really these were only a couple of shots during the interaction on the deck outside.

I don't have much experience shooting narrative pieces as most of the stuff we do is on the documentary side, so I am sure you have some different persepctives on how to get the best images. From what I saw, I liked the images that had a more natural light more than the studio type shots where the individual is in disarray and p'eed off - those looked a little too staged, but perhaps that was what you were going for.

Yeah, it's supposed to have a tinct of being somewhat surreal, as these portions are occuring in the individual's mind. The whole piece is kind of an homage to the Hitchcockian era of filmmaking, jumping back and forth between past, present and metaphoric circumstance.

So is this whole segment done - or is the trailer just a teaser for something that doesn't exist.

It's a complete half hour short (32 min TRT with credits), our stepping stone to find the right crew/team we'll use for the features we're gearing up to work on.

OK - just watched the taxi ride - liked it a lot. your priniciple actress is great. Give some details how shots etc. You were able to get a great film look on the inside shots.

The principle actress is the same in 40 Year as well. We're blessed to have her--she's great.

Brian, my DP, has a lot of experience as a grip as well as a photographer, so he's great with lighting. He shoots everything in zebra mode so he can intentionally blow out the areas he wants. Interior we used In Taxi Ride, we mounted two 1Ks outside the windows and hung a bunch of stingers (250, 500 and 750 watt instruments for key lighting) inside his living room, and blacked out the rest of the house, using a Tiffen enhancing filter to lend more saturation to the red spectrum.

We shot it over a 2-day period using actor friends of mine--I make a cameo as the driver. smile.gif

Hi Nate,

A couple things I was wondering.

1. For the timeline scrolling across the bottom did you have a pre-existing graphic or did you create it from scratch? How about the animated map extrusions?

2. I'm also curious about AE. We have AE 5.0 and I was wondering if you're using 6.0 (probably). If so do you have an idea how capable/less capable AE 5.0 is than 6? The reason I'm asking is because I'm debating learning 5.0 (since that's what we have) just to give myself another hammer in the toolbox.

I'm the only person at work doing what I do so the option of learning different stuff is pretty flexible (i.e. gfx, sound, mastering, etc.). The main drawback being it's very easy to become familiar with a lot of programs and not master any of them.

On a side note the place I work for is big but rather "dinosauric" (not a word really) in nature, so I'm starting an underground campaign to "re-invent our image. I'm appreciative of what Intervarsity seems to be doing. Of course your take on the whole thing might be different. With this work I'd rather be pushing the envelope. But this comes from someone who worked in Hollywood for a season. Success is dubious. I'm but a peon.

Matt

Matt,

1. For the timeline scrolling across the bottom did you have a pre-existing graphic or did you create it from scratch? How about the animated map extrusions?

The timeline consisted of a number of elements. The actual numbers that are moving were created in Corel Draw and saved then imported into AE as an EPS file. I then was able to animate them in AE. It would have been easier to do this with an Illustrator file (since there is more compatability with AE) but, I gotta work with what I have. The images of historical figures in the bottom left were done by posterizing by hand to get the exact look we wanted - a little time consuming, but a good effect in the end.

Finally, the map that shows the growth of Christianity in the bottom third AND the map that extrudes to show the percentage change in Christianity over the past 100 years were both done in 3D studio max. We probably could have done the former one in AE, but since the map info was already in 3d studio max it seemed like overkill. I don't know of any sane way that one could do the extrusions without some sort of 3d program.

If so do you have an idea how capable/less capable AE 5.0 is than 6

I learned AE with 5.0 and I now use 6.0. The biggest difference is the text tool. In 5.0 all text has to entered by applying an effect to a composition - a pain in the but. In 6.0 the text tool works like Photoshop. There are other new Photoshop type tools in AE so if you are familiar with PS, it would be easier to learn 6.0 than 5.0

There are some other subtle differences, but I think to someone just learning they wouldn't matter an awful lot.

As a sales pitch - I find AE to be the most indespensible tool in my video editting tool box. It's a lot of fun to use and the possibilities really are endless.

What type of work do you do?

nate

Nate,

Thanks for the word.

I downloaded the 30 day trial for AE 6 so I'm piddling around with that.

I work at the Baptist General Conference (of John Piper fame) doing their video stuff. Mainly missionary videos and ministry advance campaign stuff. It's not really what I'm interested in but I'm honing a fair number of skills and for a day job it's hard to beat. I've been working here since last May but since my boss hired me pretty much all the video stuff is on my shoulders. If I had my way I'd be working with a couple other people...solitary video stuff is kind of lonely. On the plus side I get left alone.

My personal goals involve the film festival circuit.

I was wondering if you knew if the market was good for stuff like Intervarsity or similar groups? Job-wise that is. I'm trying to get a whiff of the marketplace.