Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

The iPhone

70 posts in this topic

Question: When surfing Arts and Faith on the iPhone's Safari web browser, is there any way to see through

spoiler-tagged text

? I can't find any way to hilight text, so I can't figure this one out.

Question: Can I get photos from my iPhone to my computer, other than by e-mailing them?

Question: Can I make subfolders to sort mail and photos into?

Question: My iPhone won't SEND mail when I'm connected only through the EDGE network. My provider is a POP-based e-mail server. Is there a way to get it to send through the EDGE network, not just receive?

Thanks!

Question: Can I get photos from my iPhone to my computer, other than by e-mailing them?

The sync with iTunes should copy the photos down. Check your itune sync settings. Also, if you have a mac, you can setup iPhoto to automatically import them and even create default events.

Question: Can I make subfolders to sort mail and photos into?

Nope. The mail app is pretty much just useful for viewing your new mail when you are not near your primary computer. It isn't robust enough to handle any kind of mail management.

Question: My iPhone won't SEND mail when I'm connected only through the EDGE network. My provider is a POP-based e-mail server. Is there a way to get it to send through the EDGE network, not just receive?

This should work. I send through a pop account regularly. You might want to try a different port number. Include the port number after the ip address. like this: mail.server.com:25 Also check the SSL settings, you might want to try it with it on or off. The port numbers are usually different with SSL though. with SSL on try 587 or check with your ISP.

hope this helps.

regards,

-Lance

Loving, loving, loving iPhone 2.0 and the new AppStore, even on my last-gen 8GB iPhone. Whee-hee!

FWIW, a friend of mine who is a Mac enthusiast has been following some of the controversies surrounding the iPhone's recent introduction in Canada. (There's even talk of a possible "full scale iPhone revolt"!)

Earlier this week, I broke down and purchased an iTouch 3G 64 Meg. (I was running out of room on my iPod, and I was tired of the process of continually weeding and shrinking song lists). I could have played it safe and gotten the iPod classic with 90 Gig (or something like that), but instead I thought I'd try this whole App sensation.

So this is my roundabout way of asking--what are your favorite apps?

Nick

I just got a Verizon 4G IPhone a week ago. What are folks favorite apps? So far I have Foursquare, Google, Netflix, Facebook, Twitter, Overdrive, Pandora, NBA Gametime (for the husband) and a Bible app.

I alternate between the official Twitter app and Twitterific for my Twitter needs. Other apps include Reeder (a nicer alternative to Google Reader), Wikipanion (for browsing Wikipedia), the New York Times app, and NPR ListPro (for making shopping lists and whatnot), and the ESV Bible app. I've also got a few games installed, such as Fruit Ninja, NinJump, Infinity Blade, and Street Fighter IV.

I've had my iPhone since September, and love it. I've been pretty deliberate when it comes to buying/installing apps. I don't my iPhone to get bogged down with too many apps; I want to leave as much room for music, since I also use it as an iPod.

For me, I just use it to text and make call::blush:: When things seem complicated, I will leave it!

New iPhone, iWatch.

It's official: Apple has released a 5.5-inch iPhone. Officially called the iPhone 6 Plus, the device is Apple's first entry into the phone-tablet hybrid (a.k.a. "phablet") market. It also released the 4.7-inch iPhone 6 and the Apple Watch at an event in Cupertino, California that was slightly marred by problems with its livestream.

A few of the other features of the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus:

• A faster Apple A8 processor, which Apple claims is 25 percent faster than the previous processor.
  •  
A better battery life than the iPhone 5s.   "Ion-strengthened" Retina HD resolution displays.   The iPhone 6 is only 6.8 millimeters thick and the iPhone 6 Plus is 7.1 millimeters — both thinner than the 7.6-millimeter iPhone 5s.   An improved FaceTime camera capable of HDR photo and video, and burst mode for selfies.   A new NFC payment system called Apple Pay that lets people pay with their iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus.

Apparently, the Apple Watch will sync up with the new iPhone--which sounds neat, but the impression I get is that this means it'll be essentially useless without the iPhone [? Am I understanding this correctly?]--which seems to suggest a far more limited functionality than such a device would ideally have.

Edited by NBooth

These specs are unimpressive. When I go in for my phone upgrade, I'll go with the Galaxy S5.

These specs are unimpressive. When I go in for my phone upgrade, I'll go with the Galaxy S5.

I'm sure you'll enjoy the Galaxy S5, I've heard it's a great phone.

In my mind, all of these high end smart phones have such advanced "specs" that it doesn't really make that much of a difference in my day-to-day experience of the device. However, syncing and intuitive transfer of data is really important to me, and over time I've transitioned to all Apple devices (iPhone, iPad, MacBook Pro). I have yet to find anything that matches the user experience of leaving an unfinished word document on my computer and picking up work on the cloud-synced document on my iPad; or responding to an iMessage from my computer when my phone is not in reach. It's that intuitive user experience across all devices that, at least for my uses, decimates the competition. 

Edited by Joel C

You have a good point about Apple's strengths, but to get the most of that system you really have to buy in completely into the Apple infrastructure, and it's not at all easy to get out of it once you're in it (and that can be frustrating if changes are made to their system that you don't like).

As someone who greatly values his autonomy, I've used Apple products sparingly, relying on mish-mash of products and services from Apple, Google, and Amazon. I could see myself purchasing an iPhone if the specs for features I value (battery life, data storage, camera quality) were strong enough, but the iPhone 6 just doesn't quite cut it.

Joel C wrote:

: However, syncing and intuitive transfer of data is really important to me, and over time I've transitioned to all Apple devices (iPhone, iPad, MacBook Pro). I have yet to find anything that matches the user experience of leaving an unfinished word document on my computer and picking up work on the cloud-synced document on my iPad; or responding to an iMessage from my computer when my phone is not in reach. It's that intuitive user experience across all devices that, at least for my uses, decimates the competition.

Huh. I find the syncing works very well between my app and laptop versions of Gmail, between my app and laptop versions of Facebook Messenger, between my app and laptop versions of Dropbox (including some basic word-processing, though I don't do anything all that fancy on my phone's touchscreen), etc. It never would have occurred to me that I should put all those eggs in a single basket.

The one thing that does irritate me is that I own a couple albums and a couple movies on iTunes, and I can't access them from my S4. (I've never actually *bought* a movie on iTunes, but I've used iTunes to access the "digital copies" that came with a couple of my Blu-Rays.) But I can still access them on my laptop, so it's no big deal.

Sorry, I'm a few days late on this!

Maybe this will help answer what I was getting at. 

The one thing that does irritate me is that I own a couple albums and a couple movies on iTunes, and I can't access them from my S4. (I've never actually *bought* a movie on iTunes, but I've used iTunes to access the "digital copies" that came with a couple of my Blu-Rays.) But I can still access them on my laptop, so it's no big deal.

I use iTunes Match, a subscription-based service Apple offers, which uploads, syncs, or matches my entire library to my iCloud account, so that when I look at my iOS device (iPad or iPhone), my entire library of music, movies, TV shows, etc., is available for download at any given time. Much easier for me than trying to sync my phone with my computer. 

Joel C wrote:
: I use iTunes Match, a subscription-based service Apple offers, which uploads, syncs, or matches my entire library to my iCloud account, so that when I look at my iOS device (iPad or iPhone), my entire library of music, movies, TV shows, etc., is available for download at any given time. Much easier for me than trying to sync my phone with my computer.

I don't get the distinction.

Google (including my searches, my e-mail, my maps, my calendar, etc.) is a cloud-based service; I simply access it on my phone or I access it on my laptop. Similarly, if I "own" any movies via Google Play (usually because I opted to get "digital copies" of my Blu-Rays that way), I can download them to my phone or stream them to my laptop. (I only opt for iTunes "digital copies" when there is no Google option, or when the iTunes option comes with bonus features that I can't get anywhere else.)

Similarly, I have a Dropbox account, which is also cloud-based. Any edits I make via my phone or my laptop are automatically synced on the other device.

I don't see any advantage to the Apple cloud except that it puts all the eggs in one basket -- and then, as someone noted earlier in this thread, it becomes difficult for the user to disentangle himself from Apple's infrastructure.

Might be a music thing, though. I keep my music on a microSD card in my phone; I see no reason to use up my bandwidth streaming everything. (And iPhones don't even *have* the option of microSD cards, do they?)

Joel C wrote:

: I use iTunes Match, a subscription-based service Apple offers, which uploads, syncs, or matches my entire library to my iCloud account, so that when I look at my iOS device (iPad or iPhone), my entire library of music, movies, TV shows, etc., is available for download at any given time. Much easier for me than trying to sync my phone with my computer.

I don't get the distinction.

I have thousands of songs from a variety of sources—CDs that I have ripped to my computer, my own recordings from Logic and GarageBand, mp3s I've purchased from Amazon, e-music, or any other retailer—and iTunes. Instead of having to plug my phone into my computer to sync that digital content, iTunes Match uploads all of those files to iCloud, regardless of whether they came from an iTunes purchase or from a CD, so that I can access them on any device at any time.

Peter T Chattaway wrote:

: I don't see any advantage to the Apple cloud except that it puts all the eggs in one basket -- and then, as someone noted earlier in this thread, it becomes difficult for the user to disentangle himself from Apple's infrastructure.

Well, the latter point would only be a problem if one felt the need to "disentangle" themselves. I've been using Apple devices for 10 years and have never felt such a need, so it's sort of a moot point to me.

However, the broader point is that the cloud is more than just synced files. With Apple, I can answer any SMS or MMS text message from my computer, regardless of whether it came from an iPhone or not. I can also answer any phone call from my computer if my phone isn't handy (which is quite often for me). If I am out of range of wifi, I can create an instant hotspot from my computer, as my Mac is synced with my phone's hotspot software.

Particularly handy for me, my phone and my computer will remember the last thing I was doing on the other device, and will prompt me when I open it where I left off. In other words, if I'm working on a .doc file in Pages (Apple's word processing program) on my iPad, and I switch over to my computer, my computer remembers what I was doing on my iPad and has the document ready for me when I open the lid of my laptop.

It's the little things. Personally I think keeping eggs in multiple baskets is overrated. I prefer to carry less baskets, not more. :)

I love my 160G iPod classic. I have my entire lifetime music collection loaded there with plenty of available space. I can play it anywhere, without wifi or a hotspot. It's the ideal solution.

And Apple just cut off support for it.

Actually, while the iPod classic was indeed discontinued, the Genius Bar should still cover you with support on a 6th generation iPod. If it's out-of-warranty, you'll probably have to pay for any repairs, but the appointment is always free no matter what.

I'm with you though on what a wonderful device it is. I've had a 5th generation classic iPod for almost a decade. The screen is cracked, and the casing is pretty scratched up, but it still works, and I still use it as best as I can in my car for my tunes. 

Joel C wrote:

: However, the broader point is that the cloud is more than just synced files. With Apple, I can answer any SMS or MMS text message from my computer, regardless of whether it came from an iPhone or not.

I'd be surprised if I couldn't do that too, though I haven't looked into it.

: I can also answer any phone call from my computer if my phone isn't handy (which is quite often for me).

I make calls from my computer all the time via Google Voice, usually only when I'm making long-distance calls.

: If I am out of range of wifi, I can create an instant hotspot from my computer, as my Mac is synced with my phone's hotspot software.

I use my Samsung Galaxy S4 as a hotspot all the time, too.

: Particularly handy for me, my phone and my computer will remember the last thing I was doing on the other device, and will prompt me when I open it where I left off. In other words, if I'm working on a .doc file in Pages (Apple's word processing program) on my iPad, and I switch over to my computer, my computer remembers what I was doing on my iPad and has the document ready for me when I open the lid of my laptop.

This doesn't sound any different from how I use Dropbox, unless you mean Apple automatically opens the file for you on the second device. That's such a minor, minor step, though.