Sign in to follow this  
Overstreet

Superman Returns

I agree that Spacey is a good choice given the available talent, since Spacey does play "caustic intellectually superior roles," but the one thing I'm concerned about is his ability to play angry. I always get the impression of Spacey much the same as Jerry Seinfeld's friends did on the show when they pointed out that he doesn't yell. "You just kind of raise your voice a little and talk really fast."

Spacey can play the intelligent cold Luther, but can he convincingly portray the wrath and <b>power</b> that Luther needs to convey. I just can't see him pounding his desk screaming for Superman's life. I don't know. Hopefully he can surprise me.

"A director must live with the fact that his work will be called to judgment by someone who has never seen a film of Murnau's." - François Truffaut

Twitter.
Letterboxd.

Reviews and essays at Three Brothers Film.

I agree that Spacey is a good choice given the available talent, since Spacey does play "caustic intellectually superior roles," but the one thing I'm concerned about is his ability to play angry. I always get the impression of Spacey much the same as Jerry Seinfeld's friends did on the show when they pointed out that he doesn't yell. "You just kind of raise your voice a little and talk really fast."

Spacey can play the intelligent cold Luther, but can he convincingly portray the wrath and <b>power</b> that Luther needs to convey. I just can't see him pounding his desk screaming for Superman's life. I don't know. Hopefully he can surprise me.

I'm with you.

Spacey was an awesome villain in Seven and again in the Usual Suspects, but these were great performances for their understatement. And I love his slow-burn in GlenGarry Glenn Ross. But we're talking a decade since he gave a performance that busted out of his Spacey-shtick. I'm completely underwhelmed by this casting. They could have been a lot more creative.

I can't believe I'm saying this ... and I may punish myself for it in a moment ... but how about Tom Cruise? He's a great villain in Collateral, and a bald Cruise would have been a shock.

Colin Farrell was a great Bullseye ... almost made Daredevil worthwhile. Maybe he could redeem his Alexander by doing something where over-the-top really fits.

Clive Owen?

Jude Law?

John Malkovich?

Kevin Kline?

Val Kilmer?

Oh, here we go: Steve Carrell!! w00t.gif "Faaaantastic!"

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

Jeffrey Overstreet wrote:

: He's a great villain in Collateral . . .

I think I would disagree. I found myself nodding when I read that article in Salon on how Cruise has been trying to project "authority" lately but it isn't quite working.

: . . . and a bald Cruise would have been a shock.

For those who hadn't seen Minority Report, at any rate. smile.gif

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

I agree that Spacey is a good choice given the available talent, since Spacey does play "caustic intellectually superior roles," but the one thing I'm concerned about is his ability to play angry.  I always get the impression of Spacey much the same as Jerry Seinfeld's friends did on the show when they pointed out that he doesn't yell. "You just kind of raise your voice a little and talk really fast."

Okay, good point.
I can't believe I'm saying this ... and I may punish myself for it in a moment ... but how about Tom Cruise?

Man, come to your senses. Think what you are saying.

Remember this exchange, about The Last Samurai?

(source)
Stephen Hunter wrote:

So he's got Tom Cruise, as earnest and hopeless as the day is long, as both Toshiro Mifune and Kevin Costner. And to make this travesty worse, you can feel the handsome little guy "acting" with every fiber of his being. It's kind of unsettling. He resembles Sean Penn in "I Am Sam," except he seems to be shouting "I am Samurai." His face is a perpetual mask of scorn, his body a knot of anxiety, his eyes cranked down to laser glare. He's a poster boy for the concept of "trying too hard." He's not a hero, he's the guy at the party who's so intense you want him to stay away.

That is the most brutally incisive deconstruction of a performance I have ever read.

That's the single-most perfect description of why Cruise puts me off in almost every performance he gives.

I believe Anthony Lane commented at one point that Cruise always looks like he has little men running around in his head with little hammers constantly pounding on things so that he must forefully concentrate to think over the awful din.

I do commend you, Jeffrey, for trying to think outside the box, but that way lies madness.
Colin Farrell was a great Bullseye ... almost made Daredevil worthwhile.

Yes, he can do psycho. I have no reason to believe that he can do criminal mastermind, though. It's like the flip side of the coin from Spacey. If only there were some way to combine them!
Clive Owen?

Hm.
Jude Law?

I won't say no, although I'm beginning to wonder if Law isn't overrated.
John Malkovich?

ABSO-FREAKING-LUTELY. Bloody good call. He's almost as good as Spacey at smug intellectual superiority, and we KNOW he can do angry psycho.
Kevin Kline?

WHAT???!!!
Val Kilmer?

I know I'm in the minority, but you know I've never been a fan.

“I write because I don’t know what I think until I read what I say.” — Flannery O'Connor

Writing at the new Decent Films | Follow me on Twitter and Facebook

SDG:

Re: Colin Farrell

Yes, he can do psycho. I have no reason to believe that he can do criminal mastermind, though. It's like the flip side of the coin from Spacey. If only there were some way to combine them!

Obviously, the makers of Ordinary Decent Criminal choose to cast Spacey as the mastermind and Farrell as the thug...

"It's a dangerous business going out your front door." -- J.R.R. Tolkien
"I want to believe in art-induced epiphanies." -- Josie
"I would never be dismissive of pop entertainment; it's much too serious a matter for that." -- NBooth

"If apologetics could prove God, I would lose all faith in Him." -- Josie

"What if--just what if--the very act of storytelling is itself redemptive? What if gathering up the scraps and fragments of a disordered life and binding them between the pages of a book in all of their fragmentary disorder is itself a gambit against that disorder?" -- NBooth

Luthor is also supposed to be a very physical villian--not a couch potato. Cross Malkovich with Yul Brenner, and you'd get a perfect result.

Hm. Not Byrne's Luther. He was a pot-bellied CEO type that Lois Lane once snapped was "starting to look like Fred Mertz."

“I write because I don’t know what I think until I read what I say.” — Flannery O'Connor

Writing at the new Decent Films | Follow me on Twitter and Facebook

SDG wrote:

: Hm. Not Byrne's Luther. He was a pot-bellied CEO type that Lois Lane once

: snapped was "starting to look like Fred Mertz."

Wasn't the Byrne/Wolfman/post-Crisis Luthor perceived by some to be a rip-off of Marvel's Kingpin? Anyway, the pot-bellied CEO Luthor WAS the Luthor that Superman had to contend with for several years, from the mid-'80s to the early '90s, until he died -- from Kryptonite radiation poisoning! (Luthor had been wearing a kryptonite ring to keep Superman away, but apparently long, long-term exposure to kryptonite is as lethal for humans as immediate short-term exposure is to Kryptonians.)

Of course, shortly after Luthor's death, he was succeeded by a tall, virile, mysterious, red-haired son that no one had ever known he had ... but this son, of course, was just a genetically-engineered body containing the original Luthor's brain ...

I stopped reading Superman comics about nine or ten years ago, so I haven't a clue what's become of Luthor Jr.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Oh, and didn't Lois Lane date Lex Luthor, at first, in the Byrne continuity? If they really DO get Kate Bosworth to play Lois in the new film, it'll be Bobby Darin and Sandra Dee all over again!

Luthor, Jr.'s cloned body degenerated quicker than it ought to have, losing its hair. Thus, the current Luthor looks like a 40-year old bald version of Luthor - exactly as he should.

In other news, Mrs. CrimsonLine and I were watching Titanic last night (So what? we LIKE it! Don't bug me about it.) and I thought - Billy Zane would make an AWESOME Luthor.

In case you were wondering, my name is spelled "Denes House," but it's pronounced "Throatwobbler Mangrove."

crimsonline wrote:

: Luthor, Jr.'s cloned body degenerated quicker than it ought to have, losing its hair.

Oh, right -- I think I remember this process beginning before I stopped reading the comics. (I quit not too long after Superman came back from the dead -- though I did collect the first year or so of Superboy and Steel comics, too, which post-dated that.)

Well, most recently Luthor in the comics just finished up his term as President of the United States of America in shame, as Batman and Superman revealed his plot to draw a kryptonite meteor to Earth and blame it on Superman.

As for Malkovich, I could buy that.

As for Billy Zane, I thought it would have been great to make a movie with Dean Cain's Superman and Zane as Luthor. It would be the face off of the two reigning B-movie champs.

"A director must live with the fact that his work will be called to judgment by someone who has never seen a film of Murnau's." - François Truffaut

Twitter.
Letterboxd.

I've been talking to my brother and the more I think about this movie, the less excited I am. For example, Brandon Routh, I guess he's ok and I like that they didn't go for "star power", but it just seems odd to cast such a young Superman. If that's what they wanted I would have been happier with Tom Welling.

The more I think about it, I would have been really happy with Brendon Fraser as Superman. I think he would be particularily excellent as Clark Kent. He's got the all American good looks and he can be a good actor when he wants to be (e.g. The Quiet American), but he also seems comfortable with pulp/comic book material.

Twitter.
Letterboxd.

I was never too keen on Brendan Fraser as Superman. He carries too much "bad" baggage with him. I don't want to see George of the Jungle as Superman. I just don't. He too often plays the clueless dope, which I don't want to even have enter my mind when seeing Clark Kent OR Superman.

I thought a bunch of the soap stars they were talking about for Supes looked good, but I'm not unhappy with Routh. Because they are all so unknown, I have no way of judging their acting or their PRESENCE - a key thing for Superman - I just have to trust the director. I trust Brian Singer maybe 75%.

In case you were wondering, my name is spelled "Denes House," but it's pronounced "Throatwobbler Mangrove."

More than a little similar to Batman Begins, isn't it?

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

"Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You just can't let the world judge you too much." - Maude 
Harold and Maude

I think the thread was pretty explicit that this was a fan poster. It's awesome, though.

Superman V??

To be honest, given the fact that, first of all, Superman III and IV were pretty disastrous, and, that sequels (with relatively rare exceptions), in general, tend to be disastrous, I admit that I harbor a heavy dose of skepticism here as to how Superman V would come out. My prediction--not so great.

Superhero Hype has put up an exclusive look at the official S-shield design for the new Superman movie.

user posted image

Methinks 'tis KEWL!

??

As far as that shield goes, me thinks it's HUGE!!!!

Even more interesting at that link was the full cast list:

Brandon Routh plays the dual roles of Clark Kent and the Man of Steel. Joining Routh are Kate Bosworth as Lois Lane; Kevin Spacey as Superman's archenemy, Lex Luthor; James Marsden as Richard White; Eva Marie Saint as Martha Kent; Parker Posey as Kitty Kowalski; Kal Penn as Stanford; and Sam Huntington as Jimmy Olsen.

Wait a sec... Eva Marie Saint?! Didn't know she was still doing movies...

Edited by Clint M

Dang! You beat me to it! I was on my way to post the link to this pic. Well, if you want it in high-res, so that you can see the pattern on the blue, red, and yellow, here's the link to Brandon Routh's Official Site.

I'm a long-time Superman fan. I like the suit. I would have preferred brighter colors, and a larger S-shield, but all in all I am satisfied. It's not as close to the Classic suit as Spider-Man's suit is - I think that the Spider-Man movie suit sets the gold standard for "updated fidelity" - but I think this suit is well within the ballpark of acceptability.

I note that the up-angle perspective enforces the "super" look, but I remain concerned that Routh does have the, um, bulk to pull it off...the upside of that is, of course, that Clark Kent will probably work great. (Will Kent be shot from above?)

I think he's got the physical look to pull off Superman. Remember, Reeve's Superman wasn't anywhere near the muscular look the the comic books give the character. You would need an actor with a bodybuilder build to fully represent Superman (at least his apperance in the last decade of the comic book) properly.

(You should take a look at Reeve during his audition in the costume. It's on the Superman DVD. Yikes.)

That said, I think the costume for this movie is OK. Hopefully it looks better on film than it does in this picture.

Edited by Clint M