Sign in to follow this  

Member Ratings Enabled

:unsure: Will the user know who's rating them?

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

well, they can see who's visited their profile lately

A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

Cue deep sense of grim foreboding...

In case you were wondering, my name is spelled "Denes House," but it's pronounced "Throatwobbler Mangrove."

And after I rated you 4.0/5, too! :(

;) (luv u Alan!)

Edited by CrimsonLine

In case you were wondering, my name is spelled "Denes House," but it's pronounced "Throatwobbler Mangrove."

That's it. You're 1.0/5 to me...

Actually, I hear you, Denes. I've thought long and hard about this and think it's worth a try.

There are two or three key benefits I think we can gain from this:

1. We repeatedly have members of our community who feel they're not being heard or that other members are getting away with bad behavior. This system will allow feedback and a bit of self-policing. It will give agrieved users the ability to see that all is not so dim as they think, and it might also humble the proud.
  2. I read people posting and feeling overwhelmed by the quality of some of our members--this will enable positive feedback and encourage those just starting out.
The only risk is that people will take pot-shots at one another using this system. I hope for more from this community, but even so, if people use the system those kind of votes will be anomalies and overwhelmed by other voters.

I think it's a great idea in principle, actually. I've just served too much time on the internet to be terribly hopeful about abuse-prevention.

I'll say it publicly - I think you're an excellent moderator, and the careful attention that you give to this board is one of the factors that brings me back day in and day out. I also eagerly read posts by SDG, Chattaway, Greg Wright, and Overstreet, and love the contributions of Christian, Jeff, opus, the Darre/yls, nardis, and a bunch of others. I rarely run across anyone who makes this a less-pleasant place to be, and those folk don't tend to stay long.

I know that ratings are private, but we have a whole passel of stand-outs here. Some of them are quite opinionated, though the flavor they add to the discussions is important and welcome. I just hope that folks won't get slammed for being opinionated, just because people don't agree with them. Just as a f'rinstance, A&F would be poorer without either nardis OR Chattaway; they don't agree with each other EVER, :) but I'd hate to see either of them dinged just because they are outspoken.

Now, the Star-Belly Sneetches

Had bellies with stars.

The Plain-Belly Sneetches

Had none upon thars.

I think I'm in trouble!

Yours truly,

ABP

No one with a good car needs to be justified. -- Hazel Motes

In the final end, he won the wars, after losin' every battle.-- Bob Dylan, Idiot Wind

Hot Rod Anglican blog ...