Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

MP3s of the Moment!

60 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I'd like to have an MP3 of the Moment thread, one that works like the Trailers thread in the Film section.

We can post mp3s we find accessible on the web... tracks that seem to be provided properly and legally... as a way of checking out new music.

For example:

David Bazan's Black Cloud covers Radiohead's Let Down, and others cover the rest of OK Computer...

Over the Rhine - Trouble

Over the Rhine - Entertaining Thoughts

And Over the Rhine's If a Song Could Be President

Anybody have links you'd like to share?

Edited by Jeffrey Overstreet

Posted · Report post

This would a great pinned thread.

Pelle Carlberg - "Clever Girls Like Clever Boys More Than Clever Boys Like Clever Girls"

I was drawn to this song because it features one of the best titles of a song EVER! Seriously, it's a ridiculously good title. Fortunately, the music is good too. Landing somewhere in between the sad-sack pop of The Queen is Dead era Smiths and the jauntier moments of Belle and Sebastian's Tigermilk, this song absolutely thrills someone like me who actually admits to listening to twee.

Posted · Report post

A friend pointed me to two tracks from a band called Yeasayer:

"2080"

"Sunrise"

Sort of Clap Your Hands Say Yeah-ish, sort of Lansing-Dreiden-ish, and yet nothing like them.

The Mary Onettes put out one of my fave discs of the year. Here are some tracks:

"Lost"

"Void"

Posted · Report post

Adrian Orange & Her Band : "You're My Home", from the new album on K Records this fall.

(full disclosure: that's me on piano. We didn't rehearse. The take on the album is probably my third time hearing the song ever--the recording environment at Calvin Johnson's legendary Dub Narcotic studios gave the session a sort of Stax records quality-- an emphasis on spontaneity and "vibe" over technical perfection.)

Here is an MP3, quite literally 'of the moment'. It seemed like a good idea at the time; it was not a good idea. It was and was not a good idea. So bad it's good, or so bad it's come back to bad again? Not sure.

Anyway, here is our valient attempt to create that primary-school vibe favoured by Maher Shalal Hash Baz:

Wake up

Edited by stu

Posted · Report post

More and more of The Trumpet Child is out there.

Here's Over The Rhine - Who'm I Kiddin' But Me

Posted · Report post

Judas by Peter La Grand.

He's a friend of a friend, but it's still one of my favourite songs from last year.

Musically, the new Kanye West song "Can't Tell Me Nothing'" isn't bad, but the video is genius.

It features Zach Galifianakis and Bonnie "Prince" Billy performing the song on a farm. (Minor Offensive Content Warning)

Edited by Clint M

Posted · Report post

If you go to Explosions' in the sky's website and click on the album 'The earth is not a cold dead place' there is a free mp3 called 'Your Hand in Mine'.

This song does strange things to me. It gives me a little taste of heaven, and makes me sick for more.

Posted · Report post

Caribou's "Melody Day" from Andorra.

Talk about the perfect song for the end of summer. It's a perfect blend of pop and haze.

Posted · Report post

I wish I could find an MP3 of The Lodger's "Getting Special", because it's one of my favorite pop songs right now. But these other three tracks from their debut full-length will have to suffice, I suppose.

You can, however, listen to "Getting Special" on the band's MySpace page, and I suggest you do so. It starts off a little Franz Ferdinand-esque, but then blossoms into something that, for some reason, makes me think of Saint Etienne crossed with Pulp.

Posted · Report post

I wish I could find an actual MP3 of it, but Matthew Sweet has a new song posted on his MySpace page called (get this) "Badass." Despite having a very similar hook to the bonus track "So Far" from his greatest hits collection, the song rocks harder than anything he's done in years. His new album (still tentatively titled Rock Bottom) has been lingering in post-production hell for a year or so; I'm glad it'll be coming out soon.

Posted · Report post

"Friday Night at the Drive-In Bingo" - Jens Lekman from the album Night Falls Over Kortedala.

Jens Lekman continues his track records of writing ridiculously catchy tunes ("You are the Light", "Black Cab", "A Sweet Summers Night on Hammerhill", "the Opposite of Hallelujuah") and once again combines his affinity for Steven Merritt and motown in this uptemp horn laced ditty about a ...Friday night at the the drive-in Bingo.

Posted · Report post

I enjoyed Stereogum's OKX ten-year anniversary covers tribute to OK Computer earlier this year. So I'm not sure why the Gum's latest set of free covers fills me with such trepidation:

Drive XV: A Tribute to Automatic for the People

Proceed at your own risk.

Posted · Report post

My favourite Bjork song, as well.

Posted · Report post

In 2006 Beach House released their self-titled debut album. Since it's release it has become one of my favorite 2 or 3 releases from that year. For those of you not in the know it's a low-fi grey winter day type of album that falls somewhere between Mazzy Star and Low. Did I mention the vocals are a dead ringer for Hope Sandoval?

Anyway, in 2008 they will be releasing the follow-up entitled Devotion. In the meantime they've offered up a taste of "Gila". It certainly continues the trajectory of their previous album but offers and added layer of warmth and delicacy to its monocromatic tones. I'm really digging it.

Beach House - "Gila"

Posted · Report post

I just got an e-mail concerning the new Beach House album and checked out their MySpace page. You're right, there's a definite Mazzy Star/Low vibe there, with bits and pieces of Galaxie 500 here and there. I dig it...