Sign in to follow this  

Oscars 2004: Song

Which entry should win for best song? (samples below!)  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Man, they're all pretty good. I hate to have to choose. I'm tempted to go with 'Into the West' just because TFotR's theme song lost to Randy Newman's theme song for Monsters Inc., while TTT's theme song wasn't even nominated (the winner that year was an Eminem song from 8 Mile) -- but it's not my favorite song of the three. Hmmm. Then again, 'Belleville' IS pretty catchy, and 'Scarlet Tide' ain't too bad either in a sot sort of way.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Alan wrote:

: The thing that bothers me about this category--especially the ROTK song

: --is when the song has nothing to do with the actual film.

Eh? The 'Into the West' melody is incorporated into Howard Shore's score at least twice (once when Gandalf describes the afterlife to Pippin, and once when Sam carries Frodo up the mountain, as I recall). What's more, the song itself plays over some lovely images of the characters etc. -- the entire package is a nice visual and musical farewell to the characters we've come to know and love.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

So, credits aren't part of the film? I don't know about that :?

"A director must live with the fact that his work will be called to judgment by someone who has never seen a film of Murnau's." - François Truffaut

Twitter.
Letterboxd.

Reviews and essays at Three Brothers Film.

Given that I just watched "A Mighty Wind" the other day, I'm giving "A Kiss at the End of the Rainbow" the edge. There's something that's pure and fun about it. Of course, that means it won't win, but heck... :wink: