Sign in to follow this  
Buckeye Jones

NCAA Football 2007

Pre-season Rankings.

Well, even though the Buckeyes are picked to finish 3rd in the Big 10 this year, and have one of the weakest nonconference schedules they've had in years, I'm still having trouble finding tickets to a game. But the worst news is that the Big 10 is rolling out its own moneygrubbing, fan-unfriendly, TV network available in limited markets and mostly on satellite. So the Buckeyes' games, besides M@#$%gan, Washington, Penn State, and Wisconsin (and maybe Purdue) will be unavailable to me. That sucks, but now my Saturday afternoons will be more free.

Is this that School up North's year? Or will Lloyd retire an almost ran, 10 years since his last moment of glory?

Will Pete Carrol's obnoxious prep school SoCal prettyboys run all the way to the Championship?

Will this be the year the BCS implodes?

Will a midmajor *cough* Cardinals *cough* make it to the title match, or be left out only to make their millions in the Sugar Bowl?

Will a running back earn the Heisman?

Or will Jim Tressel surprise us all with a 2002 repeat: defense, defense, field position, and don't give the pig away?

Well, even though the Buckeyes are picked to finish 3rd in the Big 10 this year, and have one of the weakest nonconference schedules they've had in years, I'm still having trouble finding tickets to a game. But the worst news is that the Big 10 is rolling out its own moneygrubbing, fan-unfriendly, TV network available in limited markets and mostly on satellite. So the Buckeyes' games, besides M@#$%gan, Washington, Penn State, and Wisconsin (and maybe Purdue) will be unavailable to me. That sucks, but now my Saturday afternoons will be more free.

Ironically, the Big Ten Network is currently unavailable in Columbus, at least through any of the major cable providers. I agree that it sucks. It will be unavailable in my home regardless of whether a cable provider comes to the rescue and offers to charge me an exorbitant monthly fee to watch Ohio State vs. Youngstown State.

I think John David Bootaay is overrated, so I look for USC to go down at least once, maybe twice. The eventualy champion? I hate to write it. How about The Florida Gators, with one loss, over a previously undefeated Louisville Cardinals team.

Oh come ON!! Where's the love for my Swoonerines? Three! Count 'em, THREE "legitimate Heisman Trophy candidates" this year, or so says the Sporting News. Actually, I never hazzard a guess this "early" in the "season". I like to wait, on principle 'til sometime around the World Series to even think about rankings.

You guys are perfect for this question, but anyone can play: What color(s) and who was on last week's Sports Illustrated cover in your neck of the woods? Michigan was only rated sixth, but Hart was set against a maize background up here., which is why I'm suspicious. Of course, maybe SI is finally hip to its pre-season cover jinx and is quietly rooting for the Champions of The West. Any other colors and personalities out there?

MattP   

Is this the year that an SEC team with the same # of losses as a Big 10, Big 12, or Pac 10 team finally gets to not worry about getting left out of the championship game if it comes down to a vote? Wll LSU and Florida's complete embarrassment of Notre Dame and Ohio State have an impact in the voters' minds? (Sorry for the jab, but this board feels a little midwest-heavy at times, and there's a week and a half left for a fan of southern football to gloat. B) )

Ironically, the Big Ten Network is currently unavailable in Columbus, at least through any of the major cable providers. I agree that it sucks. It will be unavailable in my home regardless of whether a cable provider comes to the rescue and offers to charge me an exorbitant monthly fee to watch Ohio State vs. Youngstown State.

Yeah, that TV network is ridiculous, and the really bad things is that other conferences are thinking about doing the same thing. Here's hoping fan reaction from the Big 10 is so bad that no one else decides to do it. Are those games even going to be accesible by things like ESPN Gameplan? I know that the "Lincoln Financial" network shows an SEC game each week (after CBS and ESPN pick theirs), and they're only available in certain southern states, but I can get their game every week through an arrangement they have with ESPN gameplan to show them in out of market areas.

Off topic, but related: with money being the obvious reason for the college football powers-that-be to do everything they do, how is it they haven't figured out yet that they can make more money through some sort of playoff - even something just like a plus 1?

I think John David Bootaay is overrated, so I look for USC to go down at least once, maybe twice. The eventualy champion? I hate to write it. How about The Florida Gators, with one loss, over a previously undefeated Louisville Cardinals team.

I really hope you're right about USC, but the combination of talent that goes 5-star all the way to the third stringers and a conference schedule that's um...well, the Pac-10, I'm not convinced they can be stopped.

Florida, on the other hand, lost a ton of talent on defense (in addition to their underrated starting quarterback) and has a typically brutal SEC schedule. No way they get through unscathed. If it's going to be anybody from the SEC, it's going to be LSU. They've got some scary talent this year.

You guys are perfect for this question, but anyone can play: What color(s) and who was on last week's Sports Illustrated cover in your neck of the woods? Michigan was only rated sixth, but Hart was set against a maize background up here., which is why I'm suspicious. Of course, maybe SI is finally hip to its pre-season cover jinx and is quietly rooting for the Champions of The West. Any other colors and personalities out there?

I'm trying to remember who was on the cover out here in LA (I've thrown it away already), but I seem to remember seeing in the first few pages that there were 3 or 4 covers total for the issue. I did love seeing the "and only 3 pages on USC" quote at the top of the cover! (Was that on all of them, or just out here in LA?)

Now, if I can switch gears and talk about something important: Alabama. ;) I'll go ahead and post my official projection to the internets, where they cannot later be denied. Better than most people outside the state of Alabama are expecting; worse than most people inside the state expect. Nick Saban will make an obvious difference in the team's success by having a team finish the season playing better than they started it, but he will not actually walk on water. WAY better offense than you're used to seeing from Bama (this O could be REALLY good), but worse defense. Games won't all be 13-10 anymore, they'll be more like 31-28. Finally, I'm gonna say 9-3. (Losses to 3 of 4 to: Georgia, Tenn, LSU, Auburn; Wins over 1 of those plus Florida State.)

Oh come ON!! Where's the love for my Swoonerines? Three! Count 'em, THREE "legitimate Heisman Trophy candidates" this year, or so says the Sporting News. Actually, I never hazzard a guess this "early" in the "season". I like to wait, on principle 'til sometime around the World Series to even think about rankings.

Mike Hart was on the cover here in Columbus well, with that dingy mustard background.

Clint M   

I think it would be difficult for Louisville to make it to the championship game without an undefeated season. Other than West Virginia and Rutgers (and I'm guessing the latter will be either on the outs or out of the top 25 at that point in the season) in November, they play some very easy games to start the season. Kentucky might give them a bit of problems - provided that UK's team is as decent as they are hyped about this year - but I can't see Louisville going undefeated until end of November. I'm hoping, at the least, for another major bowl appearance for the Cards, and a good bowl appearance for the Cats.

USC is overrated again, in my opinion.

The SEC will beat each other senseless all season, then one or two teams will shine while the rest suffer in the bowl season. The LSU-Florida should be a must-see this year - only because I think it will be a #1 vs. #2 by the time it rolls around.

BTW, I want another season of college football like last year's season. Unpredictable, smash-mouth football each week with big upsets.

Edited by Clint M

BTW, I want another season of college football like last year's season. Unpredictable, smash-mouth football each week with big upsets.

Yup. Me too. Underneath all the "Boy do I want my team(s) to win!", nothing beats uncertainty, particularly when compard with the usual suspects piling it on the weaker brothers.

Mike Hart was on the cover here in Columbus well, with that dingy mustard background.

Um, that's maize. Maize, not mustard. And hey, I've endured plenty of scarlet covers good naturedly in my time. Even read some of the articles too, which is more than I can say for the linebackers usually covered in the articles in question. :D

Edited by Rich Kennedy

Um, that's maize. Maize, not mustard. And hey, I've endured plenty of scarlet covers good naturedly in my time. Even read some of the articles too, which is more than I can say for the linebackers usually covered in the articles in question. :D

I'll grant you Katzenmoyer, but AJ Hawk and Speilman are sharp guys!

I'll grant you Katzenmoyer, but AJ Hawk and Speilman are sharp guys!

Oh now. Spielman has been granted honorary non-Buckeye status up here, man. Were his grades really that bad? He seemed like a pretty bright guy to me. You'd have to be if you played like that and were so "small". Sometimes it seems like Hawk and Katz are the biggest guys on the field, even in the pros.

BTW, Andy, how'd you find out about Rube blackouts in Columbus, of all places? You got me worried about the Swoonerines and whether I'll be able to see anything other than the ASU game. I prefer the ABC/ESPN guys to the game callers they seem to find on the street for Big 10 games on lesser channels.

UPDATE: Here at least, Comcast is out of the running for now to negotiate with B10N, but negotiations are still continuing withother providers. Apparantly though, according to my WOW! rep (we are changing from Comcast next week to one of those around the world packages that include telephone, Cable, and Cable internet hookup), only two OSU games and five other games (one each for UM and MSU, Happy Appie is the UM choice), possibly up to 17 games total are slated for exclusive B10N coverage.

Edited by Rich Kennedy

BTW, Andy, how'd you find out about Rube blackouts in Columbus, of all places? You got me worried about the Swoonerines and whether I'll be able to see anything other than the ASU game. I prefer the ABC/ESPN guys to the game callers they seem to find on the street for Big 10 games on lesser channels.

UPDATE: Here at least, Comcast is out of the running for now to negotiate with B10N, but negotiations are still continuing withother providers. Apparantly though, according to my WOW! rep (we are changing from Comcast next week to one of those around the world packages that include telephone, Cable, and Cable internet hookup), only two OSU games and five other games (one each for UM and MSU, Happy Appie is the UM choice), possibly up to 17 games total are slated for exclusive B10N coverage.

The B10N is all the rage right now in Columbus, with heavy emphasis on rage. Neither Time Warner nor Comcast, the two big cable providers, will carry it. Bitterness and recrimination rain down on all sides. The B10N claims the cable providers haven't negotiated in good faith; the cable providers counter that the B10N is holding them hostage financially. Meanwhile, no one gets to watch any football; more specifically, nobody gets to watch the two OSU games that are only covered on the B10N. If you have a satellite dish, you'll probably be able to pick up the games.

I'd like to think that the fans are smart enough to revolt and simply refuse to play this game. Just say No to the B10N. But they're not. Thirty thousand of them waited outside for hours in 96 degree heat yesterday to secure the autographs of their favorite Buckeyes. Several people interviewed on the local sports talk show talked reverently about treasuring the autographs of James Laurinaitis and Beanie Wells, and passing them along to their grandkids one day. You can bet that these folks will shell out the necessary cash to watch the titanic struggle between Ohio State and Youngstown State.

I will not be one of them. It's bad enough that I have to spend $50 per month to pick up basic cable. I'm not going to shell out for a "Premium" channel that shows OSU vs. YSU, and exciting Big Ten women's slo-pitch softball games during the 350 days per year when football is not played. It won't be long before we get to shell out $79 for the privilege of watching that one-time OSU vs. Michigan Pay Per View event.

The B10N is all the rage right now in Columbus, with heavy emphasis on rage. Neither Time Warner nor Comcast, the two big cable providers, will carry it. Bitterness and recrimination rain down on all sides. The B10N claims the cable providers haven't negotiated in good faith; the cable providers counter that the B10N is holding them hostage financially. Meanwhile, no one gets to watch any football; more specifically, nobody gets to watch the two OSU games that are only covered on the B10N. If you have a satellite dish, you'll probably be able to pick up the games.

I'd like to think that the fans are smart enough to revolt and simply refuse to play this game. Just say No to the B10N. But they're not. Thirty thousand of them waited outside for hours in 96 degree heat yesterday to secure the autographs of their favorite Buckeyes. Several people interviewed on the local sports talk show talked reverently about treasuring the autographs of James Laurinaitis and Beanie Wells, and passing them along to their grandkids one day. You can bet that these folks will shell out the necessary cash to watch the titanic struggle between Ohio State and Youngstown State.

I will not be one of them. It's bad enough that I have to spend $50 per month to pick up basic cable. I'm not going to shell out for a "Premium" channel that shows OSU vs. YSU, and exciting Big Ten women's slo-pitch softball games during the 350 days per year when football is not played. It won't be long before we get to shell out $79 for the privilege of watching that one-time OSU vs. Michigan Pay Per View event.

Amen.

Up here, where half the football watching public seems to have inherited their 10 inch bench seats to the Big House, the cable companies are doing the populist thing by wanting us to protest on internet and by phone. They DO have a point. The sticking points that the papers here are pushing is the increased cost in the Big Ten states for a national network. Not too much different than the NFL network fight right now. As to PPV for The Game? I've been dreading the day for a few years now. It's ironic that if we all would just agree to vacation together in ACC or SEC country that week, The Game would be free and we could fight it out in our easy chairs together! This year, other than Penn State, Wisconsin, and ND, it is the only game to really get excited about on "our" schedule.

T-minus 24 hours until the start of another wacky season in Buckeye football land, and the team's first two games are officially in limbo (does that still exist, or did the Catholic Church relabel it the Big Ten Network?). Oh, they'll be played all right. It's just that if you're not one of the lucky 110,000 sitting inside the Horseshoe, you won't be able to see them. That's because the B10N still has not reached an agreement with any central Ohio cable providers.

Last year all 12 Ohio State regular season games were televised by ABC/ESPN. They were free ("free" being a relative term meaning that they were part of the basic cable package). Most were shown in high definition. This year we have the privilege of paying extra for a premium cable service that currently no one can receive, to watch games that currently cannot be broadcast in high definition even if some cable company miraculously steps in and works out an eleventh-hour deal. Somebody explain to me again just why this is a good thing ...

What if they invented a new network and nobody came? One can dream.

MattP   
T-minus 24 hours until the start of another wacky season in Buckeye football land, and the team's first two games are officially in limbo (does that still exist, or did the Catholic Church relabel it the Big Ten Network?). Oh, they'll be played all right. It's just that if you're not one of the lucky 110,000 sitting inside the Horseshoe, you won't be able to see them. That's because the B10N still has not reached an agreement with any central Ohio cable providers.

Last year all 12 Ohio State regular season games were televised by ABC/ESPN. They were free ("free" being a relative term meaning that they were part of the basic cable package). Most were shown in high definition. This year we have the privilege of paying extra for a premium cable service that currently no one can receive, to watch games that currently cannot be broadcast in high definition even if some cable company miraculously steps in and works out an eleventh-hour deal. Somebody explain to me again just why this is a good thing ...

What if they invented a new network and nobody came? One can dream.

Looking at the Big 10 Networkwebsite, it seems like just about the whole site is dedicated to pointing the finger at either the cable companies or even the customers. ("Act now or you'll miss your Big 10 games. Call...") It's times like this is I think socialism might not be so bad.

I am wondering about the HD thing though. I thought almost all the Big 10 Network games are going to be shown in HD. Or is it that even the companies that are picking up the network aren't picking up the HD version of the channels?

I would think that this would be a serious negative for Big 10 recruiting as well. I know I got Big 10 games almost every week out here in LA on ABC/ESPN. You can be pretty sure my local cable company's not going to shell out for the Big 10 Network if the local companies aren't. So instead of getting nationwide attention every week on a major channel, you get a much smaller audience.

Edited by popechild

MattP   
#5 Michigan can't get the season started off right - a loss to Appalachian State, 32-34.

Ouch. This one's gotta hurt bad enough. I don't even think I can bring myself to rub it in.

#5 Michigan can't get the season started off right - a loss to Appalachian State, 32-34.

Ouch. This one's gotta hurt bad enough. I don't even think I can bring myself to rub it in.

Rub, rub, rub... :huh::blink: ::w00t:: :lol:

On paper, this game always bothered me. I knew that they'd be pretty good and I knew that Michigan is weak in its first game. The problem is with having listened to the game itself. It was horrible. Carr's gotta go. I don't care if we run the table and win the BCS (I say this ONLY because the Swoonerines were/are part of several scenarios for just that). The Blue and White game in a down year COULDN'T go that badly. They were so unprepared (something Carr copped to after the game) that having come back from a serious deficit at the half, the Mountineers blocked TWO (2) consecutive field goals that bracketted one of their own to save the win. I am eternally grateful to the B10N for my not being able to see this.

MattP   

If USC is still atop the polls after LSU's performance tonight, well... I don't know. I don't mind the pre-season polls, they're fun discussion fodder, but at least keep 'em nice and flexible. USC looked out of sync in a win against Idaho, LSU has dominated two weeks in a row. Another team based on performance only that should be way up there: Georgia Tech. Anyway, we'll see what happens.

In other news, I'm already frustrated by next week's Michigan / ND game. Why does one of them have to get a win?? Ah, what the heck Rich. I think I'll be pulling for your boys for this one. Nobody brings out the hatred like an overrated Irish team, and while this year's team may not have actually been rated (and therefore maybe not overrated), just having to listen to Lou Holtz spew his dribble about how they'd win 10 games this year and the national championship next is enough to keep me hating them.

(One final late-breaking note as I type this: After seeing Michigan's continued decline, and OSU's 3-2 halftime lead over the Zips, it's gotta be encouraging for Big 10 pride to see Wisconsin pull out a close one over UNLV...)

:D

...Oops, almost forgot. At 2-0 I've got to get in one final "We're going to win it all" for my Tide this season before they actually have to start playing decent teams next week...

Ah, what the heck Rich. I think I'll be pulling for your boys for this one. Nobody brings out the hatred like an overrated Irish team, and while this year's team may not have actually been rated (and therefore maybe not overrated),

If they don't both acquit themselves well and win this one coming up, I may end up following the boys from the Sunday papers for the rest of the season and rekindle some lesser enthusiasms from other regions. This is becoming painful. Almost like "Because we couldn't go for three." drawn out over a whole season. I'm having to accept the fact that Michigan's string of 38 almost uninterrupted years of fine football is better than what most elite schools have done.

...Oops, almost forgot. At 2-0 I've got to get in one final "We're going to win it all" for my Tide this season before they actually have to start playing decent teams next week....

Yes, but you have Saban and all the blessings and penance thereby provided. Enjoy it while it lasts. And it will be enjoyable.

Dearest Rich,

Quack.

Sincerely,

-Jeff, a Duck

There's something oddly reminiscent about the Buckeyes this year.... defense, defense, just score enough to win...oh, yeah, it reminds me of the last national championship team.

Anyway, the B10 sans Wisconsin is looking meh this year. We'll see what happens next weekend. How about UCF or FIU, or whatever the Big East team was that beat Auburn. How long will this Big East run last?