Recommendation for backup program

MattP

Can anyone recommend a good program for regularly backing up my computers? It's been a woefully inadequate area of my home network for too long and I want to fix it. My requirements are:

1) backup across a network to a networked drive on a NAS

2) perform incremental backups automatically on a schedule

3) "self-regulating" in terms of size; ie. I should be able to leave it alone and not have it grow and grow indefinitely. It could delete backups after a certain amount of time or something...

4) (Ideally) pc and mac compatible

I looked awhile back briefly and ended up trying Acronis True Image 10 as a trial. It did everything I wanted it to do, but it has a bug (or multiple bugs) that prevented me from buying it. Basically, it could back up across a network, OR follow backup "rules" to auto-delete backups after a prescribed amount of time, but it couldn't do both together.

Anybody using anything they like?

"You guys don't really know who you're dealing with."

"Oh yeah, and who exactly are we dealing with?"

"I'm the mother flippin' rhymenoceros."

Get an HP Media Vault.

I use one of these, which comes with really terrific backup software. I bought the additional hard drive and use the built-in RAID controller to provide for failover. About once a month, I swap out the extra HD with another one I have in our safe deposit box at the bank. The device works great, allows for multiple users and multiple folders. It's also a print server and streaming media server. Only downside is that the printer sharing is Windows only. (The file sharing works great with a Mac as well as Windows.)

All my email is in GMail

All my photos are at Flickr

Additionally, copies of all my tax returns are archived in the Web-based version of TurboTax.

(A&F backups are on the vault system described above.)

Actually, that's pretty similar in function to what I've already built on my own, only without the built-in backup software, which is the part I need. I've got a close to 2TB server that runs off of NASLite-2 (linux based - it actually boots off a 64mb memory stick, so 100% of my harddrive space is purely storage, which is very cool (and energy efficient I might add :-)), and my only printer is wirelessly networked, so I pretty much just need the software that runs on that HP thing! Don't think I could justify the price though since I don't need any of the other features. One question about it - does it have anything like the "backup rules" that Acronis has (but that don't completely work) that self-regulates the amount of space it takes up? Like is it smart enough to record a full backup once-a week, then incremental backups daily until the next week, then after 3 full backups have been performed, automatically delete the oldest one? That sort of thing? If so, maybe I can find out what software it's running and just buy that somewhere...

One other thing: Interesting that it comes "pre-loaded" with the Borne Identity, considering the legal challenges that Kaleidescape has been facing - even though they have a complete, locked-down system, whereas I'd imagine the movie on the HP machine is completely unprotected.

"You guys don't really know who you're dealing with."

"Oh yeah, and who exactly are we dealing with?"

"I'm the mother flippin' rhymenoceros."