Sign in to follow this  
Jim Janknegt

Foxes and Birds

My wife and I have been talking about what seems to be our constant state of loss, the grief we feel to be ever present with us. We have lost several communities over the years not to mention deaths of parents, spouse and other relatives and friends. Just over a year ago a religious sister we had become very close to was transferred out of the country due in part to some very underhanded and slanderous actions of some folks who did not appreciate her and who felt disappointed in her.

I had also been reading a book by Sister Wendy Beckett, The Mystical Now: Art and the Sacred (I highly recommend it.) Her introductory essay ends by reflecting on what she calls

yank_eh   

i love the owl in the cactus! I could easily see this image accompanying an article in a magazine. Nice work.

I'm curious, though, about your choice of a gleaming white t-shirt on a man with no place to lay his head.

KShaw   

Just wanted to say, this is really beautiful. I think you do a great job of evoking that sense of desolation and weariness (particularly in the blank, gaping sky and the bleached tree limbs).

I'm curious, though, about your choice of a gleaming white t-shirt on a man with no place to lay his head.

Hmm...I just thought it was because the man is Jesus.