Sign in to follow this  
Christian

In Today's Installment of, "Oh, NOW They Tell Us..."

The government is about to officially recommend that pregnant women consume at least 12 oz. of fish per week! And no mention of limits on "high-mercury" fish, as far as I can tell from this article.

I should be happy to see sensible nutrition vindicated once again, but I get angry over the government's failings in this area. How many babies (and adults) have suffered because of the wrong-headed information given on the "authority" of the U.S. government these past several years?

Irritating.

And people wonder why I recommend Atkins, which has been pointing this out for years. Sheesh.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

Read the fine print. I'll bet not just any fish, but wild caught, which is higher in mercury than farm raised, but actually has high levels of Omega 3 oil, the main reason for fish in any diet. I had this out with the medical director of our weight loss program this summer. As long as mercury levels are at reasonably low levels, Omega 3 trumps mercury. Farm raised fish have little or no Omega 3. It has to come from a (carnivorous) diet.

And yet, Atkins rejects bread, the staff of life. As does my own program. I'm allowed two slices a day of only whole grain.

Oh. One more thing. Studies come and studies go, as do their groundbreaking conclusions.

Edited by Rich Kennedy

"During the contest trial, the Coleman team presented evidence of a further 6500 absentees that it felt deserved to be included under the process that had produced the prior 933 [submitted by Franken, rk]. The three judges finally defined what constituted a 'legal' absentee ballot. Countable ballots, for instance, had to contain the signature of the voter, complete registration information, and proper witness credentials.

But the panel only applied the standards going forward, severely reducing the universe of additional basentees the Coleman team could hope to have included. In the end, the three judges allowed about 350 additional absentees to be counted. The panel also did nothing about the hundreds, possibly thousands, of absentees that have already been legally included, yet are now 'illegal' according to the panel's own ex-post definition."

The Wall Street Journal editorial, April 18, 2009 concerning the Franken Coleman decision in the Minnesota U.S. Senate race of 2008.

The Atkins bread rejection -- that's always been my downfall. ;)

I'm with you on the Omega 3/mercury argument.

If the studies weren't government supported "conventional wisdom," I'd go easier on them. Yes, studies come to different conclusions. But when the U.S. government "blesses" certain findings which then prove to be wrong, it makes me throw my hands up in the air, disgusted.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

Oh, indeed. And HHS keeps redifining obesity every year or so. When we joined this medical weightloss program through Dena's hospital last summer, they scoffed at some of the HHS guidelines. And they can get a little fringey in this program. For example, my target weight is 200 to 205 for the year (at their pace, it should take at least that long). But, if we went with govt. figures, my target weight would be 190. Even my counselor thought I'd be skin and bones at that weight.

"During the contest trial, the Coleman team presented evidence of a further 6500 absentees that it felt deserved to be included under the process that had produced the prior 933 [submitted by Franken, rk]. The three judges finally defined what constituted a 'legal' absentee ballot. Countable ballots, for instance, had to contain the signature of the voter, complete registration information, and proper witness credentials.

But the panel only applied the standards going forward, severely reducing the universe of additional basentees the Coleman team could hope to have included. In the end, the three judges allowed about 350 additional absentees to be counted. The panel also did nothing about the hundreds, possibly thousands, of absentees that have already been legally included, yet are now 'illegal' according to the panel's own ex-post definition."

The Wall Street Journal editorial, April 18, 2009 concerning the Franken Coleman decision in the Minnesota U.S. Senate race of 2008.

Low-Carb Diets Better Than Low-Fat Diets at Preventing Diabetes:

Such a low-carb diet is similar to a healthy Atkins diet, meaning one which does not include large amounts of animal fat and animal protein, Halton said.

"When focusing on vegetable sources of fat and protein, this version of Atkins is similar to a low-glycemic Mediterranean diet," he said.

Another step in the ultimate vindications of Atkins and South Beach, although they don't back up the allegation about animal fat. How much, exactly, should be included? My guess: They don't know. They're hedging their bets by emphasizing veggies. I'm OK with that -- I eat tons of veggies. But I eat a lot of meat, too.

According to the article, though, doctors have been recommending low-fat diets to diabetics:

The findings, Halton added, were a bit surprising in that most doctors and nutritionists recommend a low-fat diet to prevent type 2 diabetes. "This study showed that a low-fat diet didn't really prevent type 2 diabetes in our cohort when compared to a low-carb diet. I was also surprised that total carbohydrate consumption was associated with type 2 diabetes, and that the relative risk for the glycemic load was so high."

As for the heart disease, your example shows that cholesterol isn't the demon it's cracked up to be. Gary Taubes' "Good Calories, Bad Calories," is excellent at showing just how fatally in lock-step the nutrition and medical establishments are on that score.

As many diabetics are overweight, that's not really surprising. My understanding of the newer diets led me to believe the focus was on low carbs more than high fat, South Beach especially. Other than Atkins, do any of them really push a high fat diet (meaning high saturated fats).

Do you mean "new diets" for diabetics? I'm not sure the presciption for diabetics has changed much over the years, but I'm not sure.

Atkins is accused of "pushing" a high-fat diet because it doesn't warn against such a diet (historically, Atkins played up the idea of eating fat because the nutrition culture was so adamantly opposed to fat; but later editions of his book emphasized vegetables). South Beach plays up its contrast with Atkins by encouraging less saturated fat. (I don't buy into this idea, but I'm not grievously offended by it).

As many diabetics are overweight, that's not really surprising. My understanding of the newer diets led me to believe the focus was on low carbs more than high fat, South Beach especially. Other than Atkins, do any of them really push a high fat diet (meaning high saturated fats).

Sometimes it is the other way around. Obesity and maintaining obesity begats diabetes.

The government is about to officially recommend that pregnant women consume at least 12 oz. of fish per week! And no mention of limits on "high-mercury" fish, as far as I can tell from this article.

I should be happy to see sensible nutrition vindicated once again, but I get angry over the government's failings in this area. How many babies (and adults) have suffered because of the wrong-headed information given on the "authority" of the U.S. government these past several years?

Irritating.

And people wonder why I recommend Atkins, which has been pointing this out for years. Sheesh.

FDA Draft Report Urges Consumption of Fish, Despite Mercury Contamination

The Food and Drug Administration is urging the government to amend its advisory that women and children should limit how much fish they eat, saying that the benefits of seafood outweigh the health risks and that most people should eat more fish, even if it contains mercury.

If approved by the White House, the FDA's position would reverse the government's current policy that certain groups -- women of childbearing years, pregnant women, nursing mothers, infants and children -- can be harmed by the mercury in fish and should limit their consumption.

The FDA's recommendations have alarmed scientists at the Environmental Protection Agency, who in internal memos criticized them as "scientifically flawed and inadequate" and said they fell short of the "scientific rigor routinely demonstrated by EPA."

The FDA sent its draft report, a copy of which was obtained by The Washington Post, to the White House Office of Management and Budget as part of the FDA's effort to update the existing health advisory. The report argued that nutrients in fish, including omega-3 fatty acids, selenium and other minerals could boost a child's IQ by three points.

The greatest benefits, the FDA report said, would come from eating more than 12 ounces of fish a week, which is the current limit advised for pregnant women, women of childbearing age, nursing mothers and young children.

So, there you go. Feel lied to? I do. I should feel happy. Instead, I want to sue somebody. But my IQ's too low to know how to proceed. My mom should've eaten more fish.