Sign in to follow this  
Christian

The Abstinence Teacher, by Tom Perotta

I'm on disc 2 of the audiobook, read by Campbell Scott. I love it, but it's still early. I was going to link to a dismissive audio review that I thought was on NPR, but I can't find it now. Must've been somewhere else on the Web.

However, here's one more interview with the author. It's quite good, and the interviewer mixes things up in the comments as well, which are mostly thoughtful.

Edited by Christian

I'm on disc 2 of the audiobook, read by Campbell Scott. I love it, but it's still early. I was going to link to a dismissive audio review that I thought was on NPR, but I can't find it now. Must've been somewhere else on the Web.

However, here's one more interview with the author. It's quite good, and the interviewer mixes things up in the comments as well, which are mostly thoughtful.

I'm pretty sure the review I heard on NPR Books was dismissive. Maybe I'm imagining things.

I'm pretty sure the review I heard on NPR Books was dismissive. Maybe I'm imagining things.

I searched on the author's name at NPR.org and got an audio feature, but not a review.

Duh! I just found the review.

Edited by Christian

Here's what I wrote over at Goodreads:

Perceptive, funny, and painful -- a great picture of Evangelical life from a professed outsider. (I should know, being an Evangelical myself.) NPR dismissed this book in a short review; I can't figure out the hostility. It's insightful and appropriately shaded.

--I appear to be in the minority. Lots of mildly disappointed readers of The Abstinence Teacher over there.

I'm no Perotta expert, but this was well worth a read. In fact, I can't think of a better literary look at Evangelicalism and its struggles. What am I missing? It won't change my life, but I think it does a service to Christians by portraying their struggles honestly -- more honestly than the Christian fiction I've read.

Edited by Christian

Ha! Back in Bible school, we always used to say we were looking for a "Christian nympho" to marry.

One of the newspapers I write for, BC Christian News, used to be called Christian Info, and, um, certain people had fun with that name.

Perotta mentions his research for this book in a new Slate article, <a href="http://www.slate.com/id/2200814/" target="_blank">"The Sexy Puritan"</a>. Warning: The article includes a vivid, ummm, "mission" statement of a group called "Christian Nymphos." Never heard of it.

Ha! Back in Bible school, we always used to say we were looking for a "Christian nympho" to marry.

One of the newspapers I write for, <i>BC Christian News</i>, used to be called <i>Christian Info</i>, and, um, certain people had fun with that name.

Matt Labash writes on Christian sex ed, and mentions the Christian Nymphos.

Will the movie adaptation star Steve Carell and Sandra Bullock? Perotta is still listed as the adapter of his own novel, but we'll see.

Carell is a good actor, but he has a persona he'll have to overcome to get the protagonist right.