Sign in to follow this  
Overstreet

Calvin's Festival of Faith and Writing 2008

I'm hoping to be there. Road trip!

Hm. I've been meaning to go to the Festival of Faith and Writing for a while now. I should really get on that while I'm still a student! :)

As well, it looks like one of my English professors, Hugh Cook, is going to be speaking at the one next year. Our school is premiering the play adaptation of his book, Home in Alfalfa, at the end of November, so we're really excited for him. And it'd be fun to go see him there.

I'm hoping to make it up there for this. When I was looking over the list of announced speakers, I saw that Jon Sweeney, author of "Born Again and Again, Surprising Gifts of a Fundamentalist Childhood" would be there, so I ordered a copy of his book and read it on a flight home Monday. I'm going to try to read the books of a couple other speakers before April.

Don't forget that our own Jeffrey will be there.

I just found out today that I'm the MAIN staff chaperone for the students from my college. Not that big of a deal, but it feels weird, since I'm only like -- what -- three years older than some of them. We have a solid group going, and I'm excited about the experience for all of us.

So, it's getting close.

I guess I'll be looking for Jason, Jim, Stephen, and Aralyn.

Anybody else?

Alan? Any chance you'll be there?

Edited by Overstreet

I'm going to be there with a group from college. I'm looking forward to it. :)

CherylR

I can't really attend at all, but GR isn't that far away. If an A&F dinner together were planned or something, I just might be able to make it for that.

I can't really attend at all, but GR isn't that far away. If an A&F dinner together were planned or something, I just might be able to make it for that.

Rich, what night would work best for you if we get an A&F dinner together? Saturday? I'd love a chance to sit down and talk with you.

Edited by Stephen Lamb

If we could have dinner on Thursday, before the fest gets going, that would be ideal.

Wow... due to the cancellation of a panel discussion, it looks like I'll be doing two different lectures at the Calvin event! One will be on faith and film (yes, Nate... THAT presentation), and the other will be on fantasy and fairy tales.

Friday, April 18, 1:45-2:45 p.m.: "The Eagles are Coming!"

Saturday, April 19, 10:00-11:00 a.m.: "Gradually Bedazzled"

Rich, what night would work best for you if we get an A&F dinner together? Saturday? I'd love a chance to sit down and talk with you.

I'm not sure that there would be much of a difference. If we could line it up early, I could switch days off or take a personal day. Otherwise, I'd be off work at 3:00pm, or 2:00 by negotiation, and "run right over" from the Detroit area. This would be worth it.

AAUUUGGH! Thursday is REAL bad. I'm cooking the Alpha Course dinner at church.

Edited by Rich Kennedy

I have tickets to the Caedmon's Call show as well, but I will be able to meet for dinner before that on Thursday evening, or any other evening of the conference.

And that will be cool to see two Jeffrey Overstreet lectures!

I highly doubt I'll be able to do dinner on Friday or Saturday. My publisher is setting up get-togethers, and I'm supposed to meet with folks from Image, and my agent will be visiting as well. So... maybe breakfast on Friday? A cup of coffee on Saturday?

I can't guarantee anything because I am SO BROKE, (and that's what happens when you actually live in West Michigan) but I'd like to know where you are planning to meet tomorrow night just to see if I can make it.

I highly doubt I'll be able to do dinner on Friday or Saturday. My publisher is setting up get-togethers, and I'm supposed to meet with folks from Image, and my agent will be visiting as well. So... maybe breakfast on Friday? A cup of coffee on Saturday?

An official A&F meetup without Jeffrey would not be an official meetup. I stayed here at A&F because I'd read Jeffrey and Peter in Books & Culture and thought it too cool to walk away from the opportunity to converse with them. I certainly am not the only one drawn here by Jeffrey. So, I'd suggest that Thursday night it is. OTOH, hanging out together can become a goal in and of itself. There could easily be other opportunities during this event. Let's see how Thursday night works for all of those actually attending this conference and then see what plays out.

I'm in for anything, but any A&F meet-ups might find me dragging half of a dozen college students along. (Future recruits for the board?) Thursday night could tentatively work. I'm not going to either concert.

If you want to hear some great music, I highly recommend the Caedmon's concert. I think their newest album, Overdressed, is their best (disclaimer: I am biased because most of the songs were co-written by Andrew Osenga and Randall Goodgame, friends and neighbors of mine). I saw that Derek Webb is also giving a talk during the conference sometime.

Edited by Stephen Lamb

Oh, and I won't have a car. So someone will need to play chauffeur...