Sign in to follow this  
Overstreet

Dune

I can't believe there's no thread on Dune.

It's only one of the GREATEST contributions to sci-fi/fantasy ever composed.

And the David Lynch film is... well... it's something, that's for sure. Not sure what, but it's something. I'm actually a fan, even though I tend to think of it as a different entity than Herbert's novel. The film has some pretty unforgettable scenes.... And I'm nostalgic about it: It was my introduction to Patrick Stewart, and Francesca Annis, and Grima Wormtongue (I mean, Brad Dourif)...

The miniseries has won some praise here and there.

And now... rumors of another big screen adaptation.

I need to pick this up and read it again soon, simply because I miss that world. I love the first book, like the second, love the third, and need to revisit the fourth now that I'm old enough to appreciate it.

So... any fans around here? Of any particular manifestation of the story?

Who would be in your dream cast for Dune?

Edited by Jeffrey Overstreet

Duncan Idaho - Christian Bale

Paul Atredes - Scott Mechlowicz

Leto Atredes - Ben Kingsley

Lady Jessica - Michelle Pfeiffer

Thufir Hawat - Peter O' Toole

Stilgar - Alan Arkin

The admin over at the dunenovels.com message board (the Byron referred to at AICN) has been hinting at this for a while now. I hope it works out.

I'm a fan of the Lynch movie, myself, even though it's pretty bad in spots, due to the almost neccessary truncation of the middle section (case in point: the voiceover saying "Paul and Chani's love grew"--then on to the fighting).The production design and (most of) the casting is perfect; they'll be hard-pressed to find a better Lady Jessica than Francesca Annis, though Alice Krige did a good job as an older Jessica in the "Children" mini. And even if the ending is not true-to-form, it's true-to-feel, so I'm fine with it. The miniseries was good for the last two hours, but before that, meh. Not as dense or complex as Lynch's effort, even with all the plot points pretty much intact. (I should note here that I've not read the books--am going through them now, and find that the Lynch movie hews closest to my imaginings than the mini).

Dream cast: Someone mentioned over at dunennovels that James McAvoy, for all that he played Leto II in "Children," would be ideal for Paul--and I find myself agreeing, more or less.

The Baron from the mini could come back as far as I'm concerned-- but John Goodman would be another choice.

YES to O'Toole as Hawat.

I kinda wish Alec Guiness were alive and kicking to play Stilgar--I picture his Lawrence of Arabia character. Someone with that kind of gravitas would be nice.

Christopher Lee as Shaddam IV.

Paris Hilton as Irulan :blink:

Edited by NBooth

Peter Berg to direct..

Berg added that David Lynch's previous movie "left the door wide open for a remake."

:lol:

Edit: Hmm. After posting that, it didn't seem to send it to the top of the stack, or indicate outside of the thread that there was a new post. Curious, that.

Edited by NBooth

I was reading some of the discussion going on over at IMDb, and the Dune fan base does not seem too pleased with the announcement of Peter Berg as director. While most of the talk is mainly just whining - and I can understand some of it, Berg hasn't done anything up to this point that remotely shows he has the artistic vision to bring this off - there was one person who suggested an interesting alternate for director... Terrence Malick. Now that's a version I'd be tempted to see.

Berg to direct 'Dune' for Paramount

Peter Berg is attached to direct a bigscreen adaptation of Frank Herbert's classic sci-fi novel "Dune" for Paramount Pictures.

Kevin Misher, who spent the past year obtaining the book rights from the Herbert estate, will produce via his Par-based shingle. . . .

The project is out to writers, with the producers looking for a faithful adaptation of the Hugo- and Nebula Award-winning book. The filmmakers consider its theme of finite ecological resources particularly timely. . . .

Variety, March 17

Josh Zetumer in talks for 'Dune'

We have wormsign.

Josh Zetumer is in negotiations to pen the latest incarnation of "Dune," Frank Herbert's sprawling sci-fi epic, for Paramount Pictures. . . .

Kevin Misher is producing the new version through his Paramount-based Misher Films. Herbert's son Brian and Kevin J. Anderson, who have co-written several additional "Dune" novels, will co-produce. Peter Berg is attached to direct. . . .

No one involved would comment on Zetumer's take on the "Dune" saga. The writer, repped by UTA and Management 360, also has "Villain" at 2929 Prods. and "The Infiltrator" set up at Warner Bros. He most recently did production work on the next Bond film, "Quantum of Solace."

Hollywood Reporter, June 6

- - -

Wait a minute, Kevin J. Anderson is co-producing this? I've never had any connection to this franchise, but already I feel sad for the fans. That man's Star Wars novels were so dumb they almost singlehandedly persuaded me not to bother keeping up with those books.

Oh dear. Anderson co-wrote the Dune prequels and sequels with Brian Herbert. I've not read them, but they've got a pretty bad reputation among fans of the originals. Inane, unoriginal, poorly written, all that.

I was never able to get through the book. Herbert's prose bugged me too much. But I know enough about DUNE to know that the characters and world Herbert created are fairly interesting. For this reason, I've always wanted to see a very fine cinematic adaptation. I'm not overly impressed by any of the adaptations to date (I rather wish Jodorowsky could have made his version, which sounded phenomenally interesting; I mean, who wouldn't have wanted to see production designs by H. R. Giger and Salvador Dali starring as the Emperor?), but I was doubtful that Peter Berg was the man to bring it all together.

Devin at CHUD.com speculates that this project is going to be dead for a while, given the state of the economy and the fact that DUNE will ultimately be an expensive and very risky venture for a studio to finance. I wager he's right.

Well, Berg's exit opens the door to a fanboy suggestion that was made on an IMDb post over a year ago - let Terrence Malick have a go at it.

Also, here's an interesting article by Jodorowsky* on his failed Dune project.

*I saw this link somewhere recently, but couldn't remember if it was on an A&F thread. My apologies if this is a repeat link.

Well, Berg's exit opens the door to a fanboy suggestion that was made on an IMDb post over a year ago - let Terrence Malick have a go at it.

Hmm. I could see it, but I doubt they'll go with someone so artsy. The studio needs a real commercial success. Apparently, Paramount is looking towards Neill Blomkamp (DISTRICT 9) and Neill Marshall (THE DESCENT).

It's Pierre Morel.

Paramount has found a new director for its remake of the sci-fi classic Dune, after Peter Berg dropped off the project in October. The studio has hired Taken helmer Pierre Morel to oversee the movie. Paramount is currently looking for a new writer to incorporate Morel’s vision of the project into the original draft by Quantum of Solace scribe Josh Zetumer. Morel plans to make a very faithful adaptation of the 1965 book by Frank Herbert. The movie is a high priority for Paramount’s production chief Adam Goodman. Kevin Misher and Richard Rubinstein are producing.

That Morel directed Taken, tells me nothing, not having seen it. But Liam Neeson would make an awesome Leto I (of course, he would be a fairly predictable choice, too).

Edited by NBooth

Morel Climbs Aboard "Dune"

Paramount Pictures has set Pierre Morel to direct “Dune,” the adaptation of Frank Herbert’s 1965 sci-fi classic novel.

Morel, who last directed the action hit “Taken,” has signed a deal with the studio and will work toward getting the script right. Pic is one of the biggest priorities on the slate of Par Motion Picture Group prexy Adam Goodman.

Kevin Misher’s Misher Films will produce with New Amsterdam’s Richard Rubenstein, who produced the telepic “Dune” and the sequel “Children of Dune.” . . .

Variety, January 4

Morel says he's scrapping Berg's treatment. And he wants it to be 3D.

"We're starting from scratch," Morel said. "Peter had an approach which was not mine at all, and we're starting over again. I don't think we're going to keep any elements of the Peter Berg script." The director wasn't ready to share who his writing partner(s) might be, but he did promise that a deal will be "official" next week.

Well, the work done under Berg may have been scrapped, but the concept art produced for it is now online. Interesting glimpse of what might have been.

Trouble in the Duniverse?

The estate might not grant Paramount an extension. Meanwhile, the article says they're shopping directors:

It appears that Morel has stepped off the project. He'll be an exec producer, though Rubinstein -- who said the estate and studio have to be in agreement on a director -- likes Morel for the job.

Paramount Ends 4-Year Attempt To Turn Frank Herbert's 'Dune' Into Film Franchise

EXCLUSIVE: Paramount has turned loose the giant worm, and everything else that was part of the seminal Frank Herbert science fiction novel series Dune. The studio’s four-year attempt to make a movie out of the franchise has fallen by the wayside. Paramount and the rights holders came to a parting of the ways as the rights lapsed. “Paramount’s option has expired and we couldn’t reach an agreement,” said Richard P. Rubinstein, who controls the rights to what is considered the biggest-selling science fiction book ever. “I’m going to look at my options, and whether I wind up taking the script we developed in turnaround, or start over, I’m not sure yet.” . . .

Mike Fleming, Deadline.com, March 22

Alejandro Jodorowsky's 'Dune' Will Finally Hit Screens (Cannes)

Frank Herbert’s Dune has long bewitched filmmakers and despite manyattempts, David Lynch’s unsatisfying 1984 adaptation is the only one that made it to the screen.

Ten years earlier, however, Chilean-born filmmaker Alejandro Jodorowsky tried to tackle the novel and it’s that attempt that is the centre of a documentary by Frank Pavich, the director of the 1999 music documentary N.Y.H.C.

Titled Jodorowsky’s Dune, the movie is chronicling the two year effort by Jodorowsky and his team of relative unknown artists, artists then went on to become influencers in the sci-fi genre. Among the team were H.R. Giger, who designed the alien in Alien, Dan O’Bannon, who wrote Alien and Total Recall, French artist Jean “Moebius” Giraud, who worked on The Empire Strikes Back, Tron and The Fifth Element, and Chris Foss, who worked on Alien and Superman. . . .

Hollywood Reporter, May 12

Wow, that sounds fascinating. It makes me want to see Lynch's dune in prep for the new doc for the first time in decades. Maybe even skim the book...