Sign in to follow this  
Josh Hurst

Sixpence is back!

Ouch. And right after some of their finest work. This is a serious loss, far greater than those who have only heard the hit singles will realize. Those guys were musicians first and foremost, and an example for any aspiring Christian singer/songwriter.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

Yeah, they penned some great songs. I never really felt like they found a great producer, but they will certainly be missed.

The first song trilogy on their self-titled album is one of the all-time great album openers.

Partner in Cahoots

www.cahootsmag.com

What was the reason for the breakup? Is Leigh making a solo record? Spending time at home with her family?

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

Here's Leigh's website journal entry from October 2003.

(So I take it she's had the baby for a couple of months now. Maybe she decided to stay home and be a mom.)

Leigh's Journal

October 2003 Journal Entry October 2003

It's hard to say exactly why I have'nt done another entry in all this time. I'm retarded? No, that would be a good reason, but it's not true. But I do apologize for not keeping posts up there to update those who are interested in my goings on. For a while we were out promoting the record pretty hard, that turned into a few tours and we did some summer shows and now here we are...just about ready to start a new record. I love Divine Discontent so much and feel so proud of it and glad we endured to get past those rough years to see that it was heard. Thanks so much to those long time supporters that waited and waited and waited with us.

Well I have some pretty big news. I am entering my seventh month of pregnancy this week. If you've seen any of our recent shows you probably already know about the baby whom I've dubbed (for now) \"Mr. Baby\". I'm so very much in love with him already, I've already warned him that I may have to bite him: ) It's driving me nuts that he's so close and I can't see him. Well, we actually got to see him once during the ultrasound. Mark (my husband), and I are so thrilled that he's coming. I can wake him or put him to sleep with certain songs I sing to him. Mark picked up a cd that Jason Faulkner did of instrumantal versions of Beatles songs. It's for children and Mr. Baby seems to atleast be intersted, because his movements become pretty ferocious when we play it for him. I hope we're not scaring him. He is due around January 10th, but it sure would be nice to get him a little early. I guess we have to wait and see on that one. My dogs (Tom and Gus) are throwing a fit over something and I should go investigate...I thank you for being interseted enough in the band to read this. Hope it's not too boring. I'll write more soon...Promise!

Leigh

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

Here are some details:

http://www.cmcentral.com/news/1905.html

Sixpence None the Richer Breaking Up?  

The March issue of CCM Magazine is reporting that the multiple Dove Award winning, Grammy nominated group, Sixpence None the Richer, is calling it quits. In a published letter from founding member Matt Slocum, the group says that after ten years they are closing their doors. They talk about their experiences, discuss future plans (including what will probably be their final album from Word Records) and, thank everyone for their support over the years.

More on this story as it develops. For the full scoop pick up the March 2004 issue of CCM Magazine.

http://www.tollbooth.org/news/feb16.html

Sixpence Calls it Quits

Sixpence None the Richer announced in the lastest CCM magazine that they are calling it quits. Leigh will stay home to enjoy motherhood and Matt wants to travel the world. There will be a final release of material from different compilations and b-sides from Divine Discontent.

I've followed the band since 1995's "This Beautiful Mess". They've had 3 great albums ("Fatherless..." was a good debut, but nowhere near the power of the next 3 albums) and it's going to be tough to not hear from them ever again. Perhaps Matt will release something later on in some form - his songwriting influenced me greatly as a musician.

I've not cared to investigate much self-titled "christian" popular music, but I always liked these guys. A lot. I'll miss them too.

Nice sig, there, DGibFen.

"During the contest trial, the Coleman team presented evidence of a further 6500 absentees that it felt deserved to be included under the process that had produced the prior 933 [submitted by Franken, rk]. The three judges finally defined what constituted a 'legal' absentee ballot. Countable ballots, for instance, had to contain the signature of the voter, complete registration information, and proper witness credentials.

But the panel only applied the standards going forward, severely reducing the universe of additional basentees the Coleman team could hope to have included. In the end, the three judges allowed about 350 additional absentees to be counted. The panel also did nothing about the hundreds, possibly thousands, of absentees that have already been legally included, yet are now 'illegal' according to the panel's own ex-post definition."

The Wall Street Journal editorial, April 18, 2009 concerning the Franken Coleman decision in the Minnesota U.S. Senate race of 2008.

What a big disappointment! Sixpence is my favorite band, and their songs are uniformly beautifully written, arranged and performed. Theirs are among the few albums that I can get lost in.

And I'll never forget Leigh's appearance on the Letterman show about 5-6 years ago...one of my favorite TV moments, as she explained the meaning of the band's name (from a CS Lewis quote). She was nervous and shy and honest, and Letterman was quite taken with her.

"Could we ever know each other in the slightest without the arts?"

« Nous connaîtrions-nous seulement un peu nous-mêmes, sans les arts? »

Quoted on Canada's $20 bill; from Gabrielle Roy's novel La montagne secrète. The English translation, The Hidden Mountain, is by Harry L. Binsse.

And I'll never forget Leigh's appearance on the Letterman show about 5-6 years ago...one of my favorite TV moments, as she explained the meaning of the band's name (from a CS Lewis quote). She was nervous and shy and honest, and Letterman was quite taken with her.

So taken that he actually made some sort of off-the-cuff comment about going back to her hotel room that night. He then apologized profusely about what he said. She did make quite an impact on him that night. Truly a moment of salt and light.

More on the breakup at Billboard.com

Hmm... a collection of B-sides is alright... but a live DVD would really hit the spot.

Yes! Hopefully with performances from many of the different incarnations of the band.

Sixpense and Kings X are the only two bands that I listened to in high school that I still enjoy. This really saddens me that now only one of my two old friends is still alive.

I also picked up on Sixpense with This Beautiful Mess, stuck with them through their label headaches, and loved the change of direction they took with their Squint release. Musicians indeed - Leigh is probably one of my top 3 favorite female vocalists and Slocum's lyrics and arrangements are some of the best in pop music. Man, I'll miss these guys.

Scott -- 2nd Story -- Twitter

(There are quite a few Sixpence threads, so I didn't know which one to put this in.)

A friend of mine talked to Leigh Nash last night at a show here in Nashville, and Leigh said that Sixpence is getting back together. I don't know if any details have been announced yet.

Leigh confirms the rumors on her myspace blog:

We [Matt & Leigh] were missing each other and the gift that I believe God gave us- I knew before that the two of us were more powerful than one of us alone, but it was becoming more obvious as time ticked by. We realized we were on the same page and decided to make Sixpence None the Richer records for the next 2,000 to 3,000 years!!!! Seriously- as long as we can: ) We are in the middle of making an EP right now that will be available soon! We also have a tour planned beginning in April. Yay!!! These things started happening almost immediately after we decided to start up the engines again. Amazing! I am so thankful and excited for the future. There is a Sixpence myspace page in the works and many details to come about the tour, EP etc very soon...

I mentioned to Jeffrey when I heard the news that I had heard something about Kate York being involved somehow. Kate has played several shows around town with Leigh, and I knew they were good friends. Here is what she just posted on her myspace page:

TOUR with SIXPENCE NONE THE RICHER

my subject line might be misleading in a few ways. first of all, sixpence HAS gotten back together..which is great news in and of itself. secondly, i will be touring with them, but not as an opener. i'll actually be playing guitar and singing back-up for leigh. this time around they really wanted to have another female in the band for harmonies, so i just ended up with the job. we're about to embark on a 7 week tour which is sponsored by the One Campaign. Andy Davis and Charlie Peacock will also be on the bill. We're basically going all over the country, so it should be quite an adventure. it will be nice to be able to tour in a bus which is somehing i've never gotten to do.

I just found out last night that Leigh Nash got a divorce a while back (and her husband was one of the guys from PFR, no?).

I'm not sure what to make of that. Should it be ignored? Should it be acknowledged? I have this nagging sense that it happens within the CCM industry a little more often than it should (e.g. three of the four Lost Dogs, Jaci Velasquez, Amy Grant, etc.), but I definitely don't want to get judgmental about other people's relationships; sufficient unto my own marriage is the evil thereof, and all that.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

My first reaction is to say that it's a matter for her home church to deal with, and not really the business of her fans... but I wonder if I'd feel the same way were I the parent of a young girl who looked up to people like Nash? (Not that I'm saying it was her fault, or that she was necessarily in the wrong...)

Partner in Cahoots

www.cahootsmag.com

Josh Hurst wrote:

: My first reaction is to say that it's a matter for her home church to deal with, and not really the business of her fans...

It's kind of difficult to make that argument when one is the sort of artist who infuses his or her real-life experiences into his or her music, though. (During the Amy Grant affair, I could not help but think that she had invited fan scrutiny into her personal life by calling all her fans her "friends", or by making her home -- the loft, etc. -- a big part of her public musical persona, etc. If she made the marriage the business of the fans, then she made the divorce the business of the fans. Obviously, Leigh Nash hasn't blurred the public-private line anywhere close to THAT degree, but still, there have been autobiographical elements in Sixpence's music before, no?)

And in this particular context, the news that her band (which may or may not consist of just her plus Slocum; are other former Sixpencers going to be part of the new line-up, too?) is getting back together only months after her marriage broke up cannot help but give one pause, too. Not sure what KIND of pause, but still.

And I don't even raise the issue here to condemn it, necessarily. I just think it's the sort of thing that needs to be mentioned, so that we're not all either ignorant of it or keeping awkwardly quiet about it. Over the Rhine dedicated an entire album to the salvation of THEIR marriage, Sam Phillips devoted an entire album to the dissolution of HER marriage, and Nash -- who has been associated with both artists in one way or another -- might very well find her own situation reflected somehow in the new album.

At the very least, it's hard to imagine that fans and critics won't take this into account when they process the new album ...

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.