Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Greg P

Getting Healthy

177 posts in this topic

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't have a Facebook page so I think I'm safe on that final point. :)

Hey Phil...Awesome! 4 pounds in one week is fantastic! You frankly shouldnt expect more than that-- and be prepared to see more regular drops of 1-2 lbs per week. Seeing your age on the profile and doing a little math, you want to maintain a heart rate in your cardio between 122 - 160, for ideally 30+ mins. Again, make sure you are maintaining that level of intensity on the elliptical for at least 20-30mins.

I am down to 230, which is around 11 pounds from where I started, so I am moderately happy about those results. I am not losing the weight as fast as I thought I would, but I am not too discouraged about it...yet. I am confused about something though and I thought I would turn to some people with much more experience in this area:

I was doing some reading for weight loss and calorie counting and the information I found was confusing: According to multiple formulas I should be taking in around 2,641 calories a day to lose weight - that is 650more than I am eating right now. Here is one site that I found and the formula that use - Link That is actually my results after plugging in all of my stats.

I don't know what to make of this. Am I not eating enough? I have heard that your body can start to slow down the metabolism if you don't eat enough and that will make it harder to lose weight. Could that be why I am not losing as much as I would like? I don't know. Any help?

First of all, congratulations on your well fought fight.

In my experience, (and many MANY people's experiences), the more you lose, the harder it will be to lose. That's why those "final ten pounds" are such a killer. Your body has adjusted to your changes in diet, and has readjusted itself internally.

In those cases, you may want to do one of two things: either shake up your exercise routine (or aim to eat even less, even if you fast a day a week), or maintain your current weight for about two months, and start again.

But don't lose heart. It can be done. Mastering this and you master self-control.

Thanks for the quick response. Here is what I am thinking about my weight loss so far: I am overweight enough that the I figured the first 20 pounds or so would come off pretty quickly once I started exercising and eathing better. Thing is, the weight loss has been much slower than what I hoped. I'm losing about 1 pound a week which is pretty good, but if it gets much harder than this then I'm not sure how I will lose weight once I get past the initial phase. I need to lose quite a bit more weight to get to a healthy number for my body type/frame. Probably at least another 40-50 pounds.

Hi Phil...

Are you still doing the elliptical? Are you doing anything unique or specific with your elliptical program, or are you just putting the time in?

If you haven't discovered HIIT* yet, you may want to look into it (best to do a google search on youtube for this).

A combination of HIIT and one-day a week strength training (done as High Intensity, a variation of HIIT), and you can maximize your workout.

Nick

* HIIT: high intensity interval training.

Thanks for the info on HIIT. I'm checking it out right now and plan on trying it this evening.

I don't count calories, but in my experience as a low-carber, it's not at all unusual for weight to come off once you start eating more. Bodies react differently, gong into self-preservation mode if input drops below a certain level (I think this level is different for each individual).

I'd try eating more -- more good stuff, of course; not more junk -- and see what happens.

Thanks for the info on HIIT. I'm checking it out right now and plan on trying it this evening.

One bit of warning about this. You're going to want to have a special Interval Timer (it's a MAJOR HASSLE doing HIIT without a special watch that counts down two separate times on constant rotation).

My first timer I got thru Amazon.com for about 20 bucks, but then I didn't realize that my digital sportswatch had interval timing as one of its functions. Perhaps a local Sports Authority will have one of these--you may want to call in and ask.

This is one of those purchases that is utterly mandatory and worthwhile.

Nick

Weight is an easily used but not very useful measure of progress. While i'd recommend using raw power as a measure of improvement, its probably more useful to do a resting HR measure and % body fat. If you're excercising, you're likely trading some fat for muscle.

Dont lose heart Phil!!! As i mentioned earlier, 1-2 pounds a week is fantastic. Just commit to consistency and realistic goals and you will find the results you're looking for. It sounds like you're doing all the right things, just give it more time.

Quick update: I'm down to 227.4 lbs.

I tried the HIIT technique some but I am probably not doing it correctly because I don't feel like it's doing more for my workout. I will continue to tweak things as I go just to keep things interesting.

Hey, Phill... Just revisited this thread and saw your last post from Sept. Hope you're still making progress!

I've been training hard since the middle of November for a marathon on Jan. 31st. Unfortunately because of our unseasonably warm December, I'm a little behind the curve. Despite temps in the mid-80's, I was able to run a pair of 12-mile runs last week (Mon. & Thurs),interspersed with three smaller, four and five-mile runs (sun, tues, wed). The first long run took me just under two hours. The second, on Thursday, I nailed in 1:40. This week I'm trying to squeeze in a 15-mile run and some smaller ones around the busy holiday schedule. We'll see how that goes. My goal is to be able to run a 4:20 marathon in January.

I have a new benchpress tip I learned today. Don't use your mouth to stop the bar. Unless you like stitches.

I have a new benchpress tip I learned today. Don't use your mouth to stop the bar. Unless you like stitches.

Sorry to laugh, but dude that's hee-larious. :lol: Hope at least that all your teeth are still there!

I had a similar, painful lesson not long ago: If you feel searing pain in your outer calf while running a marathon, stop immediately. Continuing to run on a stress fracture will cause more damage and earn you five weeks of painful hobbling.

Edited by Greg P

No, its funny. My spotter is catching more crap than me (deservedly so). But all the teeth are intact. I have to drink with a straw while my lip heals up, but other than that, and wounded pride, not too bad.

No, its funny. My spotter is catching more crap than me (deservedly so). But all the teeth are intact. I have to drink with a straw while my lip heals up, but other than that, and wounded pride, not too bad.

Ouch! Glad the teeth are intact.

Glad to see that this thread has not died. I entered another bodybuilding contest in July, 2009. I have one coming up (in Detroit) on March 27, so I'm getting pretty lean right about now.

As a warmup, I entered a "Masters Challenge" sponsored by one of the bodybuilding websites, and held during the Arnold Expo last Friday, in Columbus, Ohio. There ended up being only two of us competing, though initially seven people had committed to do it.

The video is amusing, because the MC was like a carnival barker. He liked to talk a lot, so the actual posing doesn't begin until about 3:00 minutes into the video. I'm on the right, in light blue trunks.

Ouch! Glad the teeth are intact.

Glad to see that this thread has not died. I entered another bodybuilding contest in July, 2009. I have one coming up (in Detroit) on March 27, so I'm getting pretty lean right about now.

As a warmup, I entered a "Masters Challenge" sponsored by one of the bodybuilding websites, and held during the Arnold Expo last Friday, in Columbus, Ohio. There ended up being only two of us competing, though initially seven people had committed to do it.

The video is amusing, because the MC was like a carnival barker. He liked to talk a lot, so the actual posing doesn't begin until about 3:00 minutes into the video. I'm on the right, in light blue trunks.

I wonder if I saw you, ABP. Maybe. The Arnold Classic is my favorite time in Columbus, mainly because there are thousands of people running around looking like The Incredible Hulk (who was really there! I saw him!), drinking whey shakes and bench pressing Volkswagens and whatnot. Good times.

I wonder if I saw you, ABP. Maybe. The Arnold Classic is my favorite time in Columbus, mainly because there are thousands of people running around looking like The Incredible Hulk (who was really there! I saw him!), drinking whey shakes and bench pressing Volkswagens and whatnot. Good times.

It's quite possible. I saw so many people.

I tell people that the Arnold is the best $10 of people-watching anywhere on the planet. Or, actually, free ... if you just want to sit outside the doors in the hallway and gawk.

Every summer in South Florida the desire to run or engage in outdoor activities of any kind, hits rock bottom for me. I stopped running in May and simultaneously began an interest in exotic beers. This resulted in a lousy formula for my waistline. The St. Bernardus and Golden Monkey intake helped me bulk back up to an unpleasant 210lbs and I started having flashbacks of my flabby self circa early 2007. My pants and jeans all became snug again and every shirt I had started getting that familiar tautness in the gut. Lethargy and insomnia started creeping back on me as well.

Beginning in August, fed up with my semi-backsliding, I totally eliminated beer-drinking from my routine, began a slightly modified diet of high protein/restrained carb meals and started running again. It was a tough road for me this time, with so many life-issues going on around me, but my mind and body definitely needed the restored discipline.

I'm back down to 180-185 lbs and feeling great. With the lowered weight and better weather, running is a joy now and my old size 32-waist jeans fit nicely once again. I bought my first medium shirt in decades... Training for another full marathon at the end of January. Hopefully with the more lean build and better training, I can make it thru this next one without fracturing anything!

Edited by Greg P

Way to go, Greg! I'm at 190, have been running a bit on the treadmill for the first time in my life, trying to build up some stamina and see if I can actually develop a running habit (it's not a hard goal, so it'll probably never happen; still, it's a breakthrough that I'm even trying).

The diet is key -- we've had this conversation before, probably in this thread, right?

I need to stop eating Halloween candy. And other sweets. And loads of bread.

Other than that, yup, I'm low-carb all the way. :) But seriously, I feel SO much better when I eat correctly. And exercise has benefits above and beyond weight loss.

Also inspiring, in a negative way: Looking at myself in the mirror today at the optometrist's, while being fitted for glasses, and noticing that the line between my chin and neck is even more absent than usual. The weight always shows in my face first; and it disappears there first when I watch what I eat.

Edited by Christian

Good for you, Christian. For me, the secret to sticking to the treadmill was getting one for the house and investing a hundred bucks in an old tv/dvd combo player. I've watched every episode of The West Wing, The Wire, Deadwood, In Treatment, and several other shows while busting my hump on that treadmill. After six years, I just recently had to call in servicing for the first time. The repairs were costly (about $400) but I consider it a direct investment in my health. Plus, it's still cheaper than Joanna's gym membership.

I've also lost about 12 pounds over the last two months. I was already in decent shape, but I stepped on a scale for the first time in about a year and was surprised by the amount of weight I'd gradually collected. Must be a hitting-middle-age thing. I've got genetics working against me, too, so I'm paranoid about cholesterol and sugar levels. I still want to lose about 3 more pounds.

Joanna and I did an interesting experiment for a couple of weeks this summer. We both downloaded the Lose It! iPhone app, which greatly simplifies calorie-counting and exercise-tracking. It only took a couple weeks of tracking everything I ate to realize how true the old wisdom is. For me, the difference between gaining/losing weight each day comes down to portion size, calories from drinks, and basic physical activity. Since using Lose It! I've only eaten too much in a single sitting twice, and I can clearly remember both times.

Way to go Christian and Darren!

Yeah, Christian... The Halloween candy has been tough. Fortunately for me, no Milk Duds in anyones bags this year! I havent had chips in the house for a few years, but i do still buy whole grain Goldfish and pretzels. I guess those are still technically "chippy"-- they provide my greatest pre-dinner food temptation. Since I cook dinner for the kids every evening, grazing and picking while working is still a personal danger zone. Alcohol down to a minimum...I drink scotch only on the weekends and I have kissed the hops goodbye-- at least as a regular beverage-- for now.

Greg, you lost thirty pounds since August? That's great. And good tips from Darren on distracting oneself during running.

It's simple, really, isn't it? Take in less calories than you expend. Why is it so incredibly hard to implement! I have three candy jars within twenty feet of my cubicle. I'm lucky with my metabolism, and have never had to fight weight (except when it's laying across my face), but still--I have no willpower.

But I do have a new goal: Back to 250 by Christmas. 35 lbs to go.

Greg, you lost thirty pounds since August?

Yeah... an impending divorce will do that to ya. 8O

August felt like I was living in an emotional concentration camp, so weight loss was far from the initial goal. But Sept.- Oct. were the liberation months for me and my fitness/weight goals were much more focused and intentional. I needed to feel better about me and disciplining my eating and physical activities was one way for me to achieve that. I'm averaging about 30 miles a week now and will start to step it up gradually throughout November. Feeling great.